Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 1 of 40
14 February 2015 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Since I'm a total newbie to the forum, maybe I should include a little background to create
context for my Irish study. I've studied languages in a variety of school contexts: (USA)
grade school through high school study, a summer immersion program, and standard US college
courses. I reached the equivalent of about 2 years university study in French, Latin, and
Japanese... and forgot them all because that was so very long ago (I'm now in my mid-50's).

In the past several years, I've tried to re-learn Japanese, and to learn Russian, both
outside of a classroom environment, but unfortunately both times I lost momentum within a
few months. Looking back there may have been too steep a learning curve with unfamiliar
writing systems, and no structured classroom to prod me through. (My Japanese study program
had been conversation focused, to the point of functional illiteratacy).

I've been successful with recreational self-study of mathematics, computer languages, and
learning to play a few musical instruments, so I know I *can* learn things on my own. But I
may need more structure and accountability to maintain steady progress, which is why I was
so happy to find this subforum.

I have family and cultural connections to Ireland, but I was frightened of learning the
language because the writing behaved by no phonetic rules I could figure out. My Irish
study began because Duolingo Irish just come out of beta, I got intrigued, and it was fun
and addictive... but it lacked enough grammar to keep me happy, as I had studied
linguistics and loved syntax. So on a late-night whim I bought a couple of book/CD sets
suggested by Amazon, and got a step more serious about the whole thing.

Not that I'm being an intellectual heavyweight here. I'm continuing to enjoy Duolingo
Irish, but also working from Teach Yourself: Complete Irish by Diarmuid Ó Sé, and Living
Language Spoken World: Irish. For now I'm learning standard Caighdeán Irish, which is fine
with me because I'm still just getting acquainted with the general layout of the language.
Recognizing the similarities/differences between similar languages or dialects has always
helped me remember both, so transitioning to a more authentic dialect shouldn't be too
scary.

I have Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish, but it's too heavy going for someone as out of practice
with language study as I currently am. As soon the budget recovers, I plan to get a copy of
Colloquial Irish as an introduction to the Cois Fhairrge dialect, to ease the transition
into working from Learning Irish as well.

But for now I'm solidifying the dialogue from Chapter One of Ó Sé, and getting acquainted
with the audio from Lesson One of Spoken World. My intuition is to begin by learning to
speak (and of course understand) the Irish sentences provided for me, then move on to the
chapter's (loose change) vocabulary, stuff that doesn't get used in recorded
sentences. Those ones can be substitute in once I'm comfortable with the basic sentence
format. My experience has been that vocabulary words learned in isolation don't stick as
well long term. I need to practice by using them.

Oh, I'm also doing listening practice from both books' pronunciation sections, listening
and re-listening to the words demonstrating broad and slender consonants. I'm only hear the
distinction about half of the time, and when I try to say them they come out amusingly
awry. But do feel like I'm making progress.

Edited by tangleweeds on 01 April 2015 at 5:27am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 2 of 40
16 February 2015 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
One of the thing I want to keep track of is the amount of time I spend doing peripheral
software preparation to actual study, such as chopping up audio files in Audacity, and
entering new cards into Anki. It necessarily takes time to get up to speed with the tools
for a new task, but experience has taught me to stay aware of how large a time and energy
leak this puttering around with software can become.

I'm really liking the latest incarnation of Anki, though. Both the user interface and
documentation have been refined to make it much more transparent to use. But however
improved, it's still different from the last time I used it, and I've been spending
time referring to the documentation and learning the new procedures.

Audacity is less familiar to me, but I've used similar software (but much more candy
coated) on my Mac for speed shifting and transcribing music. Now I'm on a
Linux/Ubuntu/Unity laptop, and Audacity is the tool at hand. It certainly has the capacity
to do everything I need it to, but again I've been spending a lot of time between the
documentation and testing out new (to me) features.

