Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 23
22 February 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Awesome. I just hope you'll have the stamina to carry this through! These kinds of initiatives have a tendency to last for 5-6 lessons and then peter out. But I believe in you!
7 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 10 of 23
22 February 2015 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
nikolic993 wrote:
How did you make that PDF file?
I used LibreOffice Writer (the .ODT file). I included that in case you wanted to use it as a template for new lessons/you could add new lessons on the next page and have them all in one place. Alternatively, i'd be happy to add them in for you.

I also made some small changes to the English. I can't remember what all it was now, but i did change the "to express how extremely tired you got" part to "to express that you are extremely tired". I'm also not quite sure what "I died like a dog" means. You died the way a dog dies? And i'd say "tired as a dog", not "tired like a dog" (which kinda implies that dogs are generally tired).

If it's not intended to be a course for beginners, though, then you probably don't need to take my comments into consideration. It does seem like a good course to prepare you for movies and other things with more colloquial language. I wish it did start at a more beginner level and worked its way up, but that's just 'cuz i don't know any Serbian. I know there are already several beginner's courses out there, so maybe something more colloquial would be more helpful to others.

EDIT: Also, sorry i can't add any lessons of my own!

Edited by Crush on 22 February 2015 at 5:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3540 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 11 of 23
22 February 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
nikolic993 wrote:
How did you make that PDF file?
I used LibreOffice Writer (the .ODT file). I included that in case you wanted to use it as a template for new lessons/you could add new lessons on the next page and have them all in one place. Alternatively, i'd be happy to add them in for you.

I also made some small changes to the English. I can't remember what all it was now, but i did change the "to express how extremely tired you got" part to "to express that you are extremely tired". I'm also not quite sure what "I died like a dog" means. You died the way a dog dies? And i'd say "tired as a dog", not "tired like a dog" (which kinda implies that dogs are generally tired).

If it's not intended to be a course for beginners, though, then you probably don't need to take my comments into consideration. It does seem like a good course to prepare you for movies and other things with more colloquial language. I wish it did start at a more beginner level and worked its way up, but that's just 'cuz i don't know any Serbian. I know there are already several beginner's courses out there, so maybe something more colloquial would be more helpful to others.

EDIT: Also, sorry i can't add any lessons of my own!

Thanks.

Hopefully this will clear things up:
Umoran sam. - (I am tired)
Umorio sam se. - (I got tired) (lit. "I (have) tired myself" reflex.verb)
Crko sam. - ("I died" meaning "I got/am tired") - it's like a verb acting as an adjective

When an animal dies we use "uginuti".
When a person dies we use "umreti".

The verb "crknuti" or "crći" is a kind of a vulgar synonym for the word "umreti"(to die). It's also used in insults: "Crko dabogda!" - "May you die!

I'm not sure, but I think the Italian word "crepare" is pretty close in meaning. Like in the expression "Crepi il lupo!" (May the wolf die!?). Can some Italian confirm this?

"crknuti kao pas/konj(horse)" - The idiom probably stemmed from the fact that dogs and horses were, since the ancient times, used by sheppards and farmers for cattle herding, pulling plows, etc., and therefore, were always tired.

I hope I didn't make this even more complicated. :)

Yes, there are a lot of beginner courses, and I noticed that there are no slang/colloquial speech courses.

Ari wrote:
Awesome. I just hope you'll have the stamina to carry this through! These kinds of initiatives have a tendency to last for 5-6 lessons and then peter out. But I believe in you!
I will try to persevere!

Edited by nikolic993 on 22 February 2015 at 6:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 23
22 February 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Oh and wikia can definitely host this :) Feel free to start a category and a page (probably no need for a separate page for each lesson, but maybe groups of about 7-10?), or I can do that as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3807 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 13 of 23
24 February 2015 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Hi,
   your idea is beautiful.
However, did you plan in advance how to proceed?
How many lessons? 100? 50? 25?
How do you organize the topics?
Are you planning to record the audio of these lessons?
It is a very serious project. Do you have an idea of the time you need to complete the
course? I don't want to discourage you! You can bet that I will study Serbian with your
method if you'll finish it! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3540 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 14 of 23
24 February 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Lesson #2 is done. I just need to record the audio, and write out the notes and the vocab. I'll probably get it done this evening.

Serpent wrote:
Oh and wikia can definitely host this :) Feel free to start a category and a page (probably no need for a separate page for each lesson, but maybe groups of about 7-10?), or I can do that as well.

