Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 10
07 February 2015 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Iguanamon - I would highly recommend choosing a program for beginners that includes a lot of audio.
French in Action is very good, even if the only thing that you use are the videos. You'll definitely get *a lot* more out
of FiA than you will out of native TV at this point.

French in Action

re: tutoring

When your tutor moves on (which is always sad - it's too bad to lose a teacher when you have such good rapport),
you could always check out italki for Skype tutors. 100% of my language tutoring has been over Skype - it's efficient,
effective, and very convenient.

When I'm an absolute beginner working with a tutor, I like to use question cards - simple conversational questions
written on cards that we shuffle and then ask. This lets me practice the same thing over...and over...and over again
(yep, it can be boring for the other person. But that's why you're paying her, and not expecting a language partner
to do it for free). It's also good for listening comprehension, since I'll ask the tutor the same questions.

Here are some printable conversation cards (in English, French, Spanish and Tagalog):

conversation for beginners

Here are some other tips for working with a tutor as an absolute beginner (although these are more focused towards
people using italki for online tutoring, since some of the tips involve working with multiple tutors, and doing shorter
half-hour sessions):

tutoring for beginners

Bonne chance!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ant1234
United Kingdom
Joined 3370 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 10 of 10
09 February 2015 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks. Will check that out. The conversation cards look good. I've been searching for something like that.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version