Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 38
29 January 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
* I've thought of continuing self study to the point i'm very proficient (C1 above) these languages, then do a
degree for the token piece of paper which would also enable excellent grades (a selling point for employment,
right?). Lately I'm rather anti-establishment, and so I believe anyone can teach themselves anything, why
shoud we have to have education dictated to us via a university just because 'the system' says we do and
therefore we must follow? However if I were to have any piece of paper to be proud of, it would be nice of it to
be a language degree. For realzio, word.

Well, flip it around. Let's imagine that you're on the hiring committee in an Australian hospital, and a nurse applies from France. Let's say he has French nursing training, and a degree in English as a foreign language from a French university. So here are my questions:

1. How much faith do you put in an English degree from a French university? Would you instead mostly rely on your conversations with the candidate during the interview? Would you be more willing to invite somebody in for an interview if they had attended nursing courses in Australia? What about if they had previously worked in an English-speaking environment?

2. If your hospital requires an official English certificate, do they accept certificates given by French organizations? If not, whose certificates will they accept?

When I ask myself these questions, I feel that an English degree from a French university wouldn't be terribly convincing. But somebody who had solid professional skills, and who could obviously function in English? That would seem like a pretty good bet. As Khaztumoto has pointed out, if you can produce a Japanese resume with no mistakes and handle an hour-long interview with no major problems, most places won't care about what language certificates you've got. Most small to medium employers don't even know the names of language certification exams.

Anyway, here are some links:

- Infirmières étrangères souhaitant venir travailler en France. It looks like Australian nurses are recognized by the UK, and that recognition can be transferred to France. If that fails, it's apparently possible to go through a special procedure and see if your certificates and degrees can be transferred. See the article for details.

- Infirmière aux USA, un statut de liberté ! A nice article about a French nurse who moved to the United States. If you work backwards from what she says about the US, you can figure out some interesting things about the French nursing system.

- Médecins sans frontières. If you speak French and English, and you have any kind of nursing qualifications, you might be able to volunteer for MSF. Apparently they're very happy to get their hands on bilingual volunteers. And active MSF volunteers go to lots of different places, and help a lot of people. See their volunteer's blogs for lots of stories.

- American Hospital of Paris. This is a very high-end, professional hospital in Paris. I was actually treated there once for an arm injury, and I was quite impressed. I mean, you'd probably spend some your time caring for deposed dictators and whatnot, but it certainly looked like a nice hospital, and the doctor actually had time to provide very good care. (And it cost no more than a US emergency room.)

But honestly, some of this advice is colored by my personal learning style: I prefer to throw myself into situations where I need the language, and then struggle to adapt. Step-by-step courses take far too long, and very few of them guarantee useful results. (The exception are high-end immersion courses, which are expensive.) And so if I want to improve my academic French, my first impulse isn't to look for an "Academic French" course at a local university—rather, my first impulse is to look for an online university course for native French speakers, and to try to keep up. Once you reach a solid B1, there's a lot to be said for studying other subjects using your L2.

If you're interested in translation, I'd definitely look for some kind of "value added" specialty where quality and domain knowledge matter a lot. Low-end translation is under continual pressure from computer translation and humans assisted by specialized software, and I imagine things will be even rougher in 10 years, especially for a language pair like French/English. I don't know much about the translation industry, but I do know something about the software tools, and I suspect that they're going to continue to exert massive pressure on low-end translation markets.
7 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5265 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 10 of 38
30 January 2015 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
For what it's worth, I read your post and think getting the nursing degree would clearly
be the better option. My perspective is based on being in the US so my perspective may be a bit different.
That being said, it seems to me that getting the nursing degree and continuing with your self study of
languages is clearly the way to go. It just seems to give you so many more viable life opportunities.

When I thought about these things I did not know what I wanted to do long-term so I thought about my
degrees (Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate) in terms of which would give me more opportunities (which
would open more doors) as my life developed and I figured out what I wanted to do. In retrospect that was the
right thing for me. I suggest you think about it like that.   

A nursing degree is something that is very useful and may open doors you don't even know exist. A language
degree seems not much more useful to me than having any Bachelors degree and a tested proficiency in a
language.

Disclaimer: You are asking for advice from strangers on the internet that you know nothing about so take all
advice with a grain of salt. Maybe you could talk to someone you know well and respect and ask their advice
too?

Hi James29,
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if you understood correctly or whether I'm understanding your terminology
incorrectly. I already have a degree in nursing. This isn't something I was potentially looking at doing in the
future as as I already have a BA in nursing. Perhaps you meant pursue the nursing in France and get my BA
recognized there?

