United States
Joined 4738 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 7
03 February 2015 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello all!
I just wanted to establish a log. I am also holding down a full time job & studying Anatomy & Physiology in the hopes of getting into nursing school, so my language studies tend to take the back burner to that. I wanted to join a team & start a log to hold myself a little bit accountable.

As an introduction, I am a COMPLETE beginner. I know how to say "hello","goobye", "really?!" and "Don't do that" and that is it. I am a (sigh) monolingual american, as many of us are. I took Spanish for two years in high school and learned nothing, and then Russian in college for two years. I actually got decent at a low-intermediate level, but that has severely waned since not speaking it in seven years. I can still read the alphabet, and sentences, but I most likely don't know what they mean. I am married to a half Dutch-half Spanish man from the Netherlands, & I have been ever envious of his language capabilites. (You lucky Europeans, being forced to learn other languages!) He recently decided he wanted to attempt an asian language, and we both settled on Korean.

Any encouragement or tips are welcomed!

I am registered on italki, but definitely need to get the alphabet down before I even dream of trying a conversation!

I am thinking of trying RocketKorean, or TY Korean, in addition to Korean from Zero! or GenkiKorean.

Any suggestions on best programs?

Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 2 of 7
03 February 2015 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
For Korean, I found that the best textbooks originally written in English are Elementary
Korean and Continuing Korean. Then I continued on with Korean Grammar For International
Learners. You can also get great, free content from Talk To Me In Korean.

B_Hutt
United States
Joined 4738 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes

Message 3 of 7
03 February 2015 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
04 February 2015 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, B_Hutt! I've not used several of the resources that CZ mentioned,
but I have used TTMIK and I wholeheartedly agree on that one. They have a ton of free, high-
quality content there.

B_Hutt
United States
Joined 4738 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes

Message 5 of 7
04 February 2015 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for suggestions! This has been a slowwww start for me as I have a big anatomy test this week that I have been studying for, but this weekend I plan on sitting down and completing my first step, which of course will be to learn the alphabet. I have heard it is a fairly logical system, so hopefully that won't be too difficult!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 6 of 7
05 February 2015 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Hi, B Hutt, I'm in the same situation as you, with a full-time job and medical exams
coming up, so I definitely understand your situation. I also intend on starting Korean
this year, but when exactly, I don't know. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your progress,
as well as from the other veteran members of the team. So good luck this year!

B_Hutt
United States
Joined 4738 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes

Message 7 of 7
05 February 2015 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Woodsei! You as well. It's hard to be an adult sometimes isn't it? Haha :)

Woodsei wrote:
Hi, B Hutt, I'm in the same situation as you, with a full-time job and medical exams
coming up, so I definitely understand your situation. I also intend on starting Korean
this year, but when exactly, I don't know. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your progress,
as well as from the other veteran members of the team. So good luck this year!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version