monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 33 of 35
11 July 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:

Historically Low Level of Activity
The HTLAL is, technologically speaking, a rather old platform that is difficult to maintain. The recurring technical problems, along with a number of other issues, resulted in the agonizing decision to (effectively) abandon the HTLAL as an active discussion board and to replace it with one for which the technical maintenance is significantly easier. The newer, replacement board was launched circa July, 2015. Since that time, most of the more active members of the HTLAL have registered on the newer discussion board and they now only rarely visit this board. This explains the lower level activity here. The HTLAL continues to serve as a highly-appreciated archive of past discussions; however, a quick review of the posting dates reveals that the level of activity has declined to an historically low level.

Wait, are you saying that we are deliberately leaving this forum?
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3812 days ago

507 posts - 1097 votes 
Studies: German

Message 34 of 35
11 July 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly, I appreciate and share your attachment to the HTLAL. Nevertheless, newly-
registered members of the HTLAL are searching for a community of “active” language
enthusiasts with whom they can discuss issues related their shared passion of independent
language-learning. Your comments suggesting that the HTLAL is still an “active” discussion
board are an unwitting disservice to them.

The lengthy discussion which ultimately lead to the reluctant, agonizing decision to launch
a REPLACEMENT forum took place right here in the HTLAL; you participated in those
discussions. Whenever I invite newly-registered members of the HTLAL to register on the
replacement forum, I do so for their benefit, as a fellow language enthusiast, as I would
not want to leave them with the impression that the low level of response to their posts
reflects a lack of interest on the part of the historically-large number of, but now
largely-inactive, members of the HTLAL. Yes, there is a large community of active, engaged,
independent language-learners, but they no longer meet here, they meet on the LLORG and on
other forums.

We have had this discussion before. For all practical purposes, since the fall of 2015,
apart from a handful of members who continue to maintain their individual logs, you are just
about the only member who continues to post more-or-less regularly to this forum. Other
than that, there is no longer any regular activity on the HTLAL, there are virtually no new
discussion threads and there are virtually no additions to the previously-existing
discussion threads. All of the “real activity” now takes place on the new forum, this is an
indisputable fact.

If you wish to support the continued existence of the HTLAL as a truly “active” discussion
board, I suggest that you buy it, that you fix the technical and administrative problems,
that you come to an agreement with the administrators of the LLORG to import all of the
discussion threads to the HTLAL, that you purchase the replacement forum and that you shut
it down permanently and then, that you invite the LLORG members to join you here on the
“revived” HTLAL.

To reiterate, I appreciate and share your attachment to the HTLAL. The problems with the
HTLAL were never related to related to the website’s potential for attracting new members;
rather, the problems were persistent, recurring technical and technical issues that were
very difficult, if not entirely impossible, to resolve. The LLORG was launched as the only
viable alternative. Newly-registered members of the HTLAL are searching for a community of
“active” language enthusiasts with whom they can discuss issues related their shared passion
of independent language-learning. Your comments suggesting that the HTLAL is still an
“active” discussion board are an unwitting disservice to them.

Let’s cease having this discussion.

4 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6312 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 35 of 35
31 July 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:

Historically Low Level of Activity
The HTLAL is, technologically speaking, a rather old platform that is difficult to maintain. The recurring technical
problems, along with a number of other issues, resulted in the agonizing decision to (effectively) abandon the
HTLAL as an active discussion board and to replace it with one for which the technical maintenance is significantly
easier. The newer, replacement board was launched circa July, 2015. Since that time, most of the more active
members of the HTLAL have registered on the newer discussion board and they now only rarely visit this board.
This explains the lower level activity here. The HTLAL continues to serve as a highly-appreciated archive of past
discussions; however, a quick review of the posting dates reveals that the level of activity has declined to an
historically low level.

Wait, are you saying that we are deliberately leaving this forum?

Yes. Link was provided on the previous page.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version