Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3576 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 17 of 32
13 February 2015 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
It sounds like you have it all planned and are making a lot of progress well done -- I
now think that I ought to organise things a bit more :P

I think it's a good idea to do various things so you do not have to "force" yourself into
doing "it".

I personally try to do an assimil lesson as often as possible (I read it, hear it, the
next day I re-do it, briefly, and then do the next lesson.

Try to speak with Italians, if you happen to find an Italian section on a forum or
something you might be able to get in touch with some, or look for a tandem partner it's
really a big help in your language learning process!
2 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 18 of 32
20 February 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I definitely find speaking to be helpful. I spent quite a bit of time speaking with my nonna and nonno in Italian over
the weekend when I stayed with them. We watched the Italian channel for something like 6 hours then discussed it,
so it was really great to get some practice.

I've kind of slacked off this week. I'm currently waiting a cyclone to pass through, so I just haven't been in the mood
to do any work on Italian, even today (the day it shall hit) when we're just waiting around at home with no work.

My big road trip is set to be early this week, which is good as it means I can really get a lot of study done in the
process. I'll be on the road all day and hope to listen to various native and learning materials the entire time. We'll
see how it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 32
04 March 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Just repeating my post that went away:

dandt wrote:
My plan from here, for the next week at least, is to try to be more consistent with my learning. I'm all over the place generally, and that needs to change. I'm going to aim for at least one hour per day, but hopefully can manage
much more than that. I want to read at least 10 pages of Hunger Games by this time next week. I also want to write 200 words. Basically, I just want to up my native material exposure.

One hour a day is still a lot. I recommend you to consider the idea of mini-habits. The most important thing in language learning is what you do when you don't feel like studying. If you do go for a large chunk like 30-60 min, at least don't worry about making up for "missed" days. Just continue.

You may also like the consistency thread. It's not been in use for a few months but I've been thinking of starting a new one again.

If it takes you a week to read 10 pages, that's not massive exposure :/ But see reading strategies and don't worry about the words you "should have looked up" :)

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 20 of 32
04 March 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Just to post what I have saved and summarise what I wrote.

I've been noticing progress lately, which is really great. Things are starting to click, and I can really
see improvement. My learning isn't consistent, but it's still going, which I suppose is good. I've been
working with Linguaphone and Michel Thomas a lot, mainly because using the audio tools are easy
right now. I've also been trying to write something small at least once a day for corrections on lang-8
and am finding that useful. I'm not sure if it is writing itself that is useful more so than the corrections,
and I suspect that it may be at this point.

Also, it seems I am now solidly an A1 after doing a few online quizzes. I'm not great at talking about
myself, which is one of the things apparently you can do by A1, but I haven't really studied much of
that stuff, so that doesn't worry me.

Serpent wrote:
dandt wrote:
My plan from here, for the next week at least, is to try to
be more consistent with my learning. I'm all over the place generally, and that needs to change. I'm
going to aim for at least one hour per day, but hopefully can manage
much more than that. I want to read at least 10 pages of Hunger Games by this time next week. I also
want to write 200 words. Basically, I just want to up my native material exposure.

One hour a day is still a lot. I recommend you to consider the idea of
mini-habits. The most important
thing in language learning is what you do when you don't feel like studying. If you do go for a
large chunk like 30-60 min, at least don't worry about making up for "missed" days. Just continue.

You may also like the TID=37728&PN=0&TPN=1">consistency thread. It's not been in use for a few months but I've
been thinking of starting a new one again.

If it takes you a week to read 10 pages, that's not massive exposure :/ But see
reading strategies
and don't worry about the words you "should have looked up" :)

Grazie Mille.

I really do need to work on smaller amounts. I have long commutes this year and need to be able to
utilise it better without worrying about missing my stop or bus transfer. My difficulty is, being a full
time student, studying on something for even an hour a day does not seem like much and it is easy to
feel like I need to be studying more, but I'm slowly realising that learning a language is not the same
as studying the law, or maths, or politics and the other things I study.

I would definitely join if there was a new consistency challenge. I'm trying to do ~some~ Italian every
day.
Cavesa wrote:
Awesome log, thanks for sharing!

I really admire your consistency and hard work. And the results you're noticing are
just the beginning, I'm sure you are on the best way to success.

How do you find Italian Duolingo? I really like it for German (even though I totally
agree with you it's a good practice but not a stand alone learning tool due to lack of
explanations) but the Spanish one is bad in several ways. Is the Italian good?

About Assimil. Even the passive wave doesn't have to be that passive, depends on your
learning style. I am using my German Assimil as the spine connecting all the pieces of
German lying around (in quite a chaos). I found it useful to look up things I
encounter in Assimil in grammar books. And to spend time reading out lound and
repeating after the audio a lot. Really, it doesn't have to feel passive. And I am not
sure why would one postpone Assimil, it is usually a good beginner resource, even
though I don't know the Italian one (I did only two lessons in past).

