Poland
Joined 5544 days ago

33 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 4
18 February 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I'm Polish and I still trying to became native in English. I've been thinking recently about some course of English abroud.
My bigges problem in English is active kowlege of lenguage like speaking and writing. I tink that two weeks with intensive course of English for example in Irlead could help me a lot.
How do you think is it a good idea? Do you know any good schools for foreiginers in UK or Irleand?
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 4
19 February 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Depending on your level of English if you are an absolutely beginner you'd have to stay a lot longer to get
good results. Based on what you are writing, your sentences are grammatically correct except that you tend to
misspell a few words like:
abroud -> abord
bigges -> biggest
lenguage -> language
tink -> think
Irlead -> Ireland

My personal experience is that I went through a summer exchange program in Taiwan with a group of mostly
English speakers. The ones who are already at the advanced level had the most to gain. The ones at the lower
levels tended to stick together with at least 1 who are fluent enough in Chinese. Someone who knew
practically no Chinese would rely on the one who did to do all the shopping, taxi rides and ordering at local
restaurants. The last 2 weeks of the summer people without friends and relatives in Taiwan were assigned to
stay with a local family for improving their Chinese. A 3-month program in Taiwan is just too short to learn
enough words & phrases to be able to communicate effectively

In order to improve, you have to make the extra effort to spend less time with people who speak your native
language (Polish) and associate with those who speak your target language (Chinese). When you go out you
definitely has to walk into shops and restaurants yourself to ask if the item is on sale or food items that are
recommended.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5517 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 3 of 4
20 February 2015 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:

misspell a few words like:
abroud -> abord

I think it was supposed to be "abroad".

And "I want to become" not "became".

I don't think a two week language course will do a lot of difference. It's hard to judge from such a small sample, but if you speak the way you write, you should be ok in the speaking department. Two weeks won't get you to a native level. And it won't eradicate the spelling mistakes which you made. Native input on a regular basis, with lots of reading especially!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
20 February 2015 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
Two weeks won't get you to a native level. And it won't eradicate the spelling mistakes which you made. Native input on a regular basis, with lots of reading especially!

And a built in spell checker!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version