NicoleNoel
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Czech

Message 1 of 6
17 February 2015 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
So, as of today, in 3 months, I will be arriving in Prague. My goal is to learn as much as possible in the next 3
months so that I am not seen as a complete tourist haha. Although, I will need to know touristy subjects, such as
directions and transportation related phrases. I want to be able to function even at a basic level in the language
before I arrive.

My plan is to get through both Teach Yourself Czech and FSI Czech in the next 3 months as well as trying to
read/watch as much native material as possible in order to get a better ear for the language.

I spent most of "Day 1" (today) planning out what I want to do and looking through various resources.

If anyone has any recommendations for places to get native materials, such as american movies dubbed in czech,
that would be great.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 6
17 February 2015 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi NicoleNoel, Welcome to the forums,

nice to read about your interest in such a small language. You will stay for a few
days or longer?

Native materials. That depends on whether you are against pirate sources or not (and I
cannot give you links to pirate sources due to the rules on this forum). Most Czechs
use mostly pirated sources as there are nearly no legal alternatives.

Some original production can be used from anywhere in the world, mostly things done by
Česká Televize and Český Rozhlas

This is link to the television archive. There are dubbed things as well but I am not
sure whether they won't be blocked, similarily to such things on the Swedish TV's
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/a-z/
Vyprávěj is good and popular (even though it describes some of the historical
backgrounds too naively), Vraždy v kruhu are good from what I heard etc. But I don't
watch most czech series these days, so my recommendations are pretty limited

This is streaming of the television:
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/

There is quite a lot of private, commercial channels, but I am unsure whether they'll
let you watch the content online (Spanish commercial stations don't, so I don't know).

This is the national radio
http://www.rozhlas.cz/portal/portal/
fortunately, most commercial radio stations are available online, however, most are
not focused on speech (the state paid channels are as they are mostly focused on news,
discussions and such things), or on Czech music.

But here are some exemples of Czech songs you can start your Youtube adventures with:

Marta Kubišová: Depeše, Modlidba pro Martu
Karel Kryl: Král a klaun, Veličenstvo Kat, Bratříčku zavírej vrátka
Znouzecnost: Letecká
Tomáš Klus: Nina
Kabát:Malá Dáma,
Ivan Hlas:Na Kolena, Malagelo
Bratři Ebenové:Já na tom dělám, Čas Holin
Jaromír Nohavica: Kometa, Fotbal, Darmoděj
Xindl X: Anděl, Dysgrafik, Chemie
Daniel Landa: Touha, Valčík
Aneta Langerová:Skvělej nápad
4tet:Ještě tě mám plnou náruč
Ondřej Havelka:Jen pro ten dnešní den
Jaroslav Ježek:Život je jen náhoda, Tmavomodrý svět

heh, I remembered more things than I would have guessed. There are various genres and
styles on the list, hopefully you'll like something

Thinking about the movies and tv series.
Youtube does have some czech movies, most of them old. But there are some good ones.
Some are even subtitled in English. (or Spanish, or Czech or whatever. But you need a
bit of luck. By the way, you are likely to find out we have some good crimis, quite a
lot of great comedies but what everyone loves the movie fairytales. There are better
and worse ones, but most are worth watching and even the adults join the kids to watch
:-)
I could give a list but I don't have that much time now and you might find th

Apart from that, those dubbed tv series. There are plenty. Some are the best dubbings
ever (for exemple the Red Dwarf is just as good as the original, the Simpsons or
Friends are so good I can enjoy them even in dubbing), many are ok (the Stargate, CSI
Miami and whatever, etc), some should be avoided like plague (Doctor Who, the Big Bang
Theory). Your best bet is either to google where to get them pirated or to buy DVDs
with Czech dubbing, perhaps even on Amazon.

Well, I hope some of this helps. Feel free to ask should you have any further
questions.

Edited by Cavesa on 17 February 2015 at 3:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 6
17 February 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I've been recently restarting my Czech (did a few Assimil lessons a year or so back) and I'm working with it slowly, since German is my current focus. It's an absolutely wonderful language and Prague is of course probably the most beautiful city in Europe. The main problem for me has been that it's really hard to make the words stick. The phonology is so different from any other language I know, which means my brain can't keep them. It's like throwing tennis balls on a dartboard; no matter how hard you try it just won't stick! :) You probably have an advantage there since you've been studying Russian, so you're going to be able to learn it much faster than I can.