So, what is the Italian Assimil like? Are the texts fun? Is the learning curve steep?
Useful vocabulary or lots of irrelevant things? Do you like the audio?

Is the Italian Buffy dubbing good? I didn't get to watching Buffy as a teenager and,
having read about emk's great success with the French Buffy, I thought of finding an
excuse to watch it. ;-)

Thanks for sharing all the information, Italian is the next on my hit list and that is
another reason why I really appreciate such sources of information. And your log is
just awesome, don't you dare to claim it boring again ;-)

Aww thank you!

Okay so I really do like duolingo though I can't compare it to much else. I like drills (oh why there is
no full FSI Italian Course!) and wish they had explanations, but I think it is great for q free site. My
friend has done some of German with her younger sister (they have to do it for school) and liked it,
but it is interesting to know that the languages have differing quality. I had a three week streak going
but broke it around a week ago and need to get into it all again.

As for Assimil, I'm not really sure how great the Italian one is. I'm sure it is good. I Was postponing it
as I read that one gets more from it with some knowledge already, but also because I was time poor
when beginning. I might actually start it again now that I have a little more time. I didn't really use it
much when I was studying French as I felt I didn't get much out of it, so it is good to hear how others
use it. I had actually forgotten that I have it in my arsenal now, so I might give it a go when I get home
from classes today.

As for Buffy, I'm probably not the best person to talk about the Italian version. I've seen only a few
episodes, but
eyðimörk has used it quite a lot. Their log is "Italian the lazy way" (I am on mobile right now, so
checking is difficult). I like the dub, though perhaps I just like Buffy no matter what. I may have
posted a link to the Italian dub of Buffy somewhere in this log. I know that I used language learning
as an excuse to watch Buffy again when I was working on French, though I used the subtitles too
much.

---
eyðimörk wrote a bit about the dub and said that it's a great dub though the subtitles usually
correlate to the English rather than the Italian, which I was pleased to hear as I had issues with my
subs not lining up and was glad to see that it was across the whole series, not just the subs that I
had found online.

Edited by dandt on 04 March 2015 at 10:55pm

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3880 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 21 of 32
06 March 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
This is what was said about the dub:

eyðimörk wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
Is the Italian Buffy dubbing good? I didn't get to watching Buffy as a teenager and, having read about emk's great success with the French Buffy, I thought of finding an excuse to watch it. ;-)

I wasn't the person asked, but I'll jump in any way. :)

The Italian Buffy dub is really excellent, in my opinion. They have put a significant amount of effort into the timing and the voice actors seem to give it their all and emote in a convincing way (caveat: I started learning Italian two months ago which might have an effect on how I perceive things; if I understood the subtle nuances of the words I might find it over the top, I don't know). In this respect I find the Italian voice actors significantly better than the French, who I found to only half-heartedly emote, which made it occasionally a little bit jarring to watch given the high level of emotion on the screen.

I should note that I jumped into the Italian dub in season three. If you start with earlier seasons the dub might be not quite as good. That was the case with the French version — because they picked up a series with an uncertain future and got a better budget once the series went big, I assume (my impression might also be slightly coloured by the fact that I was still getting used to dubbing in general at the time of watching).

As for the quality of the Italian subtitles, although it wasn't asked for, they generally differ from what is being said in the dub. Generally, most of the words are there but not necessarily conjugated the same or in the same order. This, of course, isn't surprising since they were made to fit the English voice track. They usually match the English subs perfectly, though.

Aaaand that was way more than I ever thought I'd be able to say about a single dub. I'll go back to my cooling cappuccino and breakfast roll now.

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4383 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 22 of 32
06 March 2015 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Too bad my post was lost, I'll try to see if I can restore it :/

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 23 of 32
07 March 2015 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
I've been meaning to do it for a while, but some mishaps with the internet connection and my quest
to avoid doing actual study (for university, not Italian) led to me finally getting around to making an
audio deck for anki. I've been going through my Glossika recordings and picked a few dozen
sentences to turn into cards. The cards I've done seem to be really good, and I should make some
more in the next few days. I think that just making the cards was a really useful learning strategy.

I'm also trying to do some duolingo today as I got slack with doing it regularly. I have so much review
to do, though I know that I haven't really lost much progress in terms of forgetting things, as I tested
into the same level when I started a new account to see if I could remedy the time zone issue (i
couldn't). That was really reassuring.

I also spent quite a long time today working through my grammar book. I have been neglecting it
lately, and while I know that I am picking up things without doing too much formal grammar study, I
really do feel like it is important to take a structured approach to learning grammar as well. I've
actually now (finally) finished the first 'chapter' of the grammar book which focused on nouns. Best
thing is that I only made a few mistakes in the entire section, and those mistakes were pretty much all
in the articles, and that's the section I'm moving onto now.

Finally, a big thanks to Cavesa for encouraging me to give Assimil another try. Not only am I finding it
to be much better than I had remembered/expected, but it's also easy enough to do each day.