I have found a method that seems effective for simultaneously studying, segmenting, and
transcribing my audio file chunks. I'm going to describe what I'm doing, both so I remember
it myself, and so maybe someday another newbie/re-beginner might find it useful too.

I stretch out the file display in Audacity (this skill accounted for one dive into the
documentation) so that I can pretty much see the individual words in the wave form. This
makes it easy to select a sentence or phrase, via the time scale and the start/end fields.
First I set my chosen segment looping (shift + spacebar => another trip into the
documentation), then I alternate listening and talking along with it. Next I practice
reading it in the book as I listen and speak it, and pretend that that crazy Irish spelling
makes total sense in my mind, and I completely understand what it's saying. Usually I can
just about convince myself this is true, and after that it's pretty easy to transcribe the
phrase. I type the phrase into the audio segment's label, which becomes its filename when
the original file's segments are all exported into individual files, for Anki and other
purposes.

This actually works pretty well to drive the sentence or phrase pretty deep into my head,
so I feel less like I'm wasting time than when I'm just mindlessly chugging along chopping
files into pieces. The downsides are that there's no way I can do this when my
roommate is home (it's a very small house)... and if I let the phrase loop a bit too long,
I myself want to bolt out of the room clutching my head and screaming.
1 person has voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 3 of 40
18 February 2015 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Tonight's accomplishment was finding a television program I truly enjoyed in the archives
of TG4, the Irish language TV channel. It's called "Muintir na Mara" which seems to roughly
translates as People/Community of the Sea, though I'm not sure quite how "na" is
funcitoning in that context.

There's a guy with a little rowing boat (currach?) on top of his minivan, and he drives,
rows, and bikes around and talks to people about interesting stuff, especially as relates
to the sea. From what I can tell he's headed west and north up the shore of Connacht from
Galway, and it's a landscape that I love.

The reason this is such a massive accomplishment that TV rarely holds my interest. I
honestly think I suffer from some kind of audiovisual dyslexia, because film/TV/video media
are exhausting for me to watch, and I rarely come out much wiser than I went in. But I
enjoyed this show, enough to two whole episodes (maybe about 50 minutes total).

Yesterday and the day before I was studying a lot of grammar, skimming ahead into the next
couple of chapters, pursuing further insight the behavior of "agam" and "duit". I found
enough to content me for the moment, plus several sets of pronouns to explore. I've been
continuing to enjoy doing my Anki cards too, but it's time to get to work on constructing
more.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4389 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 4 of 40
18 February 2015 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Hi tangleweeds, Muintir na Mara is indeed a great program, a genuine look at the
lives of the people on the west coast.

The "na" in the title is the definite article in the genitive case for feminine
nouns.
The nominative case of the word sea is "muir". Proceeded by the definite
article it's "an mhuir". See that h? That indicates that it's a feminine noun!

Common feminine nouns:
an bhean - the woman
an bhó   - the cow
an mhéar - the finger
an ghruaig- the hair

The genitive case marks possession, like English "of" or 's. Think of the title of the
program as "The People of the Sea". In this case, an changes to na and muir changes to
mara (quite irregular).

The above nouns would undergo the following changes in the genitive:
ainm na mná - the woman's name (again, one of a handful of irregular changes)
bainne na bó - the cow's milk
ionga na méire- the nail of the finger
dath na gruaige- the colour of the hair.

Tá súil agam go gcuideoidh an méid sin leat!

3 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 5 of 40
21 February 2015 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith agat, liammcg! That was very helpful.

Today's accomplishment was setting up time logging software on my phone, so this log can
have weekly time totals. So far my categories are (suggestions welcome!)

• Fluff Around: Reading forums, making more coffee, playing with the cat. Time
    that I meant to be studying where I ended up doing something else instead.

• Posts, Plans, and Logs: When I'm actually using my brain to formulate cogent
    questions, thoughts, plans, logs, checklists for personal use or public discussion.
    Thinking about what I'm doing while typing.

• Duolingo: because it's fun

• Anki Card Prep: Notice how I'm listing all the time sinks first? I'm making it
    easy to log them honestly!

