forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 24
22 February 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
misskj wrote:

I'll try making the cards like this and see if I can study grammar consistently:

저, 가족, 매일, 가도하다 (을 위해서)
---------------------------------
저는 가족을 위해서 매일 가도하고 있어요.
I pray for my family everyday
for the sake of
N을 위해서

Also remember that Korean grammar is closer to Japanese grammar than it is to English grammar most of the time. For
example, when I recently learned the pattern ~のため I linked it to ~을 위해(서) rather than anything in English. Naver's
Japanese dictionary works well for making these links: http://jpdic.naver.com

Quote:

I read a few articles online and started re-watching Spirited Away in Japanese. No subtitles wwoooo
It's crazy how much I improved from that crazy summer. I just remember using subs2srs and adding
every sentence from the movie and looking up every word. All that work really paid off.. It's a great
reminder and motivation for Korean to know if I did in Japanese I can do it in Korean as well..

This paragraph points out two things I need to do but haven't yet.

One is to use subs2srs. I've heard plenty of reviews about it, but never actually tried it before.

The second is to watch more of the Studio Ghibli films. I watched both My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service late
last year and both were very well done (especially given when they were made).
1 person has voted this message useful

misskj
United States
Joined 4137 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 24
22 February 2015 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Ah Thanks Warp3! Maybe I should add the Japanese grammar point as well.. that would be helpful. I
bought books on Korean grammar in Japanese and I read them every week but I didn't think about
adding the points to anki. That would be a good idea.

Also yes!! Try subs2srs!! It's great =]
And you need to watch more of those films they are Amazzzing~~ Spirited away has so many layers
and meanings to it.

Also @Warp3 (or anyone) Do you know of any program where I can paste in a bunch of Korean text
and look up the korean words and quickly create anki cards to study from? I really want something
like Yomichan for Korean but I don't think it exists. I'm also a Computer Science Major and a
Programmer so... I started working on creating that program myself but I was hoping maybe
something already exists. I'm pretty busy with my programming for classes and when I do have free
time i usually use that time to study rather than working on the program..

I know about Readlang. I emailed Steve about adding support for Korean but the way the Korean
cards are created is just Google translate. I'd like to be able to quickly make a Korean card with the
correct stem of the word, de-conjugated with as little steps as possible. Basically I want Yomichan
for Korean.

I wonder if anyone knows of any resources.. if not I'll just continue working on the program.

Edited by misskj on 22 February 2015 at 9:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 24
22 February 2015 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
misskj wrote:

I started working on creating that program myself but I was hoping maybe something
already exists.

A similar problem with Mandarin made start writing one, too. Although in Mandarin there
isn't much inflection going on, so I don't need to look for a lemmatizer. Please keep us
up to date on the progress with the program, if you'll decide to keep working on it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 12 of 24
22 February 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
My first thoughts for that would be something like LingQ or LWT (Learning with Texts).

misskj
United States
Joined 4137 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes

Message 13 of 24
22 February 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
@Ezy Ryder
hmm I was looking up lemmatizer..
Well Naver has an API http://developer.naver.com/wiki/pages/OpenAPI
All the documentation is Korean though so It would take me a bit to sort through it all and make
sense of it. But basically if I look up a conjugated word in Korean the Naver dictionary results will
usually 90% of the time give me the correct de-conjugated Korean word with the definition. If I could
somehow figure out if they have an open source Naver dictionary API I could use to retrieve the stem
of the Korean word with the English definition that would be perfect.

I also wanted to keep in mind with this program If I learn another language after Korean I'm going to
want a program to do the exact same thing for German for example. So it would be perfect if the
program could be updated to support other languages. But right now I'm just focusing on Korean. I'll
be putting up the program on Github soon. Right now I only have the GUI(Graphical user interface) of
the Anki Add-on.

@Warp3 Yeah I've tried both of those but it doesn't exactly have the de-conjugating feature I want. =
<

I feel so spoiled to have so many cool programs for Japanese!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4583 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 14 of 24
23 February 2015 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Hi misskj! Loved your intro post, I read it all :D You should see how much I write
myself. I started learning Japanese 3 years ago, but it was more like 6 months of
actual Japanese, then burning out and doing nothing but watching anime and drama for
two and a half years, and reading books within my level. It's really inspiring to see
the progress you made when you focused, and your progress in Korean as well.
I wasted a lot of time on the koohii forums reading about tools and methods, too, and
generally watching people's progress in fascination, rather than doing anything
myself. That's changing, though. It's a great forum, by the way.

What kind of dramas and 小説 do you like? I like high school/college ones a lot, too,
but there are so many wonderful genres out there, sometimes it's hard to choose :)

With regards to a program where you can read text and import to Anki, LWT, LingQ, or
Yomichan are what really come to mind, as others have suggested.

Edited by Woodsei on 24 February 2015 at 4:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

misskj
United States
Joined 4137 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes

Message 15 of 24
24 February 2015 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Hey Woodsei!! Wow I just read your log and background of you learning Japanese! I completely
understand what you mean when you said you get bored with textbooks and doing exercises.
Whenever I set a goal for trying to go through and finish a textbook I barely last 2 weeks without
giving it up.

I prefer learning and looking things up from out in the wild.

Yes! I read Romance, sometimes Fantasy, and yeah high school ones. Last 小説 I started reading was
violent and had fun new vocabulary I had never encountered before like 横暴(violence)、人探し
(manhunt), 殺害(murder). I stopped reading that though because it was a bit too difficult for me and I
think I was trying to aim a bit too high..

Also I saw in ur log you document listening and reading stats. Are we supposed to do that for the
TAC? And I wonder if I should set more exact numeric goals for this year...

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4583 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 16 of 24
24 February 2015 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Hey Kelsey!

Nope, you don't need to log stats or anything. Your free to write in any style you want.
I initially didn't post stats either, but thought I might this year just to motivate
myself a bit.

And yeah, studying out there in the wild is what I always default back to. I can never
structure myself with learning materials. It's not a good thing, I know, but since this
is me, I'll just try to embrace my learning style and do my best with it. Thanks for
encouraging me, through your posts, to keep doing what I do best!

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version