CelticBasque
United States
Joined 4383 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, French

Message 1 of 10
22 February 2015 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Obviously to some people, this is going to sound like a stupid question. (It may sound a bit less idiotic after I give a
little background).
I'm applying to graduate schools for history and each school has specific requirements for each type of history. (E.g.
Ancient history = Latin, Ancient Greek, French, and German. Modern European History = French and German. etc.)

Basically, if I have 4 years to be a college student and help get a headstart on languages before the language exams,
I need to know which are possible to pass in the time between now and then.

So it really is of the utmost importance how long it takes to read. I'm not looking for pinpoint accurate answers. But
general ones. FSI says that Russian takes 1,100 class hours and obviously that differs depending on the individual
and the strategy etc., but it certainly helps one see that its quite a bit harder than french 575-600 hours.

For each language, how long do you think it would take to be able to read well (newspapers, books, etc.) but with a
dictionary.

I already have experience in Russian, French, Latin, and Italian and I have a pretty good aptitude for learning
languages in general.

These are the languages I'm interested in, but any estimates for other languages would be nice too.

Mandarin
Japanese
French
Russian
German

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 10
22 February 2015 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I have taken a mostly input based approach to learning German (i.e., lots of reading and watching of films).

Rather than talk about hours, it's probably better to talk about words/pages of text, since everyone reads at somewhat different rates.

I am now at about 22000 pages of German. I would put myself at low-C1 level for reading. I can read a standard novel without difficultly without a dictionary. At 10000 pages I was somewhere in the B2 stage. That's not to say that I can read any newspaper easily (I struggle a bit with the German equivalent to the New York Times, for instance). I quite comfortably read 10000 pages a year (30/pages a day). So to get to my current level took 2.5 years.

What is perhaps really important to realise is that you don't need anywhere as complete an understanding of a language's grammar for receptive purposes as opposed to production, which means you can start reading pretty soon. The thing that will hold you up is a sufficient vocabulary - but if you have somewhere between 1000-3000 words you can start reading novels. With the proviso that languages that are more distant from English are going to offer less of a cognate discount, so may require a larger vocabulary to easily pickup a book and start reading.

Just use a Kindle with a pop-up dictionary (I recommend the discontinued one's with cursors, rather than touchscreens, which you can still pickup on Ebay for about $50).

Reading comprehension will come from reading, not from classes, so the sooner you start reading the better.

Edited by patrickwilken on 22 February 2015 at 10:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

CelticBasque
United States
Joined 4383 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes

Message 3 of 10
22 February 2015 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, that was a great response. I'm not yet at the level where I can read a book/newspaper article
without having to check vocabulary at couple times each line, but I think like you said, I just need to get my vocab to
around 3000 words and then I can start that. (Right now I'm focusing on Russian). The grammar aspect is certainly
true, its necessary to know basic grammar rules and constructions, but not the fine details.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
22 February 2015 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Related (and recent) topic:
How long in order to read?

CelticBasque
United States
Joined 4383 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes

Message 5 of 10
22 February 2015 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
thank for the link, Jeff. This is exactly what I was looking for.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3631 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 6 of 10
22 February 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
There are also specific books and resources with strategies for learning to read for
academic purposes that theoretically speed up the process from the usual reading while
language learning (many universities have courses in it too for graduate students).

For instance, German Quickly by April Wilson.

Edited by redflag on 22 February 2015 at 11:20pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 7 of 10
23 February 2015 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Do they really expect students to be able to read Ancient Greek, Latin, French, and German???

Most university students have very low proficiencies in the languages they MAJOR in! So how is it that they expect to be reasonably fluent in four? (with enough vocabulary to be able to be productive in reading those languages?

It seems like an awful lot to ask.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 8 of 10
23 February 2015 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
This sort of question came up at least once already. There is no straightforward answer. In my experience I
started off with Cantonese in Hong Kong. Back then the education system focused on memorizing textbooks,
drills and exercises. Even in primary school we had almost 2 hours of homework every night. And to keep up
academically parents would hire private tutors or sent kids to tutors for additional instructions. We just didn't
have time to visit the local library or read anything outside the school curriculum. The ones who did regularly
were thought of as not being focus on their studies.

After moving to Canada I started reading articles from a subscription of the Chinese edition of the Reader's
Digest. I received Chinese instructions only up to the primary school level but picked up enough characters to
read a newspaper. I know 2 people who studied Chinese up to the high school level but have completely lost
the ability to read anything from the newspaper to a restaurant menu.

If you come across an article in the newspaper in a language, how much can you pick up? 2 months ago while
I was in Hong Kong, I picked up an article from a local newspaper on the travels of Marco Polo. And on the
Internet I found 2 similar articles from English newspapers. The 1 thing I tend to find intimidating in a Chinese
newspaper are the foreign names of individuals and place names that get translated into Chinese. Without the
original you go by the combination Chinese characters that are supposed to represent foreign names
phonetically. If you know a topic well enough, you just need to pick up a few key words and you may be able
to guess what the rest of the text says. There may be a news report you heard a few hours earlier in English
regarding a plane crash in Taiwan. Then you listen to the same report in Chinese you tend to pick up more.
Even if you don't know half the words & phrases, the fact that you heard the same piece of news in a familiar
language you can sort of guess what the news reporter was referring to.

A novel tends to be more abstract. But you can pick up the content in magazine with lots of photos easily.
Like in a Chinese magazine there is a photo of a European looking city. Even without knowing the place name,
you come to the conclusion this is in the travel section and the town / city is in Europe. And further down the
page are photos of food and next to these the € symbol followed by numbers. You come to the conclusion
that the magazine is referring to a local restaurant in Europe where the Euro is used.

In the beginning of learning a new language even when reading is a challenge, getting the content depends on
how much effort you want to spend looking up words in a dictionary. A while ago someone in my workplace
asked me to translate an article that was in a local Chinese newspaper back to English. For people who have
no experience with Chinese characters or a foreign script, looking up the dictionary can be next to impossible.
But if you stick to German, Italian, French, etc. that use the Latin alphabet, you can look up every word easily.

Looking up words & phrases in Chinese tend to be more tedious. If you know how to pronounce a word /
phrase phonetically but don't know the character, you can easily type in the phonetics with the Latin alphabet
(Pinyin) and find the character easily. If come across a character you don't know, you can look it up by radical
which takes slightly longer.

Edited by shk00design on 23 February 2015 at 6:08am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version