Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 10
29 January 2015 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I've not found that good of a resource with examples, however the appendix of "Colloquial Czech" has a list of prepositions and the cases that they govern. Many of the prepositions also have an example sentence.

When it came to learning case governance, the only way to get things right was to practice. Sometimes a preposition would be introduced because of its association with a certain case. For example if a chapter's dialogue had several examples of instrumental, the accompanying notes would first expound on the function or senses of the instrumental, and then cover a few if not all of the prepositions that govern that case. In other instances, I would see a short remark in the accompanying notes that a given preposition governs this case or that without a rationalization or detailed explanation given (not that this was always necessary).

Polish and Russian cases do correspond more or less to Czech ones, although those in Polish are closer. Polish also retains the vocative singular whereas in Russian it's effectively gone as in Slovak with its manifestations now treated as relics or fossilized elements rather than a functional case. In any case, you shouldn't encounter similar problems as you did with German or Latin.

On a related note, when you compare the respective sets of prepositions in Polish and Russian with yours in Czech, the Russian one differs more than the Polish one. It's not only because Russian has a few prepositions that are not found in Czech (or Polish) (e.g через “across, over; in, through” etc.), but also the case governance, usage or meaning can differ from the Czech cognate (e.g. po takes accusative or locative but по takes accusative, dative or locative).
2 persons have voted this message useful

vixsta
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

11 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech, Georgian

Message 10 of 10
29 January 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys for your help, I'll work through heaps of examples and hopefully I'll get
the hang of it :-) Every language has their "strange" rules I guess.

Cavesa: I'll check out "Cvičebnice anglické gramatiky" a bit further down the road, thank
you!
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version