• Anki Study: This is where I learn my dialogues and vocabulary

• Grammar: I enjoy studying this

• Speech: Pronunciation, echoing, shadowing

• Irish language media: Podcasts, TV, Radio

• Writing in Irish Unfortunately there's not much I can say yet! Noël is ainm dom.

As I said above, suggestions or amendments welcome.

ETA: I have more free time, so I'll add another thought here, rather than re-bump my thread
with a second post for the day.

I have been rethinking my choice for my next book, and may opt for Gaeilge gan Stró instead
of Colloquial Irish. I'm still waffling about which dialect to focus on, and I've read that
Gaeilge gan Stró opts for a variety, rather than focusing more a single one, like
Colloquial Irish. I've also read that Gaeilge gan Stró is somewhat lighter on grammar, but
there's a grammar book by the same author, which might balance that out for me, as grammar
is my friend.

Feel free to attempt to sway my decision!

Edited by tangleweeds on 21 February 2015 at 5:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 6 of 40
25 February 2015 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Well I've had my first slump, caused by a worsening of a very occasional but recurrent
inner ear problem which had come back more than a week ago. Over the past weekend I had an
ill-considered adventure that made it worse, and ended up with what was possibly a weird
migraine variant, one that centers around the inner ear. Not conducive to concentration.

I wasn't completely useless, as I studied my Anki cards, but didn't do much more for a
couple of days. Feeling somewhat better today, I opened a thread on the Irish Language (&
Learners') Forum
http://irishlearner.awyr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=353 0
because one of the speakers on my Spoken World Irish CDs sounded more like a native English
speaker to me, and the native speakers at that forum seem motivated to support or critique
learning materials based on how whether they hear fellow native speakers in the demo
recordings.

I asked for advice on which alternative book/CDs-format beginner tutorial I should choose
for purely native speaker recordings. I had been wavering between Colloquial Irish and
Gailge gan Stró, since the latter uses speakers from different regions, and it seemed
reasonable to actually hear the different dialects a bit before choosing which to
focus on.

ETA: I also discovered the readlang plugin (free version), and a teachers' / kids' material
website to use it on:
http://www.resources.teachnet.ie/clane/2008/index.html
The naíonáin material is just my speed.

Edited by tangleweeds on 25 February 2015 at 9:41am

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 7 of 40
08 March 2015 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Posts rescued from the lost week:

Well it seems like the forum has continued to limp along, sans front page. I had been
feeling pretty demoralized by its apparent demise, happening in the middle of my first
slump. But on the bright side, this slump was not a standstill, as I did steadily ongoing
(though not daily) Anki study, harvested & studied new vocab via readlang, and read up on a
number of lingering grammatical questions.

Things I need to work on: my fear of lentition and eclipsis, and more thorough study of
pronunciation rules. I think I will need to work on spelling, pronunciation and mutation
rules in a particularly methodical manner, as I'm bad at that kind of thing even in
English. I've always been a natural "whole word" reader, so I need to apply extra/different
attention to even see the details of spelling.

In other news, I decided to order Gaeilge gan Stró (beginner level) on the basis of
positive feedback over on the Irish language and learners' forum (URL for that thread in
post above). I also got the latest edition of the Irish grammar book from Teach Yourself,
for logical reasons 1) I'm already studying from Teach Yourself's Irish book, so one might
hope the two books overlap (and agree) in content, and because 2) it's by the same author
as Gaeilge gan Stró (which I've read is not grammar heavy) and one might hope that two
books by the same guy agree on the relevant content for the beginner to Irish. But all
logical reasons aside, it's been fun reading up on the grammar I've seen in action so
far, and getting a peek at what's to come. I've always loved grammar, syntax, patterns
of usage...

There's more I want to say but I've got to stop for now. I'll probably edit and add to this
post later when I find more time.

jbadg76421 wrote:
Very cool to see someone else learning Irish! I've also played around a
bit with Duolingo and I just started Learning Irish. It's a fun language...I look forward
to following your log!