With regards to strangers/people I know providing advice. That's a very sensible suggestion. The one person
who know's me best with regards to weighing up decisions is my wife. We've had numerous discussions
regarding my/our future path over recent years as and recently and it certainly has helped. I thought I'd 'air'
my thoughts on here as it would provide different food for thought and responses, and further insight to the
value of doing a language degree within the framework of moving to France. All that has occurred here and
I'm very grateful for those who have taken the time kindly reply.

I also seem to be leaning towards your suggestion of continuing self study of languages. I really do enjoy it
and from what yourself and others have pointed out, doing a language degree in Australia may not amount to
much. I can certify my own levels via exams and if I really want to do sth in say French, or Spanish, i'm
probably best off doing this in country, not here. Also it might be more logical to simply self study as I am and
do some other kind of course in French once settled down over there. There's a lot of flexibility in self study
and I'm very good now at remaining motivated. Then utilizing what I already have (nursing) does make sense.
I'll just make arrangements perhaps long term to potentially move out of nursing in the twilight of my career
(perhaps into natural therapies of some kind, not necessarily languages). Anyway that's my current line of
thought :)

Thanks again James29

PM

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5265 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 11 of 38
30 January 2015 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
* I've thought of continuing self study to the point i'm very
proficient (C1 above) these languages, then do a
degree for the token piece of paper which would also enable excellent grades (a selling point for employment,
right?). Lately I'm rather anti-establishment, and so I believe anyone can teach themselves anything, why
shoud we have to have education dictated to us via a university just because 'the system' says we do and
therefore we must follow? However if I were to have any piece of paper to be proud of, it would be nice of it to
be a language degree. For realzio, word.

Well, flip it around. Let's imagine that you're on the hiring committee in an Australian hospital, and a nurse
applies from France. Let's say he has French nursing training, and a degree in English as a foreign language
from a French university. So here are my questions:

1. How much faith do you put in an English degree from a French university? Would you instead mostly rely
on your conversations with the candidate during the interview? Would you be more willing to invite somebody
in for an interview if they had attended nursing courses in Australia? What about if they had previously
worked in an English-speaking environment?

I'd not necessarily feel as confident about a potential French employee with an English degree from France,
as opposed to a French person with an English language degree from the UK, US, Canada, NZ, Ireland, or
Australia. From a nursing perspective I would not give two hoots about an English language degree, I'd be
looking entirely at their nursing background and of course they would have had to pass an English language
test of some kind that is recognized in Australia. To be clear though, I never meant to do a language degree
in order to do nursing overseas. I was intersted in doing a languages BA just out of pure interest. But clearly
you demonstrate that this would not really amount to much in terms of the plan to live in France. However it
would bring enjoyment, but it would work against the goal of getting to France. Thus I'd be better off on just
getting to France and studying on my own. Not to get off track too much though, I understand your point emk
and it is something I have considered before, and I agree you're absolutely right, I should consider this more
than I have been. Your logic is impeccable. This degree here in Australia studying French and another/other
language(s) would theoretically not amount to much in terms of attaining my goals and have a selling point for
gaining employment in France. As James29 said think of it in terms of opening doors, you're right emk, this
would not open that many.

emk wrote:

2. If your hospital requires an official English certificate, do they accept certificates given by French
organizations? If not, whose certificates will they accept?

I do not know the answer to this one exactly, but if it goes anything like other major languages, passing a
specific level of an exam in the given language (B2,C1 level for eg) would suffice no matter where it was
done in the world, provided it's the international standard provider of the exam (eg Alliance Française for
French B2/C1 exam). A language exam would be irrelevant. The conversational level evidenced in an
interview backed up by the required exam pass would suffice. But again I must point out that I was interested
in doing a language BA in order to get into nursing, rather I was interested in doing this outright as a personal
interest. Yet again tho, I see your point and I totally agree with it. The languages BA done in Australia would
not open any doors in this respect.

emk wrote:

When I ask myself these questions, I feel that an English degree from a French university wouldn't be terribly
convincing. But somebody who had solid professional skills, and who could obviously function in English?
That would seem like a pretty good bet. As Khaztumoto has pointed out, if you can produce a Japanese
resume with no mistakes and handle an hour-long interview with no major problems, most places won't
care about what language certificates you've got. Most small to medium employers don't even know the
names of language certification exams.

This makes perfect sense emk. Although I'd add that despite some workplaces not caring about the language
certificates, some require them by law. When my wife was offered a position in Rotterdam in nursing they said
we can see you can speak some Dutch but we want to employ you anyway despite your Dutch not being at a
higher level, as we don't mind speaking English until you get your Dutch up to a higher professional level, we
just need to check with human resources. Low and behold they could not hire her as she had not passed a
B2 Dutch language exam (wouldn't matter where it was taken). I know I'm getting off track. Had she clearly
illustrated a high level of Dutch tho, they'd still need to see the certificate for official records. Again I agree,
language BA not required. Again it wasn't my aim to do a language degree to open nursing doors. It was my
aim to do this out of enjoyment or to gain employment in the language field. You're right though, in many
places just producing a decent CV and getting through a decent interview without issue would be received
very well in the eyes of the employers.

emk wrote:

Anyway, here are some links:

- travailler-en-france.html">Infirmières étrangères souhaitant venir travailler en France. It looks like
Australian nurses are recognized by the UK, and that recognition can be transferred to France. If that fails, it's
apparently possible to go through a special procedure and see if your certificates and degrees can be
transferred. See the article for details.

