Taiwan
syricfreising.blogsp
Joined 4069 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English

Message 1 of 3
09 March 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,
I would like to write down my progress on L-R. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Background
Mandarin native speaker, conversant in English and Taiwanese(Southern Min), basic fluency in German (around B1-B2).

Why L-R?
I learned L-R two years ago on this forum but I'd not tried it myself before. I've tried subs2srs and I found the concept was similiar to L-R in some way. I choose L-R since I could avoid dealing with thousands of audio files and miserable computers.

What I've done
Before I started do L-R on Korean, I watched 21 Korean dramas without subtitles and achieved limited results. (last post) I stayed in Seoul for a week in late January and speaked to my host family in (baby-talk) Korean. Instead of the power of Korean dramas, I believe my ability in Mandarin and Taiwanese works better :-p

After that, I've done Korean L-R for about 15 hours and achieved remarkable good results. I used audio New Testament from the website bible.is. I'm not christian and I haven't read the Bible before, so everything seems new for me. Depends on my daily schedule, I've done L-R 20 mins up to one and a half hour a day. I have no time to assault the language. However, I am able to understand the story 50%-100% while reading in L1, and perhaps 20-50% without reading the text. I've become familiar with the Korean structure and mostly been able to match the sound with Mandarin text.

I recently bought a complete set of Disney's animation in Korean, and I am interested to know how much I could understand outside the Bible world. Mal schauen :-p

What I plan to do
I plan to learn Czech because I would like to communicate with my Czech friend with Czech instead of German. (He can hardly speak English.) I'll use My Book of Bible Stories from JW. I am thinking of doing Korean L-R in metro and Czech L-R at home. Hope my Czech will soon be as good as my Korean.

I will do my best to update my log everyday.

Edited by syrichw on 09 March 2015 at 3:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

syrichw
Diglot
Taiwan
syricfreising.blogsp
Joined 4069 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English

Message 2 of 3
12 March 2015 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Day 1
[KOR: Acts 12-28; Romans 1]
I did Korean L-R two hours.
No apparent achievement. Perhaps I'm a little bit too tired.

Day 2
[KOR: Romans 2-3]
Only had time to do Korean L-R 10 minutes.
Compare to the four Gospels, I assume Romans would be easier to decipher since there are a lot of parallel sentences inside.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 3
23 March 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
It's very interesting to read about your results with L-R for Korean. Generally I think reading is one of the best strategies as soon as it's possible to do - you're luck you can already understand so much. Looking forward to reading more from you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version