JennW
United Kingdom
Joined 3345 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French, Polish

Message 1 of 5
04 March 2015 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I posted this yesterday before everything was reset so apologies if someone replied before I saw it...
Having read through threads on here I have found some brilliant online materials for learning French (thanks everyone for sharing!). I have particularly been enjoying viedemerde.com which has short (1-3 sentence) stories about bad things that have happened to people on a particular day. It's great for me because I can read one or two at a time if I'm busy and it's a good source of "authentic" language.
I have recently started learning Polish and was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar I could use? Basically something that is not aimed at learners but has very short texts (so if need be I can translate every word initially!).
Thank you very much!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 5
04 March 2015 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
You could subscribe to Transparent Language and get a Word of the Day sent to your email everyday, for free. Available in Polish as well as German and French. You get the word and a short sentence illustrating it (in Polish and English). It may be too learner-orientated for you, see what you think.

Edited by Mooby on 04 March 2015 at 11:56pm

JennW
United Kingdom
Joined 3345 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Studies: German, French, Polish

Message 3 of 5
05 March 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I actually already have that bookmarked and have indeed found it helpful and interesting.
As you say though, I'd quite like to find something less learner-orientated. More like the kind of thing someone Polish would "waste time on" on the internet!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 5
07 April 2015 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I like to waste time in some of my target languages by reading short comic strips.

For Polish, I recommend the following:

- Tori Komix (ran from 2010 to 2014)
- Głosy w mojej głowie (active since 2011)
- Galeria Andrzeja Mleczki (Mleczka is a satirist and some of his panels may require some cultural or historical knowledge to get the punchlines, in addition to some reading knowledge of Polish)
- Garfield (several years' worth of strips and gags translated to Polish but if you don't understand one, you can find the English original if you look hard enough)
- Real Life (236 strips translated from the English original - not the best translation in that the Polish has some spelling mistakes, but I guess that it's indirectly useful by testing your knowledge of Polish spelling)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 5
08 April 2015 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
- Garfield (several years' worth of strips and gags translated to Polish but if you don't understand one, you can find the English original if you look hard enough)

Shouldn't that be trivial if you search by image via google?

Edited by Serpent on 08 April 2015 at 7:59am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version