Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 137 of 403
16 June 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 場 (ba = place) to 線 (sen = line) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Kanji for "heart" is 心, which looks like the Katakana for "ba" (バ). Its Arabic word is قلب, which my peers when I was a child thought it was كلب which means "dog". The equivalent word for "dog" here itself is a curse word.
The Kanji for "parent" is 親 which consists of the Kanji 立 (ta = stand), 木 (ki = tree), and 見 (mi = see). However, I guess the combination of 立 and 木 on the left (standing on a tree) is a pictogram of a human instead. Thus, 親 means "human who is watching us".
The Arabic word for "west" is غرب, which is the base word for مغرب, a time of an Islamic prayer which is done during the sunset. The sun sets in the west.
The Kanji for "star" is 星 which consists of the Kanji 日 (nichi = sun) and 生 (u = born). The sun is a star, so a star might be a sun in other galaxies. Thus, star = raising sun.
The Kanji for "fine weather" is 晴 which consists of the Kanji 日 (nichi = sun) and 青 (ao = blue). The first time I saw the Kanji, I thought "What the hell is a blue sun? Does it mean a star?". Turned out it means shiny day on the blue sky.
The Arabic word for "snow" is ثلج (tsalji). It was absorbed in Indonesian as "salju", though it gets me wondering because there is never any snow in Indonesia (and I think Arab shouldn't have either).
The Kanji for "line" is 線 which consists of the Kanji 糸 (ito = thread), 白 (shiro = white), and 水 (mizu = water). The first time I saw the Kanji, I thought it means "web" because I have seen a spider shot its white liquid which turned to a thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 138 of 403
22 June 2016 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 前 (mae = before) to 直 (nao = straight) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Kanji for "run" is 走, which looks like 足 (foot) but with 土 (soil) instead of 口 (mouth). So yeah, we are gonna use these feet to run on soil.
The Kanji for "great" is 太 which is just 大 with an extra stroke.
The Kanji for "body" is 体, which I interpret as a book abut human. Such book must also talk about human body, right?
The Arabic word for "pond" is بركة ماء, "blessed water"?
And the best part here is... the Arabic word for "bird" (طير = toir) and the Japanese word for "bird" (鳥 = tori) sound similar.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 139 of 403
25 June 2016 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 通 (tsuu = pass) to 南 (minami = south) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Arabic word for "younger brother" is الأخ الأصغر, which is consisted of الأخ (brother) and الأصغر (smaller).
The Arabic word for "shop" is متجر, whose three base letters are t-j-r which is associated with money. Using the pattern maXYaZ which means a place for XYZ, I can understand that a shop is a place owned by someone who has money.
The Arabic word for "present" is حاضر, which got absorbed to Indonesian word "hadir".
The Arabic word for "answer" is جواب, which got absorbed to Indonesian word "jawab".

