Groupie
United States
Joined 5959 days ago

46 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 5
06 February 2015 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Starting a journal to catalog by 6 month journey to rediscovering Spanish. About 8
years ago, I did a year long study aboard in Cadiz and was probably at B2-C1 level
Spanish. I got really focused on Russian, then ended up taking a long break from
language learning while I was deployed.

I have a new sense of focus and I am ready to learn. My goal is 30min-1hour per day
for 6 months. Things I remember/current skills:

1. Pronunciation and flow is still easy. I can read a book aloud and if someone is
speaking at a moderate pace I can keep up no problem.
2. I remember about 85% of grammar. I need to retouch on some of the more advanced
parts of speech.
3. Vocabulary - down the drain. This is where I need to improve most.

I have a mountain of books and language resources. I am going to go through them and
pick out a few I want to work through. I am also going to focus on watching several
telenovelas; I had a lot of success learning Spanish that way.

I am starting off with watching some of Destinos to get up to speed. I am picking it
back up really fast. I may have to skip ahead.

Next post: goals.
1 person has voted this message useful

CellarDoor
Groupie
United States
Joined 5959 days ago

46 posts - 47 votes

Message 2 of 5
06 February 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Some of the materials I am going to be using:

Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish - Joseph Keenan
Assimil - Spanish with Ease
Easy Spanish Step-By-Step - Barbara Bregstein
FSI Spanish Programmatic - Volume II
Practice Makes Perfect:

Basic Spanish
Advanced Spanish Grammar
Complete Spanish Grammar
Spanish Sentence Builder
Spanish Verb Tenses
Spanish Irregular Verbs
Spanish Vocabulary

I am also going to start looking for some new telenovelas. I tried watching "Isabella"
but it was too fast for me to keep up.

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3672 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 5
06 February 2015 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress! I've got the Practice Makes Perfect:
Irregular Verbs and I find the approach really interesting.

CellarDoor
Groupie
United States
Joined 5959 days ago

46 posts - 47 votes

Message 4 of 5
14 February 2015 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
This past week I have started going over the Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish
Grammar. I won't have access to a printer until next week but I have just been doing some
of the exercises by hand.

I downloaded memrise for my android, which is really helping with my vocabulary.

I picked up a copy of the first Harry Potter book. Unfortunately, I can't read it. I am
having trouble with some of the grammar and I am seriously lacking in vocabulary. I
decided that a good goal for me is to be able to read the Harry Potter series over the
next 6 months.

Should I keep powering through the books and looking up all the words I don't know?

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3544 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 5
14 February 2015 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Good luck man! I'll be following your log, as I too am about to start Spanish after having done a few months of it a
little while back. Have you considered joining the Spanish TAC team (if you haven't done so already)?
Also, consider the FSI Spanish Basic course; it's widely regarded on the forum as being one of the greatest, if not
the greatest, FSI course ever made, or perhaps even the greatest course ever made full stop. Hasta luego :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version