Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 17 of 23
27 March 2015 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
SERBIAN – Lesson 3

Recordings:
[Lesson 3 - Slow recording]
[Lesson 3 - Fast recording]

Kladionica.

1- E, idem ja u kladionicu da odigram tiket za večeras. (1)
2- Jel si dobio nešto sinoć? (2)
3- Pao sam na Real, izgubili (su*) slepci od Šalkea. (3)
4- Dobili (su*) gol u 90-om (devedesetom) minutu.
5- Goša (je*) zajebao, prošla mu (je*) lopta kroz noge.
6- Ma znam, gledao sam utakmicu. Živ sam se pojeo. (4)
7- Odigr(a)o sam singl iz 1-1 (keca u keca). (5)
8- Koliko si uplatio?
9- 10.000 (deset hiljada).
10- Au brate, koji maler. (6)
11- Ma nema veze, valjda će biti bolje večeras.
12- Gledamo utakmicu kod mene? (7)
13- Može. Ja ću doneti piće, a ti spremi nešto da jedemo.
14- Nemoj donositi piće. Imam ja već piva u stanu.
15- Važi onda. Vidimo se kasnije. (8)
16- Vidimo se.

Betting window.

1- Yo, I’m going to the betting window to make a bet (play a betting ticket) for tonight.
2- Did you win (get) anything last night?
3- I lost because of (I fell on) Real, the idiots lost to Schalke.
4- They concieved (got) a goal in the ninetieth minute.
5- The goalkeaper screwed up, the ball went (passed) through his legs.
6- I know, I watched the game. I was very upset (alive I ate myself).
7- I bet (played) on a single match from 1to1.
8- How much money did you bet (how much did you pay?)
9- Ten thousand.
10- Bro, what a bummer (bro, which bummer.).
11- I doesn’t matter (he/she/it doesn’t have connection/link), hopefully (I guess) it’ll be better tonight.
12- Are we gonna watch the game at my place (we are watching the game at me)?
13- Sure (he/she/it can). I’ll bring drinks, and you make (prepare) something for us to eat.
14- Don’t bring drinks. I already have beer in my apartment.
15- Okay then. See you later (we see each other later).
16- See ya (we see each other).

Notes:

(*) Examples of how the auxiliary verb for forming the Past Tense is often left out in colloquial speech.
(1) kladionica - a betting place. You can find 4-5 of them on every street. Their interior usually looks like a bar, and you can purchase drinks and snacks to drink or eat while you’re filling in your betting ticket.
(2) jel - a substitute for “da li”, also used for asking YES/NO questions.
(3) slepac - a blind person. In colloquial speech it can mean “idiot”, “jerk”, “fool”.
(4) ma - an Italian word frequently used in everyday speech, but it doesn’t have the same meaning as in Italian. In most cases it means “soever”, but it’s also used as an emphasizer. Ma koliko god se mi trudili.(No matter how much we try.) Šta radi ovaj lik? Ma pusti budalu. (What is this dude doing? Let the idiot go.
(5) iz 1-1(keca u keca) - from one to one. When you place a 1-1 bet on a match, it means that the home team has to lead at halftime and win the match. 1 -home team winner, X -draw, 2 -away team winner, 2-2 -away team has to lead at halftime and win, X-X - draw at halftime and the end of the match.
(6) Au! - “whoa” - An interjection used for expressing surprise.
(7) kod mene - at my place. Idemo kod njenih.(We are going at her parent’s place.)
(8) Važi! - “Ok!“,“Sure“, “All right! “.

Vocabulary:
1.kec, jedan - one
2.kladionica - betting window (place)
3.tiket - betting ticket
4.pasti - to fall
5.izgubiti - (perf.v) to lose
6.dobiti - to get, to receive
7.goša, golman - goalkeeper
8.utakmica - match, game
9.odigrati - (perf.v) play
10.uplatiti - (perf.v) pay
11.valjda - I guess
12.piće - a drink, drinks
13.jesti - to eat
14.spremiti - to prepare

------------------------------------------------------

I recorded the audio for Lessons #2 and #3, but I forgot my phone at home. I'm gonna upload it probably next week.

I'm contemplating on whether or not I should include curse words in the "course". After all, they are a big part of everyday speech.

Edited by nikolic993 on 27 March 2015 at 4:15am

8 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3317 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 18 of 23
27 March 2015 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
hvala lepo, tebra :)

tvoj kurs je odlicno!

