United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 1 of 30
30 January 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone!

I've decided I need to keep track of my languages a bit better, and also that I do far
too much lurking and not enough posting on this forum.... Currently, I'm
studying/maintaining at various levels French, Spanish, Icelandic, Polish, and
Japanese. Last year, I made a lot of progress with Spanish-- my reading and aural
comprehension are pretty good-- and I did a good amount of casual Japanese reading
while other languages languished.

Here are some goals and active methods I'm using at the moment:

French: My level is around C1 with my passive skills markedly better than the active.
Hopefully a bit of writing and talking to myself will remedy that to some extent. I've
been reading a lot more classic literature lately, and that is certainly taking the
French to a new level. Back in October, I read Colonel Chabert by Honoré de
Balzac, and right now I'm in the midst of Germinale by Emile Zola. I listen to
Gameblog.fr podcasts and a few Youtube channels in French, but otherwise I haven't
been doing a whole lot of listening. I lost some interest in French after I attained a
certain level, but I'm hoping to keep at it so that I don't lose it.

Spanish: I'm not sure where my level is on this one-- I understand a lot of radio and
television, newspapers, and children's novels. I haven't done much output aside from
short writing assignments. Late last year, I was working through a few Harry Potter
books-- La cámara secreta and El prisoniero de Azkaban. I've been working through El
cáliz de fuego, but the book so heavy that it's deterring me.... I've been listening
to Mexican radio in the mornings, and I had been listening to Spanish national radio
in my office until the IT department blocked all streaming media websites :( I need to
do more with my Spanish since I live in the US and this is the most useful of my
languages while I'm here.

Icelandic: The main project of 2015! I'm going to Iceland at the end of July/beginning
of August for ten days, so my goal to learn as much Icelandic as is physically and
mentally possible. It's proving to be a bit of challenge so far (lack of materials--
there really is a dearth) but that won't stop me. I've been listening to hours of
Icelandic radio and podcasts virtually every day this month (had to switch to podcasts
at work due to the aforementioned IT problem). I've been working through both
Hippocrene Beginner's Icelandic and Teach Yourself Icelandic (the 1960s edition). Both
books are lacking in content-- there just isn't a lot there. While I used Anki
sentences to learn French and Spanish, I thought I would try Icelandic through more
textbook methods considering the lack of materials, but yesterday I decided I'll just
go with Anki again. I don't know if seven months is long enough for the SRS to really
work its magic, but we'll see! I'm mining sentences from both textbooks, I have
another textbook in the mail, and I managed to scrounge up one Icelandic crime novel
from US Amazon: Sér grefur gröf by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir.

Aaaaand Japanese: This one's a weird one for me. My level is not so good, but I've
started Heisig's Remembering the Kanji so many times (and finished it once!) that my
handle on kanji is sorta okay, and I can make out a lot of the text in manga. I've had
a love affair with Japanese since I was twelve, so I feel I owe it to myself (or
Japanese? Anthropomorphisation of languages is always healthy) to learn it to some
level. I literally have piles of Japanese manga and novels, and access to more, so I
feel like this one would be really rewarding. But I suppose all that starting and
stopping has kind of soured Japanese for me. This year, I hope to read manga more
consistently--but still casually-- so that some minute progress is made.

Polish: I'm going to a Polish church! I have a Teach Yourself Polish book, a couple of
novels, and motivation from Polish ancestry. Unfortunately, Polish is taking a bit of
back seat to Icelandic. I'll keep going to Polish church, though.

(Italian, which is totally not on the official list: I have an Italian novel and
Italian podcasts, and it's quite fun to understand some from the French-Spanish
Discount. But it's not serious, I swear.)

So that's that! What a ramble. I hope to update with changed/new methods and sources.
If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

EDIT: forgot to add Polish earlier...

Edited by solocricket on 30 January 2015 at 2:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

dedalus66
Diglot
Australia
Joined 3401 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Greek

Message 2 of 30
31 January 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Do you have much motivation to learn Polish, or is your interest purely because you're of a
Polish background and are going to a Polish church?

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 3 of 30
31 January 2015 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
A few months ago, around September-November, I was pretty motivated and worked through
some Teach Yourself Polish and did some Anki. The motivation, I guess, is that there is a
very lively Polish immigrant community here-- something I never expected, since I´m
currently living in a pretty rural place. I´ve always found the language and culture
very, very fascinating. It would be nice to interact with some people here, but I´m not
planning to do much active studying in the coming months.

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 4 of 30
01 February 2015 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Log Update

ICELANDIC

I've decided to do the 6 week challenge with Icelandic, but just as a personal
challenge (i.e., no Twitter). I'd like to reach A2 by March 14. I've been sentence
mining the last week or so with Anki, and I'm already up to ~250 cards. So, for the
6WC I plan on entering the vast majority of sentences from the Hippocrene textbook and
Teach Yourself, and some from a new textbook I'm getting soon (no idea how many sample
sentences that one has). My goal is ~30 sentences a day.

After only being at Icelandic for a month, things are starting to feel familiar. Once
I've got more basic knowledge, then I'll take a more serious crack at the grammar.

