Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 12
24 February 2015 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
In Professor Alexander Arguelles - Reading Literature in Foreign Languages: Tool, Techniques, Target towards the last third or quarter of the lecture, he discusses his findings and approach for juggling multiple languages.

In a nutshell, he finds focusing on the stronger languages helps the weaker ones.
3 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3888 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 10 of 12
24 February 2015 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
thank you for this link. It's indeed very interesting, and I really hadn't thought about
this strategy, although I'm personally not so sure that it could work (although if Prof.
Arguelles says it, it could hardly be wrong)

Has anybody tried this technique? what were the results?
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3843 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 11 of 12
25 February 2015 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
It has to be added more context to this sentence by Alexander Arguelles: he said that in the scope of learning multiple languages that are related. So If you
know Spanish, Portuguese and Galician, spending more time with Spanish and Portuguese will keep your Galician in good health.

--

I'm doing exactly what the OP is describing. I'm changing my focus every month. January has been my French month, February my Spanish month and March
will be my Dutch month.
I find it quite effective but I don't have a lot of experience out of it. However I have questions that I leave as open points:

- how many languages is possible to alternate in this way? I find 3 pretty doable, although 4 can already be too much
- at which proficiency level is this more effective? If I start a new language, and study it for 1 month, and taking it back in 3-4 months, am I sure I'm going to
remember something? If I'm C1-C2 in a language, is this month of focused study adding something to me? I think that in the range A1/A2-B2 this can work
well, but in the complete beginner and advanced ranges it's better to spend different months in a row.
- I now find that for Spanish even 3 weeks were enough, and I'm sure that with Dutch I will need more.
- I think that after having overcame a treshold, the content of one's own study should be properly planned and targeted to fix some recognized issues.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
25 February 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm basically doing it the Prof Argüelles way. Although this isn't a one-way street - since Spanish has all those resources I love, I've learned some words through it that also exist in Portuguese and Italian (and it ended up surpassing my Italian last year).

If you use SRS for all languages, you can alternate as many as possible. But yeah at C1-C2 this won't make enough of a difference.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version