United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 1 of 19
12 March 2015 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I've been learning Spanish for about 2-3 years off and on, but with no real consistency. I know I
need to be studying every single day, but it just hasn't happened for me and sometimes I have
even gone a couple months without picking up a Spanish book. I want to try to remedy my
inconsistency, though, so I will be committing to put in 30 minutes per day at a minimum from now
until the end of July. Since I currently consider myself somewhere at the upper end A2, I'm hoping
to advance to a high B1 or even B2.

I have two reasons for picking the end of July as my deadline. First, that is when I am planning on
starting a new language (either German or Russian), so I want to be as comfortable as possible
with Spanish by that point, and 2) I am currently on unit 29 of Platiquemos and if it takes me
somewhere around 3 days per unit, I think I should just about finish it sometime in mid July.

That being said, the 'tools' I plan to use are:
1) Platiquemos
2) Assimil (just the notes) and Michel Thomas to fill in any grammatical gaps.
3) Skype conversations, aiming for at least 2 per week (if any of you Spanish speakers/learners
feel like adding me, I'd be thrilled :) )
4) Lastly, I'm currently somewhere in the middle of Notes in Spanish intermediate, so I'll continue
listening to that when I can and follow up with NiS advanced.
1 person has voted this message useful

joshka
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 2 of 19
12 March 2015 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
On a related note, if any of you have done Platiquemos before, is there a particular method you
used? Or did you just read through it and make sure you understood/remembered everything before
moving on... ?

joshka
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 3 of 19
13 March 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Finished Platiquemos unit 29 today. It was pretty short so it only took a couple hours total. It's quite
a bit easier than previous units, in my opinion. Clitics still take a little while to do on the fly, but I think
I'm generally starting to get it.

I also went through my anki deck for my Platiquemos units up to this point. So far so good.

(Also, I just found the Big Bang Theory online in Spanish. Amazing. I just wish they also had the
subtitles available.)

Edited by joshka on 13 March 2015 at 4:36am

joshka
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 4 of 19
13 March 2015 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
A question for all you Anki users: When you create cards in Anki, do you typically put individual
words/vocabulary or do you tend to insert entire sentences?

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5177 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 19
14 March 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Your post sounds a lot like mine did when I started Spanish... trying to get in 30 minutes a day consistently. Find something you like and then just stick with it. Once it becomes a habit it will be easy.

In terms of Platiquemos/FSI think doing the lesson at 90+% would be a good idea before moving on.

joshka
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 6 of 19
14 March 2015 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Your post sounds a lot like mine did when I started Spanish... trying to get in 30
minutes a day consistently. Find something you like and then just stick with it. Once it becomes a
habit it will be easy.

In terms of Platiquemos/FSI think doing the lesson at 90+% would be a good idea before moving on.

Thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by doing it at 90+% ?? Do you mean understanding
that much of it (basically, being able to give the right response 90% of the time or do you mean
specifically being able to respond correctly within the short amount of time on the audio clips?

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5177 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 7 of 19
14 March 2015 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
I mean doing the lesson to the point where you are giving correct answers in the short amount of time at least 90% of the time. In actuality, I did it a bit different. I just did each lesson three times and by the third time I was usually able to give nearly all of the answers in the space given. I found that the last 10 lessons were a bit too hard and so I just did the best I could with them.

FSI can be overwhelming so just do what you can and try to move through it at a good pace that is right for you.

joshka
Joined 3349 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 8 of 19
14 March 2015 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I mean doing the lesson to the point where you are giving correct answers in the
short amount of time at least 90% of the time. In actuality, I did it a bit different. I just did each
lesson three times and by the third time I was usually able to give nearly all of the answers in the
space given. I found that the last 10 lessons were a bit too hard and so I just did the best I could with
them.

FSI can be overwhelming so just do what you can and try to move through it at a good pace that is
right for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really enjoying FSI so far except for the fact that a good portion of the
Spanish audio is by an American. It would be much better for accent if it was all native. I'm still a bit
torn between Latin American and European Spanish, but since Platiquemos seems to be the best
program I've found, I'm going with that.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version