Russian (beginner)

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4132 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 1 of 10
17 February 2015 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
How to learn Russian language?

I want to start a new journey learning one more language. This time I’d like to
challenge myself with Russian. Here are the resources I expect to be delivered within
a short period of time:

On resources

Assimil, Hugo in 3 months, Oxford take off in Russian, Pimsleur Russian and The New
Penguin Russian Course A Complete Course for Beginners. It doesn’t mean that I will
necessarily use all of them since I have exchanged language resources with someone who
was leaving my country.

I have just taken a look at the Pushkin team (Russian 15’ TAC) and also some logs of
the current members and they seem to have used one of the resources above, among many
others.

Assimil seems to be one of the best resources for beginners (at least it seemed to be
a good material and it comes with an audio). Penguin’s also seem to be pretty popular
with many pros as I have read in Russian TAC’s members logs; however, it has a con
that is the fact that the material doesn’t provide any audio. As for me, even if I
focus on passive skills, it is very important to have this listening input as I have
successfully managed to improve my skills and reach the basic fluency of some
languages because of my listening input, among other factors.

Aside from the materials listed above, would you recommend me any other better
materials? Has anyone here used Russianpod101.com?

On Russian pronunciation

I have just started trying to grasp the phonetics of the Russian letters just to know
which letter correspond to each sound (or sounds if it is applicable), but I cannot
differentiate the letters Ш and Щ. In this case what would you recommend me? Would you
ignore this fact because I am just a beginner (and therefore it would be a waste of
time at the initial steps)?

Oral production will be important at mid and long term because I am willing to visit
Russia and Russian speaking countries. I also have a friend who is Russian and I am
willing to try to send some recordings as part of my future language exchange (we are
going to settle a schedule for language exchange soon).

Actually she recorded many words containing the letters Ш and Щ, and she said that
they are clearly different (clearly only for her ears, haha).

И, Ы and Й sound very similar to me as well.

I also have heard contexts in which Ж sounds like Ш. I mean, Ж sounded voiceless...

Edited by Tomohiro on 18 February 2015 at 1:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4177 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 2 of 10
17 February 2015 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm really enjoying Assimil Russian so far...I think that this course coupled with a good grammar (save it for after you've worked through most of Assimil) will get you off to a good start. For me, the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple, Stupid) of language courses has worked best...too many and I wind up not finishing any of them. You have to find your own rhythm though.

That's great that you have a Russian language partner, I just found one today. Rather by accident actually...I tried to tell him that I've only been learning Russian for about three weeks, but he didn't seem to be deterred, and it was really fun! And definitely a big help for pronunciation...I've also been starting add Russian-dubbed versions of my favorite TV shows to my daily routine.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4428 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 3 of 10
17 February 2015 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I recommend that you to pay a lot of attention to the pronunciation and make a real effort to distinguish between Ш and Щ, И, Ы and Й. It can actually be crucial for understanding and being understood. To give you just one example: бить means "to hit", "to punch" while быть means to be, so e.g. in the past tense the difference in meaning is only expressed by the opposition between И and Ы.

I don't know in which context you have heard that Ж sounds like Ш, but remember that voiced consontants are always pronounced as voiceless at the end of a word, so муж is pronounced as if it was written *муш.

Good look with your Russian studies.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
17 February 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
ш and ж work similarly to s in European Portuguese. it does remain voiced before voiced consonants (муж был), much like the s in Lisboa. the main difficulty is that in Russian this happens to all pairs of consonants.

Same with palatalization. you have n/nh, l/lh, we do this to almost every consonant (though чь, шь and a couple others are just spelling conventions that are not pronounced differently). I think this is basically the difference between ш and щ too.

edit: also, English-based explanations of the pronunciation are generally crap. some Portuguese or maybe Spanish-based ones should help? :)

Edited by Serpent on 17 February 2015 at 7:01pm

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4132 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 5 of 10
18 February 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
@jbadg76421
Yes, a friend of mine wanted me to exchange language and it will be a great help to me
especially in terms of pronunciation.

@Ogrim
Yes, I have heard words with Ж at the end and it sounded like Ш. Good to know that
there is a rule (consonants at the end of a word are voiceless). I am aware that as
any language there might be exception to the rules (not necessarily the one you
explained to me), but it is a relief that there are rules to help my brain adapt to
Russian.

@Serpent
муж был was a good example. I won’t forget about it.

Yes, indeed we have n/nh, l/lh palatalization. So, if I understood what you meant, ш
is (hard) and щ (soft) as in the first one is non-palatalized and the second one is
palatalized.

Yes, any examples in other languages (I know) will help me aside from English. For
instance, I have just seen this on Wikipedia: щ “sheer (sometimes instead pronounced
as in fresh-cheese)”. I don’t think this example helped me at all. ))

Edited by Tomohiro on 18 February 2015 at 1:41pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 10
18 February 2015 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
The English explanations of the pronunciation are terrible. I don't use them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 10
18 February 2015 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
As to the difference between ш and щ definitely ignore the "advice" that the latter is like 'shch'. Pronounce it that way and you'll sound Ukrainian rather than Russian. See vonPeterhof's post.

I've liked using "Oxford Take off in Russian" and "New Penguin Russian Course". The former has dialogues that make up a rather funny running story/soap-opera. Explanations of grammar are better in the latter but it's a bit of a mystery to me how the author could genuinely think that users could gain that much from the course (especially if trying to learn to speak or listen) when there's no audio.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
18 February 2015 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Believe it or not, but a pinyin chart explained Russian phonology better than any confusing shch/sjtj transliteration I'd seen.

ш - sh
щ - x

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version