32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 32
15 February 2015 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
The question is whether it's as incomprehensible as Japanese. I've heard that nowadays Scandinavian kids start understanding English before they even go to school. I think the prestige/importance matters far more than the formal schooling part. And the constant presence that you don't even need to seek, unlike anime fans or input enthusiasts. It's literally easier for Scandinavians to learn English than to avoid it.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4331 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 26 of 32
15 February 2015 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've heard that nowadays Scandinavian kids start understanding English
before they even go to school.

Purely because of input or because of English "teaching" in pre-school? This sort of
playful education seems to get more and more common.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3909 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 27 of 32
15 February 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Purely because of input or because of English "teaching" in pre-school? This sort of playful education seems to get more and more common.

The first time I had a conversation with a native English-speaker in English (the summer I turned nine), I had not had a single official or unofficial introduction to the English language at school, and definitely not pre-school.

What I did have was hours upon hours upon hours daily of English input, ranging from programming for very small children to adults. We had a satellite dish, you see, and I was up early every morning. By age six I was finally reading fast enough to somewhat keep up with subtitles of more difficult shows (Zorro, Batman & Robin, MacGyver), which improved my understanding significantly. If you ask my parents, they pretty much just realised one day that I spoke English. That's a huge exaggeration, of course, because fluency was still a long way away, but I achieved "conversational" English from input alone by age 9. Mind you, I used to lie at school about how much television I watched because the other children watched half as much as I did (I easily averaged 5 hours of English input per day from television alone in primary school).
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 28 of 32
16 February 2015 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
victorhart wrote:

In any case, I think we overall agree, but your last statement is where we disagree.
I'd make a ten-to-one bet (if it were possible to test) that you could throw away all
the formal lessons, and substitute them with communicative methods (just talking,
listening to music, games, reading novels, story writing, etc.), and get the same
results, if not better.

I think so too, but these "informal" methods would still have to be conducted in a
formal setting, ie. being obligatory and having guidance from teachers. Otherwise the
majority just wouldn't do anything. And most wouldn't even know how to start. We have
enough (at least anecdotal) evidence that passively getting exposed to incomprehensible
input in the background + subtitles isn't enough (think all those anime-watchers not
learning any Japanese). You need some kind of "schooling" (of course you can be your
own teacher), the methods you stated are just a different kind of approach than
textbooks.

I know we've had much of this debate before but I think certain things are worth repeating. I don't
think the fundamental argument is between, on the one hand, formal methods, i.e. classroom,
textbooks and, on the other hand, communicative methods such as no classes, no textbooks and just
talking and watching movies, etc.

But before we look at this issue, let's step back a bit and observe how nearly all people achieve high
levels of proficiency in foreign languages. It is inevitably some combination of:

1. Start young, the earlier the better.
2. Live in the country of the language.
3. Study and/or work in the language.
4. Have a significant emotional relationship with a speaker of the target language.

Here is a typical example that I see every day where I work: an Asian student - Korean, Chinese,
Singaporean - attends an English-speaking private school in Canada, makes lots of Canadian friends
and ends up speaking impeccable English.

Similarly, all the people that I've ever met who had great foreign language skills had lived in some sort
of immersion environment. It all boils down to massive exposure, preferably at a young age.

We talk a lot about the excellent English-language skills of the Scandinavians and the Dutch. There is a
reason for this, as was discussed a lot. It should come to no surprise that tiny countries with large
emigrant communities abroad, considerable tourism, languages that are rarely studied abroad, and a
long history of international trade would have show high levels of foreign language proficiency. I
would also add that from my own observation during two trips to Norway, the level of English
proficiency varies considerably according to the exposure to and need for it. I do not think that all
Norwegians are perfectly bilingual.

By the same token, in large countries where few people have a real daily need for a second language
and few opportunities to practice the language, it should not be surprising that levels of
multilingualism are very low. Where I live, there are high levels of English-French bilingualism in the
French-speaking province of Quebec and every low levels elsewhere except for French-speakers who
must know English. Although everybody agrees that knowing a foreign language is a desirable thing,
how many Britons, Americans, Australians, Japanese, Spaniards, Italians, etc. actually are comfortable
speaking a foreign language? Of course, there are people in all these countries who need foreign-
language skills.

What does this have to do with the discussion of formal methods versus "communicative" methods? It's
all a question of the learning environment. Most of the time when we refer to formal methods, we refer
to a high school environment where the students have no real need for the language and very little
contact with the language. The language class is a subject just like any other. The language is not
really taught for the purpose of speaking.

Contrast this with teaching of adults for the purpose of speaking, as one will find in language schools
and even in universities. Just today I met a young woman from Brazil who is doing a Master's degree in
French in her country and came to Montreal for a month just to practice her French.

There is no conflict between formal methods and so-called communicative methods. The conflict is
more in the purpose of language instruction. I'm sure that in many school systems, the goal is not
really to produce speakers but more to pass exams. But if the objective is to produce proficient adult
speakers, then formal methods such as textbooks will be combined with all the communicative stuff.

This is exactly what we do here in Quebec when he have to train large numbers of immigrants to be
able to use French in the workplace.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4869 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 29 of 32
16 February 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
For the Scandinavians: How would you describe your relationship to English growing up?

Did you think from an early age that learning to understand English was just something unremarkable that most
people would naturally do, like learning to read or swim or ride a bike?

Did you feel pressure from parents, teachers, or others to master English because not doing so would mark you
as uneducated and hurt your future prospects?

