chloem14
United Kingdom
Joined 5479 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Latin

Message 1 of 10
07 February 2015 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Having a bit of a crisis of confidence, or perhaps just enthusiasm - I'd appreciate
any encouragement or advice that anyone has to offer!

I've been learning French since 11, slowly in school for the first 6 years, then on
and off self-studying for the last 5 with some long gaps. Now 21, I'm also a medical
student, and have self-taught Latin, German and Japanese to varying degrees, so I'm
reasonably well versed in autodidactic approaches to languages whilst being pretty
busy. French being my longest-standing and most advanced language, I'm bumping into a
new problem - the seemingly never-ending array of vocabulary in front of me! To give
you an idea of my level, I don't know numbers or CEFR but I ran a few experiments over
some different texts recently and found, being pretty strict defining "known":

- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - >99% known words, missing a word every two
pages and many of these I could guess.
- Ubik by Philip K Dick - 99%, word or two a page
- Rien ne s'oppose a la nuit, Daphne de Vigan - 98%
- La femme rompue, Simone de Beauvoir - 97%, largely descriptive vocab missing that
didn't interfere with understanding.

I don't know what this translates to numbers-wise, but I have no idea how to approach
the amount of vocab I need to bring up that last few %. French is probably the only
language I'd like to learn to C2 passively, and there's no urgency. In terms of
method, I worry with extensive reading that these words are too rare for me to be
seeing often enough to "pick up". Anki I find beyond boring and can only bear for
brute forcing where it's really necessary, and wordlists I enjoy, but worry that my
retention rate is too low and reviewing too unstructured. I also have no idea *how
much* I'm going to need to add - 10,000 words, 20,000?!?
The other area that this is having an impact is listening - those comprehension rates
do not apply *at all* to my understanding of spoken French. I seem to be fine in
person; I tutored French children for their CNED programmes, attend regular talks and
lectures in french at about 95%, and I'm okay with most podcasts for the general sense
with some missed phrases. TV and movies however are a mess, and seem to be mostly
because of this vocab issue - where I know the words, I understand regardless of
accent or speed, but often I just don't. I watched a dubbed episode of the West Wing
and got about 65% - an episode of Engrenages and I'm lucky to get 40%. I'm not sure
why there's such a disparity, as I have had a reasonable amount of exposure to aural
sources over the years. Given that sutitles and transcripts are so poor in the
francosphere, I'm not really sure where to mine this colloquial spoken vocab.

Apologies for length, I'm just feeling very daunted by the scale of the task - and
none of my real life friends/family seem to appreciate the gravity of the dilemma! :P

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 10
07 February 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
This happens to everyone. The trick is to get into a flow and do more of it.

As for where to mine colloquial vocabulary - go out with French people a lot and that
type of problem will solve itself soon enough :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4454 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 10
07 February 2015 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
The way people talk on well-structured radio shows or while lecturing is pretty different than the way they talk in ordinary life, in French as in any other language. To bridge the gap you can try favoring radio shows with larger casts (which tend to be more casual and spontaneous) and also checking out French YouTubers. Most of the vocabulary you hear on TV shows and movies will come up at some point on YouTube channels, which tend toward younger and slangier speakers with a much less formal style than most media.

I am kind of the opposite of you in that I get most films and TV shows fine, probably because a large part of my French learning has happened through YouTube, but the less common and more "literary" vocabulary used in a lot of novels really does me in sometimes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 10
07 February 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I know of no other method for improving one's listening comprehension than doing lots of listening. I recommend you avoid native French TV series and movies. Watch dubbed ones, and clear-spoken radio shows and podcasts. I find it easier when I can get the contextual clues from the screen, so I prefer movies and TV series in the beginning. French is notoriously difficult to parse, but suddenly it just clicks. You'll have to put in the hours, is all.

As for written vocabulary, well, read a lot of books. You can speed up the process with SRSing, but if you don't enjoy that, just spend the time reading, instead. One trick is to reread books or read several books by the same author, in order to increase your exposure to that author's favorite low-frequency words.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4848 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 10
07 February 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
If you're 21 and already a medical student with advanced knowledge of French and some Latin, German, and
Japanese, then I'm 100% positive your verbal intelligence and memory are good enough to learn lots of
words from more extensive reading. Of course, you won't retain most of the new words you encounter. But if you
read a book at 99% coverage, you'll encounter hundreds of unknown words. Even if you only retain a few percent
of them, your vocabulary will grow at a nice rate. Plus, 99% coverage is enough to understand and appreciate a
book. So even if it takes many years, all that reading will just be reading, not laborious study.