I'll do it when I finish a couple more lessons. :)

tristano wrote:
Hi,
   your idea is beautiful.
However, did you plan in advance how to proceed?
How many lessons? 100? 50? 25?
How do you organize the topics?
Are you planning to record the audio of these lessons?
It is a very serious project. Do you have an idea of the time you need to complete the
course? I don't want to discourage you! You can bet that I will study Serbian with your
method if you'll finish it! :)

Thanks. :)

I actually have no idea how to organize it, nor do I know how many lessons there will be. I'm just gonna go with the flow. :)

I know it's gonna take a lot of time to finish it, but I'm not in a hurry.

Edit: Yes, I'm gonna record the audio. One slow and one fast recording.

Edited by nikolic993 on 24 February 2015 at 4:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3540 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 15 of 23
24 February 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
SERBIAN – Lesson 2

Recordings: (I will edit the post later when I record the audio)
[Lesson 2 - Slow recording]
[Lesson 2 - Fast recording]

Kupovina u trafici.

1- Dobar dan. (1)
2- Dobar dan, izvolite? (2)
3- Daćete mi jedan crveni “Lucky”, dve "NES" kafe "3u1" i tri "Smoki-ja". (3) (4) (5)
4- Da li želite još nešto? (6)
5- Ništa više.
6- To bi bilo 326 (trista dvadeset i šest) dinara. (7)(8)
7- Evo ga. (9)
8- Izvolite kusur i račun.
9- Hvala. Doviđenja. (10)
10- Doviđenja.

Shopping at (in) the corner store.

1- Good afternoon. (Good day)
2- Good afternoon, how may I help you? (Good day, "explained in the notes")
3- (You will give me) one pack of red Lucky, two "NES 3in1" coffees, and three "Smoky-es".
4- Do you want anything else? (Do you want more something?)
5- Nothing else. (Nothing more)
6- That will (would) be 326 dinara.
7- Here you go. (Here he/it is)
8- Here is your change and receipt.
9- Thank you. Goodbye.
10- Goodbye.

Notes:
(1) Dobar dan - a formal greeting used after 8AM (an unspoken rule), until it starts getting dark.
(2) The word "Izvolite" has several different meanings: 1.Izvolite? (How may I help you?) 2.Izvolite. (Here you go.) 3.Izvolite + hand gestures (sign of approval for continuing an action or movement).
(3) Laki - short for "Lucky Strike".
(4) NES 3u1 - probably the most purchased instant coffee in Serbia.
(5) Smoki- ??? one of the most purchased type of “chips” in Serbia.
(6) Da li - a grammatical particle used for forming YES/NO questions. Da li imaš dovoljno vremena? (Do you have enough time?), Da li si bio na poslu danas? (Have you been to work today?), Da li je Zemlja okrugla?(Is the Earth round?)
(7)bi- 2nd and 3rd person singular and 3rd person plural form of the "Aorist" tense (not used in colloquial speech anymore) of the verb "to be". It is used for the construction of the Serbian "Potencijal(Potential)", which is used for expressing wishes, possibilities and intentions. Full conjugation: 1.ja bih 2.ti bi 3.on/ona/ono bi 4.mi bismo 5.vi biste 6.oni/one bi. Examples: Ja bih voleo da radim u toj kompaniji. (I would like to work in that company.) Da imam vise para, bio bih srećniji. (If I had more money, I would be happier).
(8) Dinar - the national currency. Euros are also used as a method of payment .
(9) Evo /ga/je/- Here he/she/it is. Similar to the Italian "Eccolo".
(10) Doviđenja - formal greeting meaning "Goodbye".

Vocabulary:
1.dan- day
2.crveno- red
3.kafa- coffee
4.želeti- to wish, to want
5.dati- to give
6.hvala- thanks
7.kupovina- shopping
8.račun- receipt, account
9. kusur- change(noun)
10.nešto- something
11.dovoljno- enough
12.više- more

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------

How do you call this type of "chips?" in America/GB? I honesty have no idea what they are called.

Again, all corrections and suggestion for a more natural English dialogue are welcome.

Edited by nikolic993 on 24 February 2015 at 6:58pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 16 of 23
25 February 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
I just added the new lesson to the previous ODT file:
Lessons 1-2 PDF
Lessons 1-2 ODT
Lesson 2 PDF

And i would just call them a snack, though Wikipedia calls them a "flips snack", maybe it's a UK thing.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version