United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4381 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 9 of 42
05 March 2015 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Yay, the discussion thread is open again :)

I discovered today that I had something called "Sound recorder" on my (Windows) PC. It
seems idiot-proof; you just press "record" and it records. But I will investigate
Audacity in case I need to do anything more ambitious than that.

Have I remembered correctly that in one of the discussions somewhere you said it was
acceptable to read aloud? I have been thinking of doing this to start with as I want to
work on my pronunciation and intonation probably before I move on to spontaneous speech.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 42
05 March 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Yay, the discussion thread is open again :)

I discovered today that I had something called "Sound recorder" on my (Windows) PC. It
seems idiot-proof; you just press "record" and it records. But I will investigate
Audacity in case I need to do anything more ambitious than that.

Have I remembered correctly that in one of the discussions somewhere you said it was
acceptable to read aloud? I have been thinking of doing this to start with as I want to
work on my pronunciation and intonation probably before I move on to spontaneous speech.

Sure, as long as you record it. The recording thing is useful cause it lets you listen to your pronunciation, and also share for corrections.

:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4381 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 11 of 42
05 March 2015 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Sure, as long as you record it. The recording thing is useful cause it
lets you listen to your pronunciation, and also share for corrections.

:)

Excellent, thanks :) I am thinking of lowering the tone of the challenge by recording
myself reading Twilight aloud!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 12 of 42
05 March 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
The challenge owner surely wants to keep the 500-word-a-page? I've struggled to write 500 words in Georgian and they take over one A4-page, that is, almost two 'book' pages. I think sticking to the number of siilar chalenges is more fair. We have the most difficult challenge, the output one, and we have more severe rules than the input challenges do.

EDIT: italki asks you to write 2500 characters at most. These would be some 300-ish words of my Georgian text. All that makes more sense.

Edited by Expugnator on 05 March 2015 at 10:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Glarus Girl
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4373 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 
Studies: German, Swiss-German

Message 13 of 42
05 March 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
The challenge owner surely wants to keep the 500-word-a-page? I've
struggled to write 500 words in Georgian and they take over one A4-page, that is, almost
two 'book' pages. I think sticking to the number of siilar chalenges is more fair. We
have the most difficult challenge, the output one, and we have more severe rules than the
input challenges do.

In my handwriting I manage about 150 words to an A4 page so this 500 words has to be in
Word or people out there have exceptionally tiny handwriting! :o)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 42
05 March 2015 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I just used standard font size at Word.

By the way, I posted to lang-8 but since italki limits it to 2500 characters I'd have to split my single challenge entry into three posts. That totally defeats the point of studying from the corrections you get.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 15 of 42
06 March 2015 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
@Glarus Girl - No the word count is based on a completely arbitrary number of words. Initially I was going for the same word count as the Super Challenge which is 250 words per page of a book. If you count the words on a typical paperback book you'll see this is the case. The Super Challenge also counts a book as 50 pages. The move to doing 50,000 words in total, 500 words per page for 100 pages was because some people felt writing 100 pages of 250 words was easy in comparison to recording 100 hours of speaking.

@Expugnator - One thing to remember is 500 words per page is only for the purposes of the challenge. What I mean is, if you write 4 emails to your friend, and they are only 125 words each then together they equal 1 page of the challenge. So you see you don't need to write in blocks of 500. One so called page can be made up of:
- 1 email of 250 words
- 1 poem of 50 words
- 1 handwritten letter to your uncle of 200 words.
500 words in a "page" is simply a cumulative collection of words which make up an arbitrary page. If you want to complete the entire challenge by writing only one small bit of text each day, using the italki 2500 character limit, then adding them all up at the end, go for it.

In reality the Output Challenge is to record 100 hours of speech and 50,000 words (the size of one nanowrimo book), but 100 hours and 100 pages sounds better. :)

I'm hoping, regardless of the size of the pages or the number of words you are outputting, you'll see an improvement in your writing and speaking. I'd personally consider the challenge to have been a success if only one person were to feel they've activated their learning and improved their output. Personally I've only managed 265 words myself so far, but I've got 9+ months to do the rest.

@Radioclare - Count on you to lower the tone!

EDIT: Fixed URL of Nanowrimo.

Edited by rdearman on 06 March 2015 at 12:58am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 42
06 March 2015 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Maybe a star system can help? :)
(I'm not in anyway so I'm not trying to change the challenge to fit me)

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version