Edited by dandt on 07 March 2015 at 6:10am

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 24 of 32
07 March 2015 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Look at me, spamming my log (again). I swear it is for good reasons. I've spent most of today studying Italian. I should have been doing my readings for my next week of classes, but I didn't feel like sitting at my
desk all day. Instead, I sat on my bed learning all day.

As said above, I made my flashcards and have queued them all up. I only covered a few cards today, and decided to start with only 5 or so per day to begin, mainly because I only made 40 (it felt like so many
more) and I doubt I'll get a chance to make more before next weekend. I may make some more tomorrow, depending on other plans. I just picked sentences that I thought were useful for me or ones that had
interesting/complicated grammar. I want to try to make cards more often whenever I come across useful vocabulary or sentences.

I then spent such a long time working on grammar. I really feel like I'm making strides with it, and actually found myself being able to identify where various diminutive, pejorative and augmentative nouns were
used when I was reading afterwards. I didn't really memorise anything in the grammar book, even the various rules, but rather focused on the drills. As I see it, I can easily look into the book for reference where
necessary. I'm not sure if that was the right approach to take. I really didn't mind sitting and doing the drills and working through the book for a long time today. I thought it was a good way to do it and I really
did feel like I was building on the knowledge. I think that sitting down and knocking out a heap of grammar work, whether it be once or twice a week, is a good way for me to work. I'm going to try and do some
reviews throughout the week, but I honestly do think that I might just work on my grammar on weekends. As I improve and get further along in everything else, perhaps I'll find that I want to increase that.

I've mentioned a few times that I've been trying to write every day. I did some more writing today and it seems to be my longest little bit of writing that I've put on lang-8 (at 58 words!). Everything I write is pretty
small, but I'm finding it is easier for me to make myself write something every day if I know I can just put something small up for corrections. I signed up for the Output challenge, and I really need to be writing
more if I have any hope of completing it. I've decided that I am going to try to write a minimum of 80 words each day for the next week, even if it means writing a little in the morning and a little at night. Having
worked on Michel Thomas a lot, I know that I can produce sentences, at least verbally, so I just have to work on doing the same thing with writing. I know that I can do it, though I just need to spend some time
doing it.

I spent time doing all my review on Duolingo as well. That took much longer than expected, but I finally managed to get on top of it all. It really shows how it's important to keep reviewing. Another thing I did
was to take an extended Italian quiz. I scored 0.74/5, which is pretty bad but I know there were questions I could easily have answered when I was regularly reviewing Duolingo, so I don't really mind that I got a
pretty bad score. The whole point of taking it was to see how much I improve over time. I'm hoping to try the quiz again in a fortnight.

I did some reading too and I used some of the reading strategies suggested earlier. I'm still in the first chapter of my book but I suspect I will finish that chapter tonight. The book is definitely above my level and
probably isn't the best book to read as a beginner, but I was so surprised to find it in Italian on the ibooks store that I bought it on impulse. I grabbed a few samples of some other 'young adult' books I've read
in the past few years as well, so I might give them ago if Hunger Games continues to be difficult. I should just read Harry Potter, but I don't want to just yet.

As anyone reading my log will have gleaned, I'm using a lot of audio-based materials. The main reason is that it means I can easily learn while commuting. I spend at least 2 hours on the bus most days,
sometimes up to 4 hours, so listening to Michel Thomas or Linguaphone seems like a good use of my time. While the bus means I can't actually speak, I do tend to 'whisper'. I vocalise as much as possible
when at home. When I can sit on the bus, I read or use duolingo (at least I plan to use duolingo), but when I don't have a seat, which is a lot of the time, it just makes more sense to listen, at least for me.

Another reason I am using primarily audio based programs is that, as a law student, I spend a lot of time learning from books. While I have no problem doing so, and I am well suited to it, I find that I need to
strongly differentiate learning languages from my university studies. I feel as though not doing so is why I took so long to make so little progress with french and why I feel my learning eventually fizzled out,
despite having perfect opportunities to continue learning. Other than my grammar book, pretty much all my learning is very much not associated with books. Even with my grammar, I'm not going over it and
working through drills nearly as regularly as I should. It's taken me over a month to get through only the first section, and it is not because it is difficult, but because I just find myself craving learning that isn't
'book based'. If I'm using books, it's too similar to my uni work, and I find myself prioritising everything else over language precisely because 'it doesn't matter' (at least for assessment) and is 'just' for fun.

Finally, I've booked a 30 minute lesson on iTalki for monday night. I'm not exactly sure that I want to do it now because I feel like I make so many stupid mistakes and I have difficulties remembering under
pressure, but decided that I'm better off doing it now than waiting for when I feel like I'm 'good enough'.

My goals for the week are just to be fairly consistent. I want to try to watch the Italian news most days as it's on at a time that works well for me.I want to make sure I continue to write most days and that I keep
up with assimil. Basically, I want to do at least something every day.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version