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 140 of 403
29 June 2016 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Last night I dined together with my former crush and we talked a lot about Japanese languange. She mentioned a manga titled "Boku dake ga Inai Machi", then I tried to translate it and the one which came out was "Only Me Who Doesn't Have a Town". She called me out and said that the right translation was "A Town Without Me". I then admitted that I still had a hard time to translate a sentence. She then pointed out that the title wasn't even a sentence, but rather just a phrase.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 141 of 403
02 July 2016 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 肉 (niku = meat) to 北 (kita = north) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Japanese word for "meat" is "niku", which I knew beforehand from Chouji's jutsu in Naruto manga, Nikudan Sensha.
The Arabic word for "sell" is تاجر, which In Indonesia means someone who likes treating others and both have something to do with money.
The Kanji for "buy" is 買, which has the Kanji for shellfish (貝). I have heard that centuries ago, shellfishes were used as currency.
The Arabic word for "half" is نصف. During the middle of Sya'ban, people often talk about Nishfu Sya'ban, which means "half of Sya'ban".
The Arabic word for "hear" is سمع, which got absorbed to Javanese word "semak" meaning "listen to".
The Arabic word for "rice" is أرز (arz). Arz -> Raz -> Rize -> Rice. Its Kanji is 米, which looks like 木 with two seeds popping out. So, I interpret 米 as a seeded tree (plant).
The Kanji for "step" is 歩 which consists of the Kanji 止 (to = stop) and 少 (suku = few). So, yeah, we must stop for a view, each time we are walking.
The Kanji for "mother" is 母 which, according to the Smart Kanji Book, is a pictogram of woman's breast.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 142 of 403
10 July 2016 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 毎 (mai = every) to 話 (hanashi = speak) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Arabic word for "ten thousand" is عشرة آلاف, which is consisted of عشرة (ten) and آلاف (thousand).
The Kanji for "bright" is 明 which consists of the Kanji 日 (hi = sun) and 月 (getsu = moon). Put the sun and the moon together and it will be very bright.
The Kanji for "cry" is 鳴 which consists of the Kanji 口 (kuchi = mouth) and 鳥 (tori = bird). To let out a cry, a bird must open its mouth, right?
The Kanji for "gate" is 門, which does look like a gate, or at least, an entrance door to the bar.
The Arabic word for "field" is حقل. Well, if the Arabic word for ricefield is حقل أرز and the Arabic word for "rice" is أرز, the Arabic word for "field" should be foregone conclusion, eh?
The Arabic word for "task" is عمل, which got absorbed to Indonesian word "amal" meaning "deed".
The Kanji for "countryside" is 里 which consists of the Kanji 田 (da = ricefield) and 土 (do = soil). So yeah, the countryside must be the soil with a lot of ricefields!
The Kanji for "reason" is 理 which consists of the Kanji 王 (ou = king) and 里 (sato = coountryside). A king is the reasoning voice of a countryside. Its Arabic word is سبب, which later absorbed to Indonesian word "sebab".
The Kanji for "speak" is 話 which consists of the Kanji 言 (i = say), 千 (ten = one thousand), and 口 (kuchi = mouth). So, if language (語) is "saying something with five mouths" then speaking (話) is "saying something with one thousand mouths".

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 143 of 403
17 July 2016 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 悪 (aku/waru = bad) to 屋 (ya = shop) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 4 days (3 Kanjis per day, since now I have entered grade 3). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Japanese word for "bad" is "waru", which I knew beforehand from the translation of WaruMonzaemon's name (bad Monzaemon) in the Digital Monster Almanac. Didn't expect that the Kanji 悪 written on Sanosuke Sagara's back means "bad", though.
The Kanji for "dark" is 暗 which consists of the Kanji 日 (hi = sun) and 音 (oto = sound). Didn't see the relevancy, so I'd just make a stretch: During the dark there is no sun and there is only sound.
The Kanji for "mind" is 意 which consists of the Kanji 音 (oto = sound) and 心 (kokoro = heart). The mind is the sound (voice) of the heart.
The Arabic word for "drink" is شرب whose three base letters are sy-r-b. "Syrub/Shrub" is an SFX of slurping a beverage in Indonesia.
The Arabic word for "swim" is طفا, which I remember because there is a friend of mine named Tofa who likes swimming. His mother even gave me a swimsuit once.
The Arabic word for "center" is وسط, which I remember because there is an Indonesian word "wasit" which means "referee" and referee must stand in the middle ground.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 144 of 403
24 July 2016 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Learnt the Kanji from 温 (atata = warm) to 急 (iso = hurry) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 4 days (3 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Kanji for "warm" is 温 which looks like a pan above a stove with the "sanzui" radical being the water steam. That's how we get warm water.
The Kanji for "load" is 荷 which has the Kanji for "what" (何) with two plus signs above. I consider those double plus signs as the load. Of course when we are suddenly loaded with something, we will yell, "What??"
The Kanji for "open" is 開 which has the Kanji for "gate" (門) with something which looks like an opened door in the middle. Its Arabic word is "فتح", the basic word for the first Surah in the Koran "الفاتحة" (the opening).
The Arabic word for "cold" is بارد, which I remember because I have a neighbor whose name is Mr. Barid. Once he introduced himself to another Moslem and when the other person wanted to make sure he didn't misheard the name, Mr. Barid said "Barid. Cold.".
The Kanji for "hurry" is 急 which looks like a Baku puppet running left hurrily.

This discussion contains 403 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version