Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 13
08 February 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
[...] a couple of exceptions from science and medicine:

coelacanth: siːləkænθ - My favorite prehistoric/living fossil fish, love those lobed fins! Come on coelacanth, evolve! Walk upon the land!
[...]
Watch out for scientific/medical words imported from Latin. Though your average English learner in Spain is highly unlikely to ever run into "coelacanths" unless they are deep sea fishing in the southern Indian Ocean off of Madagascar, or perhaps scrabble/crossword players.

Good ol' Latimerias! Oh my! You could fill a book with all the Greek/Latin/scientific stuff that I hadn't bothered to cross-check in English just yet... which immediately set me in 'oops!' mode :)

Of course, I just checked and learned the right spelling for another word you just made me think of is "coelenterate" (jellyfish, coral, and relatives), and I'm pretty sure any 'coe-' word sneaking in through the Greek/Latin door must cause similar problems with the patterns I proposed.

I don't know, but what about coelurosaurus/sauria? /k/ or /s/? (I'm guessing /s/)
Or anything coming from "coeruleus" (blue)? Is "cerulean" the only proper English derivative? (honest, I don't even know how to check and that's all I can think of)

Speaking of which (not really, I have just strange ways of associating stuff), what is the right pronunciation for "caesura" (the mid-line pauses in poetry)?

I hope all these and other related words can still be lumped in a relatively compact exception list, because I really want to both keep the set of patterns minimal and include these -- after all, I'm not exactly your average English learner -- thanks for giving me this little 'headache' ;)

Quote:
English is such a hodge-podge, mulligan stew/gumbo of a language that we always have loads of exceptions to prove almost any rule. [...] Thank you Spanish, Portuguese, and Haitian Creole.

And don't forget German -- amen! :D
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 10 of 13
08 February 2015 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
[...] guess this makes "louse" another lousy exception.

I also want to pronounce the z in azure as a voiced /z/ but the OED tells me I'm wrong and you're right!

OK, thanks :)

robarb wrote:
mrwarper wrote:

-Single "s" becomes voiced /z/ [...]
-"s" shifts from /s/ to /ʃ/ when followed by -ion[...]

This part has some unpredictability, as in "fission" /ʒ/ and "mission" /ʃ/ for no obvious reason (NB: "fission" with /ʃ/ is also observed). And according to your rules as stated, "session" should have /ʒ/ instead of correctly /ʃ/[...]

I may be flat-out wrong about this (tarvos said the same while I was writing), but I have never, ever heard fission with /ʒ/, always /ʃ/. Maybe you were thinking of fusion?
Anyway, assuming we are right, maybe the problem is the order of precedence of the patterns I chose in my list, because I see a clear one here: voiced sound+"sion" → /ʒ/, and /ʃ/ when preceded by unvoiced sounds, "-ssion" being a particular case of the latter. Or maybe are there more exceptions?

Once that is clear/checked or debunked, on how clearly it can be inferred without altering the previous "rules", or their order, or how they should be completely rearranged, I'm all ears! There's a little book I used to tell my students about: "The Patterns of English Spelling", in ten light volumes, which I'm pretty sure is 100% right because it basically lists everything. Now this is something I won't go through, so I'd rather be right 95% of the time by using a pattern scheme that fits in a regular sheet of paper. Of course, English being the hodgepodge of overlapping patterns it is, I couldn't expect to get it perfectly right on the first try :)

Edited by mrwarper on 08 February 2015 at 5:34am

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 13
08 February 2015 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
No, I'm not mixed up. Some people say fission with /ʒ/. And, as I said, other people say fission with /ʃ/.

There's clearly a bit of unpredictability, but "voiced sound+"sion" → /ʒ/, and /ʃ/ when preceded by unvoiced
sounds" is pretty good as a rule. If you follow that rule, you mostly end up with correct forms. But there certainly
are
areas where the native speakers use alternatives that don't fit the rule.

Another exception: "nasion" has /z/. That word is special because the -sion at the end is not the usual -sion
morpheme.

"scissors" is another word on the short list of exceptions to the ss rule.

It sounds plausible that fission with /ʒ/ is from analogy with fusion; anyway, regardless of the origin, it exists.

Anyway, these are all corner cases. The rules are good. I wish only to point out that rules (plus a few exceptions)
can define a way of pronouncing English that is acceptable, but cannot describe how English is pronounced by
native speaker communities in general, because variation is a real thing.

Edited by robarb on 08 February 2015 at 6:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 12 of 13
08 February 2015 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
[...]these are all corner cases. The rules are good. I wish only to point out that rules (plus a few exceptions) can define a way of pronouncing English that is acceptable, but cannot describe how English is pronounced by native speaker communities in general, because variation is a real thing.

You bet it is! :)
Although I don't follow the principle that natives are always right, considering only pronunciations listed in dictionaries provides variation enough to drive anyone crazy, which is why I ditched the word "rule" and went with "patterns" from the beginning.

Quote:
Another exception: "nasion" has /z/. That word is special because the -sion at the end is not the usual -sion morpheme.

"scissors" is another word on the short list of exceptions to the ss rule.

And one "corner case" which I'd dare say is present in every learner's vocabulary, so not negligible at all.

Since iguanamon's post expanding on Ari's "caesar" I'm afraid we'll keep getting all sorts of exceptions from medicine (I'm guessing 'nasion' is an almost exclusively medical term like it is Spanish), although I hope many will be expanded into additional patterns.

As I said, I'm torn about this. On one hand, there's already a ten-volume book dealing with the whole question, on the other I concur that although 'minor' patterns will affect every learner sooner or later and so I want them listed, most one-off exceptions can be safely ignored by most learners... unless it's hard to find somebody who doesn't know the word ;(

BTW, finally found "caesura" in Wikipedia -- apparently it is /siːˈʒjʊərə/ or /sɪˈʒʊrə/, so pretty closely related to scissors, caesareans, excisions, etc... just different intermediate stages from Latin.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure anyone with the time and will to do a deep search through a dictionary will find most 'one-off' exceptions to any pattern are really two- or three-off mini-patterns just waiting to be spotted... but hey, isn't that part of the fun?

Edited by mrwarper on 08 February 2015 at 1:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 13 of 13
10 February 2015 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I've heard fission with an sh, and that other symbol I don't know how to make my keyboard make. :) Both seem to be correct.

Is sugar one of your exceptions? I've never figured out why it's pronounced with the 'sh' sound, but there you go.

I don't know this is an American English thing, but "Celt". I say with a K sound as do many people. But if you're talking about basketball team, it's the "selts". Some people use the S pronunciation for anything Celtic. Ironic that a word so close to the heart of English gets dithered over in its pronunciation!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version