Groupie
United States
Joined 5294 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 1 of 3
15 March 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I just bought this program to supplement Assimil and FIA with something that can more
thoroughly explain grammar, and I'm curious how those of you who've used it did so. It
says to study 1 hour a day for 3 months, and it's broken into weeks, however, the
material for one week seems far too little for someone to get a full 7 hours of study out
of. How did you guys use the program?
1 person has voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4848 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 3
25 April 2015 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Hugo is really a good resource to supplement your learning adventure. I like the French book a lot. At first,the task may seem daunting to complete 7 lessons week but start doing so... you may find the first few lessons a breeze once you engage in it.. Just dont force yourself to complete 7 a week or else you will hate it. Manage your time according to your ability to grasp each lesson. Bonne chance!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 3
25 April 2015 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Silvance wrote:
I just bought this program to supplement Assimil and FIA with something that can more thoroughly explain grammar, and I'm curious how those of you who've used it did so. It says to study 1 hour a day for 3 months, and it's broken into weeks, however, the material for one week seems far too little for someone to get a full 7 hours of study out of. How did you guys use the program?

The material seems too little to fill an hour a day for you because it's not your only source of learning. If it was your only course, you would need to repeat, revise and practice each section several times to really take it all in.

I found the course very good for a quick review of grammar basics, and I think it will be a good supplement to Assimil and FIA, which both take a more inductive approach. It's nice to have everything explained to you in a systematic way. The Hugo advanced course looks really good as well, with each chapter being built around an article or excerpt from real French. I think it would be a good way for a student who finished a beginner course or two to get ready for native materials.

Even though I had already finished Assimil when I started it, I found listening to the audio in my car and doing the exercises quite helpful to nail down some basics which I had been able to gloss over while studying Assimil and other things. Having said that, I haven't finished the course, and I won't do until French moves back to my top priority after the summer.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version