2 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3561 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English

Message 19 of 23
27 March 2015 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
hvala lepo, tebra :)

tvoj kurs je odličan!

hahah
Hvala i nema na čemu brate. :)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 20 of 23
28 March 2015 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't see any problem with including curse words, they're things you'll come across eventually anyway. Here's the latest PDF file with lesson 3 included:
PDF file
ODT file
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 21 of 23
31 March 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
nikolic993 wrote:
How do you call this type of "chips?" in America/GB? I honesty have no idea what they are called.

They look like cheese puffs to me. Are they cheesy? If not they'd be called something puffs.

Crush wrote:
And i would just call them a snack, though Wikipedia calls them a "flips snack", maybe it's a UK thing.

Definitely not a UK thing. From the wikipedia page, I think it must be a Serbian thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4840 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 23
01 April 2015 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

They look like cheese puffs to me. Are they cheesy? If not they'd be called something puffs.

Exactly the same applies to the USA. We would probably call these "corn puffs."

I don't think we have "flips" in the USA--I've never heard of it before. We do have similar products, usually cheese
flavored, called "cheese puffs," "cheese curls," "cheese balls," etc. depending on the shape. The most popular
brand of cheese puffs is exclusively referred to by the brand name, Cheetos. We do also have a brand of
completely unrelated snack called "Flipz," which is candy-covered pretzels.

In (USA) English we unfortunately don't have a good, neutral word for generic salty, crunchy snack foods, like for
example Portuguese salgadinho. There is the slang word munchies that can mean roughly that. If I
weren't trying to be precise, I could call those things "snacks" or "chips."

Regarding the Serbian course: These courses are great; I just wish they could be consolidated from multiple
writers to produce something with 500+ lessons in approximate order of difficulty. As is, the lessons always
ramp up faster than I can actually learn the language, and I don't get anywhere close to the amount of input I
need to consolidate new things. I'm always forced to procure lots of other material between each lesson. Then, by
the time I get to the end of one lesson series, all the other ones seem way too easy if I start from the beginning,
so it becomes hard to use them after that. I wonder what could be done to scale the lessons up? I assume it is too
much work for a single author to write them all, but as a community it should be doable for the more popular
languages.

Edited by robarb on 01 April 2015 at 7:30am

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3561 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English

Message 23 of 23
01 April 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I don't see any problem with including curse words, they're things you'll come across eventually anyway. Here's the latest PDF file with lesson 3 included:
PDF file
ODT file

Thank you.

Jeffers wrote:

Definitely not a UK thing. From the wikipedia page, I think it must be a Serbian thing.

The one in the picture is not cheesy, but you can buy other brands that are. It's made from: peanuts, corn grits and vegetable oil.   
robarb wrote:

Exactly the same applies to the USA. We would probably call these "corn puffs."

I don't think we have "flips" in the USA--I've never heard of it before. We do have similar products, usually cheese
flavored, called "cheese puffs," "cheese curls," "cheese balls," etc. depending on the shape. The most popular
brand of cheese puffs is exclusively referred to by the brand name, Cheetos. We do also have a brand of
completely unrelated snack called "Flipz," which is candy-covered pretzels.

In (USA) English we unfortunately don't have a good, neutral word for generic salty, crunchy snack foods, like for
example Portuguese salgadinho. There is the slang word munchies that can mean roughly that. If I
weren't trying to be precise, I could call those things "snacks" or "chips."

Regarding the Serbian course: These courses are great; I just wish they could be consolidated from multiple
writers to produce something with 500+ lessons in approximate order of difficulty. As is, the lessons always
ramp up faster than I can actually learn the language, and I don't get anywhere close to the amount of input I
need to consolidate new things. I'm always forced to procure lots of other material between each lesson. Then, by
the time I get to the end of one lesson series, all the other ones seem way too easy if I start from the beginning
so it becomes hard to use them after that. I wonder what could be done to scale the lessons up? I assume it is too
much work for a single author to write them all, but as a community it should be doable for the more popular
languages.

Bolded part: Same here. I'm up to lesson 67 in Assimil Italian and now the Colloquial Italian course seems way too easy, at least comprehension-wise. At least I get to revise and consolidate what I learned beforehand.

Regarding the course, I'll try to write as much lessons as I can. I'm writing down expressions, slang, curse words and fillers that I hear in my everyday conversations. Once I think I have enough to go with, I write out the lesson and translate it into English. I've slowed down a bit because of my college exams and obligations, but hopefully I'll keep them coming.

Edited by nikolic993 on 01 April 2015 at 3:03pm

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version