Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 89 of 403
13 March 2016 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Remember this post?
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
How I memorize the Kanji 村 (mura), which means "village":
In my country there was a soap opera adapted from a novel titled "7 Manusia Harimau" (7 Tiger Humans). It took place in a village named Kumayan. The left part of the Kanji 村 has the Kanji 木 which means "wood". Kumayan village was located in a district named Kayulima, and the word "kayu" itself means "wood". The left part of the Kanji 村 has something which looks like the Katakana for na (ナ). The Japanese word for the number 7 is "nana". As for the little stroke in the middle, I associate in with a newcomer in Kumayan since it often got newcomers.

The name of the deuteragonist in this series is "Rajo Langit", which in Rejang language (the series takes place in Bengkulu, Sumatra) means "Sky King". I like that now I can write his name in Kanji, which is 空王. I have a dream that if someday I am able to make a long-running adction adventure action, I will name the deuteragonist 空王.
1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 90 of 403
14 March 2016 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Finally I reached the hardest Kanji in grade 1, ito (糸) = thread. On a positive thought, though, the Arabic for "thread" is easy for me to memorize. It is "khayt". If the little dot on top of the "kh" letter is moved to the bottom instead, it will become "jayt" which has the same pronounciation as "jahit", the Indonesian word for "sew".

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 91 of 403
15 March 2016 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Remember this post?
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Today's Kanji: 休 (yasu = rest)
To memorize the Kanji, I imagine that the Kanji 休 consists of the Kanji 人 (hito = person) dan 木 (ki = tree). So, the picture is like someone leaned to a tree.
To memorize the meaning, I remember the phrase "oYASUminasai" which is spoken to people go to sleep.
The Arabic for 休 is راحة (rohah), which can be read as "rohat" due to the ta' marbutah. This surprised me, since I didn't know that the Indonesian slang word for "rest", which is "rehat", was derived from an Arabic word. All along this time I thought it was derived from Batavian language.

Turns out that the Indonesian word "istirahat" also comes from Arabic:

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 92 of 403
16 March 2016 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Just learnt that the Kanji for "evening" is 夕. Does it also apply to "night" as well? Also, I wonder what's the difference between this Kanji (夕) and the Katakana for "ta" (タ). Can I distinguish them in a text?

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 93 of 403
17 March 2016 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Yuhakko wrote:
On another topic: I love how you compare Japanese, Arabic and Indonesian! Very insightful !

I think that's my best way of memorizing vocabularies from other languages. There is even one word which stands out the most. It is the formal word of "you". The Indonesian word is "anda", the Arabic word is "anta", and the Japanese word is "anata". It even still makes sense whether the Indonesian word came from Arabic or Japanese since most Indonesians are muslims whose center is in Arab while Japan has invaded Indonesia during World War II.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 94 of 403
18 March 2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Yuhakko wrote:

方 is a very useful kanji that you'll see often. I can either be pronounced かた (がた)or ほう. It can mean "person, direction, alternative". If you say 「あの方が……」, it's the same as 「あの人」but more polite.

I see... Javanese use similar system... To say "that person" one can say "tiyange niku" or "priyayine niku", but the latter is more polite although both of them are used in formal conversation.

Yuhakko wrote:

It sure is a great way of memorizing vocabulary! I kinda wonder, does it take long to find out those connections or do you think about them as soon as you see those words ?

Yes, it does. The most extreme example in my notes is how I memorized the Arabic word for "crow" (ghuroban). I connect it like this: Ghuroban -> Ghrob -> Chrob -> Chrov -> Crow. However, some of them were indeed thought as soon as I see those words, like how I associate the Arabic word for "trophy" (ka'sun) with the Japanese word for "win" (katsu).

Yuhakko wrote:

Do you think those words which look/sound similar between the three languages are related to that history ? Or maybe Japanese just happen to have something similar? Because I doubt that the whole language itself was changed while Japan invaded Indonesia during WWII, or did it ?

No, I am not interested in their history. It's just fun to guess which words came from which language.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 95 of 403
19 March 2016 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
The Arabic word for "power" is قوة, which is pronounced as "quwwah" and the ta' marbutoh in the last letter makes it can be read as "quwwat". Makes me realize that the Indonesian word for "strong" (kuat) also comes from Arabic, and the Indonesian word for "power" itself is "kekuatan" which is based on "kuat".

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 96 of 403
20 March 2016 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
The last part of my Grade 1 Kanji Japanese-Arabic flashcards:

This discussion contains 403 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version