Triglot
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German

Message 9 of 14
22 February 2015 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response, Lakeseayesno.

Would you mind explaining exactly what you mean by "once you mechanize the learning process"? Exactly what techniques are you referring to?

1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3631 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 10 of 14
22 February 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I am going to say Indonesian. It's easier than the others so you could get to a good
level more quickly and then start on one of the other languages.    I'm spoiled a little
bit in living in Australia so interesting materials are easier come across than the US
probably (the local library for instance has a large collection of music, books and
movies).   Plus you basically get Bahasa Malaya for free once you have Bahasa Indonesia -
two for the price of 1!

MBrecht92
Triglot
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German

Message 11 of 14
23 February 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
The thing is, in the US there are not that many Indonesian speakers at all, so it isn't (as far as I know) easy to find media or resources in said language. Also, my Indonesian friend has told me that her language and Malay are far more different from one another than is generally thought.

Edited by MBrecht92 on 24 February 2015 at 8:56pm

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5914 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 12 of 14
23 February 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
With Japanese here in the USA most of the work goes to native speakers. Maybe if you have some other field, law, science, engineering, that might be better. A whole lot of people move to Japan to teach English, and though nobody gets rich doing this, they seem to survive okay, even with limited Japanese skills. So might be an option, if you're looking for the Asia experience but want a destination where you can drink the tap water.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4123 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 13 of 14
23 February 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
MBrecht92 wrote:
Would you mind explaining exactly what you mean by "once you mechanize the learning process"? Exactly what techniques are you referring to?

This is very deeply entrenched with the way in which how *I* learn Japanese, so I apologize in advance if it doesn't sound very helpful to you. For me, "mechanizing the learning process" involves the repeated usage of a learning technique (any, really) that you have optimized for your own persona: therefore, at some point the use of that technique becomes part of your daily routine and learning requires a lot less effort.

For me, optimizing the learning of kanji was a "have-problem-will-find-solution" kind of exercise. I noticed that reading contextless, isolated kanji (even with the use of SRS) was not helping me retain the meanings and stroke orders of the characters, so I started messing around with the way I learned until I found an exercise that improved my retention rate. This exercise is essentially scriptorium with a twist:

1. Write full sentences from the media material I was watching everyday (in paper) while spelling them out loud
2. Pay special attention to unknown kanji and grammar constructions, research what I don't know
3. After letting the new information sink, repeat the sentence half an hour later (without the written sentence for reference--I only check when I absolutely can't remember)
4. Try to picture the unknown kanji in my mind while speaking it out loud

I found that if I'd written the kanji by hand, after 30 minutes to one hour my retention rate was absolute, and if I kept writing it often, it improved the longevity of that kanji in my head. When my written production levels improved, the "sentence copying" evolved into keeping a hand written journal, which keeps all the kanji I know fresh in my mind.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 14 of 14
24 February 2015 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Complexity is an overrated part of languages. Go for Persian. You seem to like it the
most and then you'll overcome complexity in no time.

People always bitch about the complexity of Russian but it's my favourite foreign
language and one of the ones I'm the best at. You'll overcome that complexity.

I agree, go with what you like best, it won't matter that the language is insanely complex. I love Russian as well. Interest is a strong motivator. However, practicality is also pretty strong as well, if everyone around you speaks Hindi for example, and you don't, it can be a good idea just to learn enough to converse, you do not need to learn the whole language, just enough to talk to people with. As I said though, go with what you are motivated to learn.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version