I have visited this site on numerous occasions. To my understanding foreign nurses wishing to nurse in
France have two options - have their qualifications formerly assessed as Australian nursing qualifications are
not recognized without this process. Further education is likely to be required. Just because they are
recognized in the UK (actually a short-ish course of some sort is required there from recollection) does not
mean France will recognize it at all. But the 2nd path- those with EU citizenship from another member state
but have a degree from another non EU country can have their qualifications recognized in France IF the EU
country of the person holding the relevant citizenship recognizes the qualifications. Thus, judging by this rule,
as I have a Dutch p'port I'd need to have my qualifications recognzed in the Netherlands. This would mean (I
am not certain) that I'd need to pass a Dutch B2 exam and have my qualifications assessed by the relevant
Dutch authority. I believe I would have to do the Dutch B2 exam as you cannot get onto the nursing register in
the Netherlands without jumping through all these hoops. THEN I could nurse in France. The way I interpret
the rule is that I can't go to the UK as I don't hold a UK passport (I could go there but it wouldn't help me get
into France), as I have to have those qualifications recognizes in the country in which I hold the passport. If
i'm incorrectly interpreting the rule but am not sure, it's a large gamble to relocate to the UK on the off chance
it helps me get into France.

Then add to this that i'm not overly satisfied with the profession these days. Why then would I want to work in
a country in which Nursing ratio's a LOT heavier than here in the state of Victoria, Australia. I would feel very
very dissatisfied. Still I know what some ppl might be thinking, if I want to open doors and get into France
then perhaps I need to put up with these downsides. Fair point, a point which I tend to agree with in part
depending what my other options are....

One of which is Switzerland. The working conditions in the French speaking cantons (as opposed to France
itself) are much better.   

emk wrote:

- liberte.html">Infirmière aux USA, un statut de liberté ! A nice article about a French nurse who moved to
the United States. If you work backwards from what she says about the US, you can figure out some
interesting things about the French nursing system.

I read over this one, thanks emk. Interesting stuff. I have read similar blogs/articles on other nurses who are
French and have gone to work in Geneva (better conditions apparently, this is where I found more information
on the conditions in France when comparing the two), French Polynesia & New Caledonia, and Australia
(more very relevant comparisons- not inviting working conditions for an Aussie nurse in France). I did
however read some favourable comparisons of UK nurses working in France so it's not all bad, apparently.

emk wrote:

- Médecins sans frontières. If you speak French and English, and you have
any kind of nursing qualifications, you might be able to volunteer for MSF. Apparently they're very happy to
get their hands on bilingual volunteers. And active MSF volunteers go to lots of different places, and help a lot
of people. See their volunteer's blogs for lots of stories.

It is something I've considered but probably not that viable as my wife and child may not be able to tag along
to these places, and i'm particularly interested in Francophone Europe. Nevertheless I aim to read over this
information you have provided. Thanks :)

emk wrote:

- American Hospital of Paris. This is a very high-end,
professional hospital in Paris. I was actually treated there once for an arm injury, and I was quite impressed. I
mean, you'd probably spend some your time caring for deposed dictators and whatnot, but it certainly looked
like a nice hospital, and the doctor actually had time to provide very good care. (And it cost no more than a
US emergency room.)

I have also read about this American Hospital of Paris. I'll check out the link you provided. It's a relevant
option :)

emk wrote:

But honestly, some of this advice is colored by my personal learning style: I prefer to throw myself into
situations where I need the language, and then struggle to adapt. Step-by-step courses take far too long,
and very few of them guarantee useful results. (The exception are high-end immersion courses, which are
expensive.) And so if I want to improve my academic French, my first impulse isn't to look for an "Academic
French" course at a local university—rather, my first impulse is to look for an online university course for
native French speakers, and to try to keep up. Once you reach a solid B1, there's a lot to be said for studying
other subjects using your L2.