Anyway, there was a thread recently mentioning a study that said that hearing a language, even if it's not understood, helps to create neural networks in the brain which will aid in making words easier to remember. So listen to loads of Czech even when you don't have time to study, is my advice. I've gotten a Czech podcast that I don't understand squat of and I've been playing it as I go to bed, and sometimes on the bus, etc, to get my brain used to the sounds.

As you work through lessons in your courses, it's probably a good idea to switch the incomprehensible babble for the lessons you've already worked through. I find it helpful to listen again and again to past lessons (I create a "studied" playlist on my phone and listen to it until I can't stand it anymore). It'll probably do just as much good, if note more, for establishing neural networks, and you'll be overlearning your lessons, which is also very good. Keep playing those lessons until you know what they're going to say before they even say it. And then play them some more. :)

Those are my tips. I'm way too early into Czech to be able to give you any specific advice, but I do wish you lots of luck and I hope you'll continue with the language after your trip. It's an underrated language and country and even the little bits I've managed to learn from ten or so Assimil lessons make me happy in a way that only Cantonese has done before!

NicoleNoel
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes

Message 4 of 6
18 February 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

nice to read about your interest in such a small language. You will stay for a few
days or longer?

I will be in Prague for 8 days. my trip is 10 days but 2 are for travel

Cavesa wrote:

Native materials. That depends on whether you are against pirate sources or not (and I
cannot give you links to pirate sources due to the rules on this forum). Most Czechs
use mostly pirated sources as there are nearly no legal alternatives.

I don't mind using pirated sources. I've pirated all of my czech resources so far... whoops :P

Cavesa wrote:

Well, I hope some of this helps. Feel free to ask should you have any further
questions.

Thanks for all of the recommendations on things. I noticed on a couple of the TV stations, that some of the shows
there is only a 7 day trial for watching them and some shows are blocked on the live stream as well. I'll start going
through all those links you posted though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

NicoleNoel
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes

Message 5 of 6
18 February 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

The main problem for me has been that it's really hard to make the words stick. The phonology is so different from
any other language I know, which means my brain can't keep them. It's like throwing tennis balls on a dartboard; no
matter how hard you try it just won't stick! :) You probably have an advantage there since you've been studying
Russian, so you're going to be able to learn it much faster than I can.

I definitely have an easier time having been studying Russian off and on for a long time. I notice a lot of cognates
and/or very similar words between the languages. Even words sometimes that people wouldn't think are similar.

Ari wrote:

Anyway, there was a thread recently mentioning a study that said that hearing a language, even if it's not
understood, helps to create neural networks in the brain which will aid in making words easier to remember. So
listen to loads of Czech even when you don't have time to study, is my advice. I've gotten a Czech podcast that I
don't understand squat of and I've been playing it as I go to bed, and sometimes on the bus, etc, to get my brain
used to the sounds.

I agree with this. I've been watching a lot of Russian cooking channel and movies dubbed in Russian even though I
don't really understand anything. The cooking channel especially though, has a lot of words relating to food that are
used frequently so that helps a bit. That's part of the reason why I was asking for native Czech materials. I want to
find things I can do when I don't want to study :)

Also, thanks for the tip about listening to the lessons in a "studied" playlist. I'm probably going to have to edit some
of the files though and take out just the dialogue.

NicoleNoel
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes

Message 6 of 6
18 February 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
So... today:

Czech
I did the first lesson of TY Czech again. I had done it previously a couple weeks ago but decided I wanted to restart
the book. I haven't done any of the FSI lessons yet. I think I'm going to alternate days. And I still haven't decided how
I want to work in the book Czech: An Essential Grammar.

Also, to answer something Ari mentioned: I'm not sure if I'm going to keep with Czech after my trip. My first
language love was Russian and I haven't been able to put as much effort into it as I'd like. So we'll see. Maybe if I
make some friends in Prague while i'm there, that will inspire me to continue with Czech.

Russian
With Russian today, I didn't do anything except for some Anki reviews. I did 1 Assimil lesson last week before
deciding to go hard after Czech for a couple months before I go. I want to at least keep the knowledge that I
gained from that.

**edit:
One more thing, I was thinking today that maybe it wouldn't be too hard to learn both Czech and Russian at the
same time, mostly because they use 2 different alphabets. I think that would help to keep the language separate
even though they are similar. Just a thought. I probably will just focus on one at a time though for now.

Edited by NicoleNoel on 18 February 2015 at 1:53am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version