Joined 5041 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 17 of 21
20 February 2015 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Don't discount the difficulty of the writing 25,000 words however. The nanowrimo thing where you write a novel is 50,000 words in your native language and people STILL can't manage it! But you're right in comparison to the speaking a 250 word page would be trivial.

You have to do it in a month (November). I know people who've done it.

I'm interested but the amount feels unnecessary as of now. I might do an unofficial challenge covering all my languages (apart from English).

I've won nanowrimo 3 times myself, but it isn't easy to do. In 10 months in another language would be a challenge.

Radioclare wrote:
I have no idea where I would find anyone to talk to at all. Does talking to yourself count? :D

I also don't know what audacity is or how I would record a Skype conversation, so I think rdearman might need to start the challenge thread with some technical instructions!

I don't know what a reasonable target would be for speaking but I don't think there's any harm in setting it at 100 hours and seeing where everyone ends up after 10 months. If the challenge were run again it could then be modified, the same way that I think the Super Challenge reading target has been changed this time around.

Yes talking to yourself counts if you record it! In fact that was my original idea, just talk into a microphone. I'm happy to give links to audacity which is a free audio editing and recording program. It runs on everything. Recording skype or google hangouts can be done, although skype requires a 3rd party plugin. If your recording yourself and you have a smartphone there are a ton of apps which you can record yourself with.

Recording an actual conversation could be done with a phone app and the permission of your conversational partner.

I'm going to go head and start a Output Challenge signup thread. I'll use the rules I posted:
- Runs for 10 months from Mar-Dec.
- 100 pages, 500 words equals 1 page.
- 100 hours of recorded speech (only minutes you are speaking count)
- You can only signup for one language at a time.

We'll just "suck it and see", and I'll modify the rules if we hit any bumps.

1 person has voted this message useful

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3443 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 21
20 February 2015 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I really like the idea of 100 hours of sound recording. Might I suggest Soundcloud for posting
them? Most people probably won't be able to get anyone to review them, but if you have a tutor,
it's really easy to put comments on the precise point where there's a grammar or pronunciation
error. Personally, I found it pretty easy and useful to review audio while trimming it in Audacity (I
did a trim of FSI French Phonology). You might even get a better idea of how much you're getting
to talk in your conversation exchanges!

@Radioclare - Audacity has an imposing number of features, most of which I have no idea what I'd
need them for, but for nearly everything you'd ever want to do there's someone who has posted a
tutorial on how to do it. I'd be happy to help by posting my methods of recording (simple
quicktime audio recording for me) and trimming (via Audacity on a Mac) if this gets off the ground,
and would be interested if someone comes up with something better.

@rdearman & other PowersThatBe - Could we also include things like recording ourselves reading
our own writing, or reading excerpts from literature? Or should it have to be conversation? I could
see myself working on some language islands with this...

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5041 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 19 of 21
21 February 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
s.mann wrote:
I really like the idea of 100 hours of sound recording. Might I suggest Soundcloud for posting them? Most people probably won't be able to get anyone to review them, but if you have a tutor, it's really easy to put comments on the precise point where there's a grammar or pronunciation error. Personally, I found it pretty easy and useful to review audio while trimming it in Audacity (I
did a trim of FSI French Phonology). You might even get a better idea of how much you're getting to talk in your conversation exchanges!

@Radioclare - Audacity has an imposing number of features, most of which I have no idea what I'd need them for, but for nearly everything you'd ever want to do there's someone who has posted a tutorial on how to do it. I'd be happy to help by posting my methods of recording (simple quicktime audio recording for me) and trimming (via Audacity on a Mac) if this gets off the ground, and would be interested if someone comes up with something better.

@rdearman & other PowersThatBe - Could we also include things like recording ourselves reading our own writing, or reading excerpts from literature? Or should it have to be conversation? I could see myself working on some language islands with this...

Great suggestions! I'm cool with you working on your islands. In fact that is a bloody brilliant idea that I'm totally going to do myself. I don't really care what you use to allow you to generate sounds from your mouth. If you want to read, great. If you want to read your own writing, great. If you want to sing French songs while dancing naked in the moonlight.... wellll....

:)

Feel free to sign up. I've put up the registration thread, and s.mann if you have some links to tutorials for audacity recording, or skype, google hangouts, or anything else stick them in here, and I'll start a resources thread for the Output Challenge.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 20 of 21
21 February 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
This is amazing! I was just thinking the other day that my output skills need some major work. And the idea of
reading something out loud would really make this challenge manageable for me since it's hard for me to find
people to talk to (but I definitely want conversation to be the bulk of my hours).

It sounds like we've skipped the 6 week trial run stage and jumped right into the 10 months, is that right?

And yes I would read how-to technology posts if people write them! I guess a soundcloud account is a good
place for me to start.

I might have missed this part, but would we have to post our writing somewhere?

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5041 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 21 of 21
21 February 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
This is amazing! I was just thinking the other day that my output skills need some major work. And the idea of
reading something out loud would really make this challenge manageable for me since it's hard for me to find
people to talk to (but I definitely want conversation to be the bulk of my hours).

It sounds like we've skipped the 6 week trial run stage and jumped right into the 10 months, is that right?

And yes I would read how-to technology posts if people write them! I guess a soundcloud account is a good place for me to start.

I might have missed this part, but would we have to post our writing somewhere?

Yes, we are jumping in feet first with no lifeguard and 10 months. You don't have to post your writing, but it has been suggested you can post to lang-8 for corrections, into an Output Challenge log of your own, or perhaps one of the language specific areas of the forum (although I'm not sure about the last option). But you can certainly post to your own log.

A short tutorial on how to record with audacity (which is free and opensource) and runs on all operating systems.

How to record with google hangouts

How to record with google hangouts step-by-step guide

Hopefully those will help you record either audio only or audio/video.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version