Kai
United States
Joined 3752 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Icelandic, Greek, Indonesian, Hawaiian, Welsh, French

Message 1 of 5
08 February 2015 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
I have trouble remembering how to pronounce a word even in my native language (English)
and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe has some tips? I'm always
pronouncing words in English wrong and obviously I have to listen to how they're
pronounced a lot when learning other languages (unless they're phonetic) or I forget.

As an example, a couple of days ago I said 'debacle' and my brother corrected the
pronunciation (after I spelled it to him, I messed it up so much he had no idea what I
said). I quickly forgot how to pronounce it though and had to listen to it several
times before I could remember it. We'll see if it sticks this time. I think for me it
helps if I break it down in my head e.g. duh-bah-cull.

Weird thing is, I have excellent memory on spelling. Even when I was like 6 years old I
always aced spelling tests. So I'm not sure why I can't remember how to pronounce
words. Long A's and short A's especially mess me up - my family joke that even though I
have a 50/50 chance of picking the correct one I always pick the wrong one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chiara-sai
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3497 days ago

54 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
08 February 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I have the same problem with English As, although it’s not my native language. However I did have a similar
problem in Italian in the past, in that I was getting the stress wrong on a lot of words. They were usually words
that I only encountered in the written language. Do you read a lot or tend to use a lot of literary words when
you speak?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 5
08 February 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I think your visual memory is exactly the reason. Many need to pronounce the word to themselves in order to remember it.

And well, you'd have a 50/50 chance if you were just choosing randomly. But when you're trying to guess it, the probability drops ;)

It might help to look up the rules online? It's not 100% regular but not as random as native speakers might think. And since you're a keen language learner, IPA should be a worthwhile investment.

Also, with debacle, were you relying on words like debate? Similar words often fail to provide the correct patterns. And the pronunciation of vowels is generally tied with what follows them.

Edited by Serpent on 08 February 2015 at 2:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 4 of 5
08 February 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
English spelling is so off kilter it's no wonder being a good speller doesn't help with words like debacle. Do you find you have this difficulty with more phonetically spelled languages?

I think if you make it a point to use the word in conversation you will probably find it sticking in your head better. Or just avoid it :). I prounounced "concomitant" wrong for so long it just bugs me to say it correctly. I make it a point to never say it.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
09 February 2015 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Remembering Chinese phrases is as difficult as you can get. You read a newspaper and come across an
unfamiliar character. The dictionary will give you the phonetics. Although the number of sounds and tones
(similar to French & Spanish accents) are limited, but newspapers are not written in phonetics so the next time
you come across the same character, you are on your own.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version