Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Middle Eastern Languages (having trouble)

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
kristinepeterso
United States
ccjk.com/
Joined 3386 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 11
05 February 2015 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
I'd like to learn at least one language from the group of Arabic, Hebrew, and Farsi.
I think Arabic was the one that initially appealed to me the most, as I love the
writing system, the interesting grammatical features like triconsonantal roots, etc.
However, I also am uncertain if Arabic is really the right choice for me, as I
recognize the fact that in order to be able to both speak and write, I am looking at
learning at least MSA and one dialect of Arabic, and then after that possibly
additional dialects, given that a single dialect would only get you so far.
For Hebrew, it seems a somewhat obvious secondary choice, it retains many of the
sounds, vocabulary, and grammatical features of Arabic, though at the same time, it is
the least widely spoken language of the three, and I like the writing system less
(nothing against Hebrew just personal aesthetic preference).
Farsi is a good answer for the writing system, but despite having a fair amount of
Arabic loanwords does not have any real relation to the Semitic languages, being Indo-
European, and I'm not sure to what extent that is or is not a problem for me.
I considered Turkish but it is probably the weaker contender on the list for me. I
already plan to learn multiple other languages that have varying debatable degrees of
relation to Turkish, so I don't really want to learn another language from the same
family. Additionally it uses the Latin script which is less interesting to me in terms
of learning something new.
Also since I feel someone is likely to suggest it as a Semitic alternative, I have
already looked at Ge'ez and it's not really what I'm looking for.
I think I'd be happy learning any of these languages to some extent, but I'm really
looking to find one I can definitely put on my list, and reserve the others for if I
have time once I get through my current list of languages. Basically I'm just hoping
someone can tell me some things I may not be aware of that may make this an easier
choice, or provide me with an alternative (although that may just make it a harder
choice).

Thanks for your help!
2 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 11
05 February 2015 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Persian is a great gateway language. You get a new script that is used by loads of
languages, vocabulary that will help you with practically every language in the middle of
Eurasia (Turkish, Hindi/Urdu, Arabic, the central Asian languages), and the richness of a
2500 year old civilization that has had a huge influence on the middle of Eurasia. And
yet due to its Indo-European origins, it is not an extreme challenge on the scale of
Mandarin or Arabic. Oh, and it is spoken from the Persian Gulf all the way to the border
of China.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 11
05 February 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
It sounds to me like you want to learn Arabic. You should learn Arabic. As far as I understand, once you have MSA down, learning the dialects is a much smaller task, and many dialects are mutually intelligible even if they differ, so it's not really the case that one dialect limits you to the areas where that dialect is spoken. As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm mistaken), Egyptian tends to be understood pretty much throughout the Arab world, though you might have to work on passive understanding of other dialects to be able to have a conversation. But then we're down to "passive understanding of a closely related language" and that sounds pretty manageable to me. The big hurdle with Arabic is the first step, learning MSA, and that step is just as big for Hebrew (though of course a lot smaller for Persian).

So go ahead with Arabic. You know you want to.

Edited by Ari on 05 February 2015 at 8:20pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4848 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 11
06 February 2015 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
If you're already multilingual:

If you want to learn Arabic most, learn Arabic first. Motivation is the most important thing.

But if your goal is to reach an advanced level in all those languages, I think it would be more efficient to start
with Persian (as an Indo-European language, it'll be less of a challenge and you'll learn some relevant vocabulary
and culture, plus the writing system) or Hebrew (more accessible than Arabic because it's easier to pronounce
and less difference between the written and spoken form, plus the alphabet is more straightforward, so more
time is saved by going Hebrew to Arabic than the other way around).

If you're monolingual:

I would strongly recommend going for Persian before Arabic. I'm not saying you couldn't learn Arabic as a second
language if you set your mind to it, but it would not be easy. You might need hundreds of hours before seeing
any significant amount of comprehension. It's better to get to know yourself as a language learner while dealing
with something more manageable like Persian, and then your methods and confidence will both be stronger
when it's time to learn Arabic. I learned how to learn languages while at first sticking to European languages only.
Jump in the deep end of the pool, but not straight into the ocean!

Edited by robarb on 06 February 2015 at 5:23am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 5 of 11
07 February 2015 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
I may pose the opposite perspective as others, just something to consider, depending on
what works best for you as a learner.

Arabic is a lifelong endeavor if you want to have a REAL FULL knowledge of it. I started
when I was 15/16 and I'm almost 29 now, have spent time in Arab countries, and still feel
like I will never know everything! (Especially slang, comedy, plays on words, jokes -- I
still struggle there). :-)

Learning Persian AFTER Arabic, though, was a snap. You already have about 40% of the vocab
(though beware of false friends -- the Arabic word for mule means armpit in Farsi).

So, if you want to tackle the one with the more massive vocabulary first, you will find
Persian very easy to tack on after the fact.

Just something to consider.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 11
07 February 2015 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
I think you should go for the one you like best.

Just learn Arabic. Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder anyways

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
07 February 2015 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. Persian may be easier than Arabic, but it's not that easy. If you want to learn how to learn languages, consider Esperanto.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 11
07 February 2015 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Besides that the discount you get by learning Persian instead of Arabic isn't very big
anyway, so I'd just learn Arabic if that's what you want.

And I'd focus waaaaaay more on dialect since that's what you'll be speaking

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version