Despite being a course fiend, I can certainly relate to this, When I am in the environment I love being in the
'deep end' and I love my courses. You are right, there is a lot to be said for studying other subject using L2.
I've found this to be true even in reading things online that are simply where my interests lie. Due to this I
have considered doing a cours in naturopathy in French and I began looking into this recently. I found an
excellent course out of Québec which offers materials in English or French (i'd be happy to pay more to get
both provided). I stopped researching as I found I would need to improve my language further before
considering such a course, and the recognition of naturopaths in other countries (ie their corresponding
education levels) differs considerably. Not to mention it may or may nor necessarily open many doors.
Imagine a Québec educated Australian arriving in France to be a naturopath. Sounds like a recipe for
disaster.

emk wrote:

If you're interested in translation, I'd definitely look for some kind of "value added" specialty where quality and
domain knowledge matter a lot. Low-end translation is under continual pressure from computer translation
and humans assisted by specialized software, and I imagine things will be even rougher in 10 years,
especially for a language pair like French/English. I don't know much about the translation industry, but I do
know something about the software tools, and I suspect that they're going to continue to exert massive
pressure on low-end translation markets.

Interesting points again emk. Doing medical translation is probably my most likely avenue were I to go down
this path. That is unlikely (going down this path) as it's appearing too competitive and not worth the effort. The
way I see it I may need to have a PhD in linguistics from a renowned university with some astounding
experience with my languages. I'm not suggesting I shut this door, but I at least need to get a LOT better
before I consider higher end translation. That quite frankly is a LONG way off and not really viable for the
move to France.

Sorry if I have been a little repetitive emk at times. I really appreciate your input here. I've said it before and
I'll say it again, you're an extremely helpful individual, cheers mate :)

PM
2 persons have voted this message useful

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 38
30 January 2015 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Aussie pride!

Well, I'm about to start uni @ U Syd, and I'm doing French as a major as part of my Arts degree. I'll let you know
how useful I find the course vs self-studying (as I'm currently doing and will continue to do). I suspect that, in your
case, it won't really be worth doing a whole degree. However, I don't know anything about this stuff.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5265 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 13 of 38
30 January 2015 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
liam.pike1 wrote:
Aussie pride!

Well, I'm about to start uni @ U Syd, and I'm doing French as a major as part of my Arts degree. I'll let you
know
how useful I find the course vs self-studying (as I'm currently doing and will continue to do). I suspect that, in
your
case, it won't really be worth doing a whole degree. However, I don't know anything about this stuff.

Thanks Liam! And good luck!

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 14 of 38
30 January 2015 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to pipe up again. My daughter is doing a degree to become a Paramedic and after speaking with her it occurred to me there may be another option you might consider. Cross-training.

If you are tired of being a nurse, but have all those qualifications it might be possible to do a lateral jump into some other section of the medical field. You could do the training for this jump in France and make the transition directly into the health care system there. Hypothetically, say you were going to cross-train into the field of operating room technician (Technicien(ne) en salle d'opération). You could apply for the course in Paris and hopefully a lot of your degree would be transferable. After completing the course your French would be fluent, and with a French degree one would assume you could go directly into work in France or elsewhere in the EU.

Kills two birds with one stone, gets you out of nursing, but could cut down the amount of time required to shift to another country.

1 person has voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3631 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 38
30 January 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I've been following the thread, a lot has been said.
For me, your project is unrealistic.
- You have to understand that speaking french is nothing: a lot of emigrants coming from Africa speak french probably as well as you and you'll be in concurrence with them to find a job. If you don't have a good diploma + experience, you can directly send your resume to McDonald's.
- The condition of life in big cities in France are difficult because of the price of flats: near Paris, it's impossible to find something decent under 700 or 800 euros per month: it's really expensive and a major problem for a lot of people. The concurrence is terrible and money is not enough: you need a tons of paperwork, etc. France is the country of paperwork, you also have to take that into consideration.
- Age: you're 38 y.o: on the work french market, it's old: you have to know that after 45 y.o it's almost impossible to find work (except if you create your own business, very difficult with the tax system in France, or if you have a special talent). That's the way it works here, unfortunately.

The life in Australia is probably better than in France currently, really, you should really think twice and have a good B plan before trying something.
3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3888 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 16 of 38
30 January 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Arnaud25 wrote:
(except if you create your own business, very difficult with the tax system in France, or if you have a special talent). That's the way it works here, unfortunately.

I'm no tax lawyer, but I am a sole business owner and an immigrant with a degree that doesn't make much sense in France, and depending on your income, your type of business, etc. you can be taxed as an individual rather than a business, making running a business in France approximately a thousand times simpler. You can even run a SARL in France and get around business taxes, if you're doing it under the right conditions (at least two owners who are closely related).

Edit: If you don't make a whole lot of money straight away, most small businesses can operate under the auto-entrepreneur scheme which takes approximately one hour to set up online. When you start making good money you'll need to upgrade to a different kind of business, though, but you can upgrade to something else that's outside of the business tax system.

Edited by eyðimörk on 30 January 2015 at 1:34pm

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version