Tags: Polish | Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3878 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
13 March 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I am beginning study Polish using the French Assimil, and plan to study one lesson each
day. I should thus finish the book in a bit more than 3 months.
I plan on visiting a Polish friend in August, and wanted to reach at least A1, and if
possible A1-A2, in order to be able to speak a bit of Polish.
I know the method says that I would reach B2, but I doubt it. I actually don't really
know what to except, since it's the first time I study with an Assimil... and since
it's my first slavic language, I have no idea how long it will take me to begin
speaking the language...

I have no knowledge of slavic languages, I only know roman and Germanic language.

I this goal doable? Do I need more time? Or should I work more intensively, like going
through 2 lesson each day and work in 1,5 months with other materials?
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3838 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 3
14 March 2015 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Hello guiguixx1,

I have a copy of the 2003 edition of Assimil Le Polonais by Barbara Kuszmider. As for virtually all of the Assimil language courses, this one is well-conceived. Now, I am about to offer some potentially unpopular opinions...

Level Achieved?
I find the publisher's assertion that one can attain a B2 CEFR Level with their "Sans Peine" courses, or the equivalent, to be quite optimistic. I would suggest that a more realistic achievement would be somewhere between A2 and B1, depending on how much time and effort are put into using this course.

Course Notes
Given the number of languages that you already speak, or are studying, you are most likely familiar with Assimil method. So, let us agree that the only true weakness of the Assimil approach lies in the notes that accompany the dialogues. In my experience what Assimil says is often correct; however the way they say it, in the individual lesson units, does not lead to a clear understanding of what may be a broader, and far more complex grammatical issue. Given the particular "distance" that separates the Slavic languages from the Germanic and Romance languages, I find that their notes are inadequate. So, I would recommend that you keep both a Grammar and a Book of Verbs at hand while using the Assimil Le Polonais course.

Goal of A2 by August?
I assume that you want to cover all of the material in each of the 100 lessons and that you would like to be able to use your newly-acquired language skills in common, predictable situations. You have given yourself four and half months, or about 1,3 days per lesson. Although you are an experienced language-learner, and although many people would say that you have enough time before you, I am under the impression that this goal is "a bridge too far", unless you can devote many hours a day, every day, to this project. I do not think that doubling the lessons per day is a viable solution; rather, increased concentration on each individual lesson is required. In other words, unless you can simulate a true "full immersion" setting, I do not think that you can "cram" this amount of learning into the time alloted. Perhaps a more realistic goal would be to concentrate on the first 50 lessons only and, having reached this level, of reviewing this material as often as possible before you visit Poland.

Chung Is The Guru!
I am under the impression that CHUNG has created several posts on Polish. The only link that I have been able to find is the POLISH PROFILE.

Edited by Speakeasy on 14 March 2015 at 12:53am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 3 of 3
14 March 2015 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I am using Assimil Polish after doing RS, Supermemo bez+ and a little grammar at the side.
I guess that my level is between A1 and A2. I could hold small talk conversations and
answer the phone. My target is B1 by next year end. Currently I do 1 lesson a day, about
1.0 hr. I am in lesson #20. To improve reading and vocabulary I signed up in Linqg. I also
do about 30 min of Anki, etc. Overall, I spent about 2 hrs per day for the last 12 months.

Though my experience with Polish Assimil is limited, I feel that it would be very hard to
do it in 3 months without having prior knowledge of the language. Consider that Assimil has
2500 or so new words. It comes out to be about 25 new words day. A tough call, I think. I
already know 75 % of the Assimil's words because of my prior studies. I doubt that I could
do a lesson a day if I were starting from zero. Because the language and the grammar are so
different to Spanish, English and French. I know fluently English and Spanish. I used to
speak French that but that was 40 years ago. I have my doubt that it is possible to reach
B1 in 1 YEAR without very intensive work. Good luck

If I were starting again, I would do first Supermemo bez+1 (it took me 6 months) and then
follow it with Assimil (I guess 4 months disregarding the grammar notes.). Of course, Anki
is a very important part of the game.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version