Thanks jbadg76421! I caught your intro in the Team Celts thread, and was very happy to see
another Irish beginner on board.

I've been continuing to explore the first few chapters of Learning Irish, and it continues
to look intriguing... but very dense, in the old fashioned textbook style that brings back
memories of my prep school Latin textbooks, back in the days when I learned programming via
teletype and punched paper tape.

Old fashioned isn't bad; I want to be working from Learning Irish too in the relatively
near future. But I'm still needing gentler re-introduction to language study. I've found
the Living Language Spoken World Irish course to be very well calibrated to someone like
me, who successfully studied languages in the past, but not recently.

But on the down side, some native speakers on the Irish Language/Learners' Forum did
express concerns about whether the man sounded entirely native. On the up side, the woman
sounded good to everyone who spoke about her.

One problem everyone seemed to agree on though, was that it's hard to sound natural and
normal when speaking so very slowly and clearly. I myself prefer to have faster, more
natural speech in my example recording, but a big factor in that is that I'm comfortable
using software to slow down recordings.

This iffy news fuelled my slump a bit, as I really like this method. It comes with *lots*
of spoken material, 3 CDs for use with the book, and 3 CDs appropriate for use in the car,
exercising, etc. And all the example sentences from the book are on the CDs for use
with the book.

Teach Yourself: Complete Irish has been a decent fit for my situation as well, but perhaps
optimized for someone a bit more in-practice with language study than I am. I also
discovered, via comparing library copies and the one I recently got, this course has been
repackaged by Teach Yourself under several different titles over quite a few years now.

Judging from the sample chapter I downloaded from the publisher's page, Gaeilge gan Stró
looks more like modern textbooks, and I worry I'll find the flashy modern layout
distracting enough to annoy. But maybe better graphics will help me find and remember what
I need more easily, as they're meant to do.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3360 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 8 of 40
19 March 2015 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Influenza!! I had this year's flu shot, but I read later that they predicted the wrong
strains of flu virus for this year's vaccine. I had the classic temperature, body aches,
and nasty cough for a week, then a nice relapse after overestimating my recovery. Meanwhile
my residual vertigo problem created a horrible synergy with the fever and coughing, so
extremely strange things happened to my sense of spatial orientation whenever a coughing
fit made me sit up abruptly during the night. "Ground control to Major Tom..."

Audio editing and transcription of a phonetically confusing language were not within my
mental capabilities while under the influence of influenza, but I am fortunate that I enjoy
doing Anki, so when I had a working voice, I kept up with that to some degree. I am running
out of fresh cards though, so it's time to get back to Audacity.

Gaeilge gan Stró arrived about 12 days after I ordered it from Gaelchultúr via Amazon.com.
It is certainly very colorful and graphically busy in the modern textbook way; a friend who
taught English as a second language in Spanish confirmed its similarity to textbooks he'd
used. The pages are very full, with no empty space for notes.

This might prove interesting for me, as I am a horrible defacer of textbooks. I use several
colors of highlighter, write marginal notes and summaries, and add colorful post-its as
index tabs. I remember better when I can visualize where on the page I read something, so
it helps to make each page as unique and interactive as possible. But in this book they've
already done all of that for me.

I also ordered Buntús Cainte part one from the Book Depository, which arrived about 10 days
after ordering. That looks pretty amusing, actually, and appears to have lots of everyday
vocabulary that I could use to talk to myself in Irish. That has always been the tipping
point for me with learning a new language, when I can leverage the mindless chatterbox in
my head to subvocalize all kinds of trivial observations my TL, like "Look, three blue
cars," "That cat is fat," "It's raining again," or "Where am I?"

I've been augmenting Buntús Cainte with grammar gleaned from Learning Irish. But I haven't
been doing anything to sort out the audio and connect it to the text in any systematic way
that helps me study. That's what I want to do next, I think.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version