As for listening, that is a more interesting problem. I doubt it is purely a vocabulary problem. Why would your
comprehension drop so sharply if the only problem were vocabulary? Unless you managed to avoid learning even
the most basic colloquial French words, your book vocabulary should cover most of what people say in TV shows.
After all, some of those books have plenty of dialogue, and you've heard plenty of spoken French. I suspect
you're losing something on the uptake, as Ari says, French is notoriously difficult to parse. You need to listen a
ton more. If you have subtitles/transcripts, that will help a lot with the type of TV shows that you currently get
<50%. Without subtitles, concentrate your listening on something moderately informal, but which you can
understand somewhere in the 75-95% range, since you'll need to get the gist to learn from context. Once you can
understand dubbed shows, talk shows, and dialogue from films where the characters speak in mostly
standard/formal French at 90% or better, you'll probably find that the native colloquial shows that are currently
too hard will be more manageable, and you'll start to hit that threshold where you can figure out what's going on
and can figure out new words/phrases from context.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 6 of 10
08 February 2015 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
@chloem14, I think that nobody has 100% known words in a non-trivial book even in his own native language.
Also you don't need to know everything, really. I'm not saying you should not try to improve your vocabulary, at the
opposite - I'm saying that you should not worry about it. Just continue learning something new everyday.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 7 of 10
08 February 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
According to Nation (2006) you need a vocabulary of about 8500 for 98% comprehension of English texts (less for TV/movies) and 13500 for 99% comprehension. I posted this late last year on my blog:

Quote:
To get from 98% to 99% you need to learn about 6000 words. However if you consider that at 98% there will be five unknown words per page, and I am quite comfortably reading 50 pages per day, I'm being exposed to potentially 250 unknown words per day. If I only learn 10 out of these 250 words per day, I will have learnt 6000 new words in less than two years.

Also I am not sure I totally buy this "infrequency" argument, which I have heard a lot.

Say there are about 35000 words to learn (this is sort of the upper figure for English - German might actually be less).

I know about 7500 now, so I still have to learn 27,500 words.

If I am reading 50 pages/day, I am seeing potentially 250 unknown words/day.

If none of these words repeat (which seems very unlikely) then in 110 days I'll have been exposed to all the unknown words at least once. Given you need 6-15 exposures to learn a word, you should be able to learn all of these simply from exposure within 2-5 years!

What is much more likely of course is that some words will be seen a lot more often in 110 days and those are much more likely to be learnt first, but in any case I don't think it's impossible to learn these rarer words so long as you keep up a steady reading habit.

Edited by patrickwilken on 10 February 2015 at 12:11am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 10
09 February 2015 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I used to be approximately where you are now in some ways (- the Japanese etc.) and
what helped immensely were tv series. I started from dubbed ones (for exemple Eureka
was great, or Grimm, Lost Girl and so on. All of them contain the usual, colloquial
speach. And Eureka taught me lots of science vocabulary, yay!) and progressed first to
native ones, like Profilage,to the difficult native ones, like Engrenages. The key was
to persist and just devour large amounts. The vocabulary improved, and not only the
passive one. Really, the largest jump in my overall French skills, including speaking,
happened while I was watching tv series.

I am taking DALF C2 on Friday and while I'm freaking out, I am not worried about my
passive vocabulary at all. Extensive reading and listening took care of that and most
unknown words (which are usually pretty rare) are clear from context or from Latin or
other languages. There is no reason why you shouldn't get such passive vocabulary as
well.

About books. You might profit from switching to original francophone authors and
leaving your comfort zone, especially when it comes to genres. You are very likely to
find medical literature easy, thanks to your Latin knowledge and most of the
terminology being more or less the same, some French medical websites are awesome
study resources (I used the presentations with audio on wikinu.fr to study physiology
and anatomy while ironing or washing the dishes, there are a few more and even better
sites for most medical topics and subjects which I would however need to dig out of my
memory (or computer history)). Original French fantasy/scifi or other books aimed at
younger readers may be a good step forward, I can recommend for exemple Maxime Chattam
and his series Autre Monde, those books are a bit Steven King style and awesome. There
are many thrillers ad policiers to choose from, Fred Vargas is just one of many great
authors, I liked as well Jean Christophe Grangé. Their books were very enriching for
me. And there are the classics, like you read S. Beauvoir, I read A. Dumas and there
are many others. Some translated authors are fine as well, I found the translation of
CH. Harris (The True Blood books) to be full of everyday vocabulary and useful
expressions you hear both in tv series and in real life, it may be a good thing as you
are looking for colloquial language sources. The key to extensive reading is the
amount and variety.

Your question about the amount of vocabulary. This is a very common subject of heated
discussions on htlal. I am more and more leaning toward the notion that the number is
irrelevant. The more, the better. If you see a word at least a few times, it may be
worth learning. If it is relevant to your usual topics, learn it. And so on.

Other methods of learning vocab. Well, anki works but you don't like it, ok. Word
lists are fine but I usually have trouble keeping to them. What often helps me with
troublesome words is memorising an exemple, preferably a funny one. The best is a
moment in a book or tv series where the word is used and which made you laugh. Or make
your own funny exemple.

Edited by Cavesa on 09 February 2015 at 11:23pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version