FRENCH

I've been listening to the podcast Monumental, and I'm still reading Germinale. I lost
the plot there for a bit, but I caught back on and it's getting interesting. My goal
every day is to read 2% of the book (on Kindle). I'm only at 24% read, so this book
will take awhile.

SPANISH

Yesterday and today I've been watching/listening to documentaries on Youtube while
making my Icelandic Anki cards. My standby radio station (Radio W from Mexico City)
has been playing a lot of elevator-esque music, and thus has been demoted. I need to
find a better book to read, because Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire just isn't
interesting enough. Might try Esperanca Renace (Esperanza Rising in the original
English), a children's book that might be more fun.

JAPANESE

I've been reading こどものおもちゃ (Kodomo no Omocha), a manga I've read dozens of times
in English, since I was a kid. Since I practically have each speech bubble memorized,
it makes for good comprehensible input. It's a 10 book series, and I've been slowlyyy
working my way through them off and on since August 2013, when I visited a Book-Off in
San Diego. I'm on Volume 6, after ditching Volume 5 halfway through. I'd like to
finish these and start a series series by the end of April.

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 5 of 30
04 February 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Update:

ICELANDIC (6WC)

Going strong! As I've said, I'm not using Twitter for the 6 week challenge, so I'll
log my information here, just for fun.

February 1: I logged 15 minutes for Anki reps, 40 minutes adding sentences, 20 minutes
watching a kid's show (Latabær-- Lazytown), and around two hours worth of radio (I
listened longer, but I'm truncating the time since a lot was passive). Total: 195
minutes of study.

February 2: Same major categories of activities, decided to increase the number of
cards I add per day to ~50. Replaced video-watching with copying out text for ~10
minutes. Total: 220 minutes.

February 3: Anki plus mostly-passive audio. Total: 210 minutes.

FRENCH

FR: Récemmement, j'ai écouté plusieurs podcasts en français. Particuliérement, j'aime
bien Monumental et Gameblog. Monumental est plus formel et plus éducatif (les
locuteurs parlent des sites historiques comme Istanbul ou Hollywood (le Hollywood
nostalgique d'antan bien-sûr... Je sais bien que cette ville n'est pas si majestueuse
que les villes anciennes.)). De plus, j'ai regardé plusieurs vidéos sur Youtube, ceux
qui concernent des livres et la littérature. J'ai vraiment besoin de livres---
Germinale est un peu trop difficile juste maintenant (et un peu trop lassant pour mon
niveau) donc je ne sais pas qu'est-ce que je lirai.

(Donnez-moi des corrections svp !)

EN: Recently, I've been listening to some podcasts in French. I particularly like
Monumental and Gameblog. Monumental is more formal and more educational (the hosts
talk about historic sites like Istanbul and Hollywood (Old Hollywood, and I know very
well that Hollywood is certainly not as grand as ancient cities). Additionally, I've
been watching Youtube videos talking about literature and suggesting new books to
read. I really need some new books-- Germinale has proven too difficult for right now,
and a bit too boring for my level. I don't know what I'll read next.

SPANISH

ES: Todos los días escucho el radio méxicano y leo El País (en línea). ¡Necesito hacer
más! (No puedo cambiar las idiomas con mucha facilidad... Miraba fijamente al monitor
por unos minutos antes de escribir en español)

Listening to radio and reading the El País each day--- need to do more!

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 6 of 30
07 February 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Update:

ICELANDIC -6WC

I'm trying to find ways to increase the amount I do with Icelandic, especially with
the 6 week challenge. I like Anki a lot (especially with sentences) but because it
doesn't take up too too much time, there's plenty of room for more active studying. A
couple days ago I did a couple lessons on Icelandic
and I might add it as a daily or almost-daily thing. I like that it
reinforces a lot that I'm learning from Hippocrene while adding vocabulary that's a
bit outside Hippocrene's "daily life" range of situations. However, I'm not too crazy
about Icelandic Online's presentation. There's plenty of lessons on there, going up to
B1/B2 (apparently), but the lessons consistently introduce a lot of new vocabulary
without defining the words, and they can't easily be figured out from context. I
bounce back and forth between the lesson and an online dictionary, so it gets
tiresome.

On the bright side, my crime novel came in the mail! Now I can spend my time parsing
Sér grefur gröf.

Feb. 4: 45 min. Anki review
50 min. adding cards
10 min. copying text
60 min. passive audio (reduced)
60 min. Icelandic online
Total: 225 min.

Feb 5: 60 min. Anki review
45 min. adding cards
180 min. passive audio (reduced=
5 min. reading Sér grefur gröf
Total: 290 min.

Feb. 6: 60 min. Anki review
60 min. passive audio (reduced)
Total: 120 min.

Edited by solocricket on 07 February 2015 at 10:58pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4327 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 7 of 30
07 February 2015 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Icelandic online has a glossary included. You just need to find it ;)

In case you get frustrated by your Icelandic novel, you could give "Ástin fiskanna" a
try. Short novel (100 pages or so), relatively easy.

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3482 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 8 of 30
07 February 2015 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Oh jeez I just found the glossary on the lesson page (I knew it had a dictionary, but
that just opened to a new window). Thanks! I´ll definitely check out Ástin fiskanna.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version