Among your peers, was it "cool" to be good at English?

Among your peers, were English classes at school considered to be enjoyable, annoying but understood to be
useful, or just annoying?

I would guess that it's not one or a few things that Scandinavians do differently, but rather a whole set of
attitudes toward questions such as these, plus an overall greater amount of input, that distinguish Scandinavians
from countries with less English proficiency. Certainly most Americans would not think of learning a foreign
language as something natural and expected, and that includes those who study one at school. As children,
Americans are exposed to "role models" of people who say things like "Oh yeah, I took Spanish in school, but I
forgot it all. I wish I knew Spanish, though." As if learning Spanish were something that would just happen to a
lucky few with a mythical talent!*

*My own situation cannot be compared to people who grow up in that environment. My own family is super
multilingual.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 30 of 32
16 February 2015 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The question is whether it's as incomprehensible as Japanese. I've
heard that nowadays Scandinavian kids start understanding English before they even go
to school. I think the prestige/importance matters far more than the formal schooling
part. And the constant presence that you don't even need to seek, unlike anime fans or
input enthusiasts. It's literally easier for Scandinavians to learn English than to
avoid it.

It's the same in the Netherlands. I can't speak for myself, as I spent 3 of my
formative years abroad immersed, but I can speak for my brother who wasn't old enough
to speak when we returned home from that sojourn. In our house it was very common at
the time that at certain hours of the day we would have English cartoons dubbed in
Dutch (we would watch those), and we got a lot (and I mean a lot) of computer games
which were all in English. By age 9, my brother hadn't taken a single English class at
school but understood buttloads, a lot more than my parents expected at the time. He
was a bit shy to speak it, but he understood just fine. And when he started doing
English classes he says he just sat there nonplussed wondering why everybody else
thought it was hard - because he was simply used to the language.

He, unlike me, didn't go to English speaking preschools. It's just that my parents
brought home lots of English-language stuff for me that he eventually ended up playing
with and learning from as well. And then after that he had a massive advantage, and to
this day his English is very good.

I've noticed particularly that amongst gamers or people who use the internet very
frequently, English levels tend to be extremely high. Some of my friends who didn't
really take many English classes are excellent English speakers because it's something
they do every day. They will know obscure vocabulary that most English people have
forgotten about because it cropped up in some fantasy game somewhere.

I think it's also a societal attitude in Scandinavia and the Netherlands, yes. That
definitely plays a role

Edited by tarvos on 16 February 2015 at 12:55pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3909 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 31 of 32
16 February 2015 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
For the Scandinavians: How would you describe your relationship to English growing up?

I didn't think about it much. English was simply the medium for reading cool fiction, learning about the occult, reading pop-psychology about past lives, playing computer games, reading about your favourite Disney move online, etc. Knowing some English once made me pretty popular in second grade, for about a week. Then I went back into obscurity.

Being several years ahead of my peers at every grade level, once we actually started learning English at school, though, English was always something that made me "special", which I suppose was partly a motivator to stay ahead.

robarb wrote:
Did you think from an early age that learning to understand English was just something unremarkable that most people would naturally do

I didn't think about it. Every single grown-up around me knew English, regardless of age, which made it pretty unremarkable, I guess, but I doubt I even once thought about the learning process, unlike riding a bicycle.

robarb wrote:
Did you feel pressure from parents, teachers, or others to master English because not doing so would mark you as uneducated and hurt your future prospects?

No, but I was always many years ahead. I was aware, of course, that without a passing grade in English you were not eligible to enter the Swedish equivalent of high school.

If anything, I was made aware quite early on what great prospects I had having reached advanced fluency at a young age. By age 14 I had decided where in the UK I was going to university and chose an anglophone high school for the purpose of being eligible without jumping through extra hoops.

robarb wrote:

At a young age, yes, but not "cool" enough to make someone who wasn't "cool" much cooler.

robarb wrote:
Among your peers, were English classes at school considered to be enjoyable, annoying but understood to be useful, or just annoying?

School was thought to be annoying in general. We did not discuss the usefulness of English or the classes themselves beyond our impression of the teacher. If you had an awesome English teacher, the class was considered enjoyable. If you had a boring teacher, the class was considered boring. Teenagers, in my experience, think less about the subject matter than how they view the experience through a social lens.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 32 of 32
16 February 2015 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:

It was a natural part of my environment and I was often exposed to it. My relationship with it was not quite like a second native language, more like as though English had been the national language and Swedish the regional language.

Quote:
Did you think from an early age that learning to understand English was just something unremarkable that most people would naturally do, like learning to read or swim or ride a bike?

Pretty much, yeah.

Quote:
Did you feel pressure from parents, teachers, or others to master English because not doing so would mark you as uneducated and hurt your future prospects?

Not really. I never struggled to learn English or learned it in school. We had English lessons, of course, but I mostly knew all the stuff except for the formal grammar, but I already had the intuitive grasp. However, I had a significantly better grasp of English than my peers, though I didn't quite realize this until years later.

Quote:

Not really. It was sort of assumed people could speak it and we'd sometimes throw in English words into the conversation. As we grew older, the phenomenon of using an English word because we couldn't remember the Swedish word grew more common, but it was never something used to impress people. Throughout my life, English knowledge has always been assumed. Nobody's ever asked me how good my English is. It's assumed that a Swedish young adult can speak English comfortably, though not necessarily perfectly.

Quote:
Among your peers, were English classes at school considered to be enjoyable, annoying but understood to be useful, or just annoying?

As all classes, mostly boring. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version