solaren
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 32
22 March 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Greetings! I've been ghosting on the forums for a few months now, and decided that
it's finally time that I start a language learning log for my Japanese efforts.

About Me:
I'm a 32 year old monolingual from California. Apart from a single semester of
Japanese 1 in college about 10 years ago, I have not had any experience with the
language. My goal is to reach fluency through self study. Specifically, I want to
watch movies and shows without subtitles, and do so without trouble understanding or
following the plot and characters. I would also like to converse comfortably with
native Japanese speakers here in my hometown.

Current Level:
I have been studying for 4 months so far, every day for about an hour a day.
Currently, I can eat at local Japanese restaurants without using English. I can also
make very basic smalltalk with Japanese people about daily life as long as the other
person speaks clearly and with basic words and sentence structure. If I had to
estimate my current abilities, it would be N5 level.

What I've done so far:
I spent the first couple of months trying to figure out the best way to self-study. I
looked at the sentence methods using Anki, like AJATT and JALUP. I went through my old
college textbook, I did Pimsleur 1 from a local library, I purchased and completed the
basic Michel Thomas course, I purchased Assimil and have completed up to lesson 30,
and I also purchased the audio book set from JapanesePod101.

I've also read up a lot on this forum concerning methods, courses, etc. So, after some
trial and error in trying to figure out what works for me and what doesn't I've come
to a few simple conclusions.

*The sentence method is way too boring for me to stick with. This goes for Anki in
general. It's just not enjoyable for me. (EDIT: Months in I've decided it may not be
the most enjoyable method, but it's very efficient and has become an integral part of
my study method. I'm using it to review everything I'm learning.)

*Textbooks are informative but the information doesn't stick very well. I have Genki,
Colloquial, and Tae Kim's guide, and both basic and advanced Human Japanese which I
honestly regret purchasing.

*Assimil worked great, I felt like I made real progress but the dialogs, personally
speaking, were slow and boring. It started to feel like a chore, but I felt that the
method worked well.

My Current Study Plan:
Okay, so here's what I'm doing every day right now to progress in Japanese. So far
it's working for me, it's maintaining my interest and I feel real results.

Each Morning Before Work:
45 Minutes of Japanese Pod 101 lessons, in a passive phase. This is basically Assimil
method using Jpod content. The PDF's for Jpod are great, they have Romaji, Kana,
Kanji, and English transcripts for each conversation. Plus some example sentences and
grammar points. I edit out everything but the dialog using Audacity, and treat it just
like I did with Assimil. The nice thing about Jpod is the conversations are at natural
speed, and more entertaining than what I did with Assimil.

On my Lunch Break:
30 minutes of Project LRNJ to work on Kanji recognition. It's basically a game that
uses the RTK method to drill Kanji. Probably the same as 30 minutes of RTK flashcards,
but I find it more fun. So far I'm up to 250 Kanji after about a week or two of this.
It has yet to feel like a chore. Pretty fun actually.

Before Bed:
15 minutes of passive dialog review, I basically play through most of my recent
dialogs that I've worked on through Jpod, using my edited dialogs back to back. I then
do about 30 minutes of Active phase work on previously completed Jpod lessons, by
translating from L1 into L2 and checking for mistakes.

In the Car:
I listen to previously completed dialogs from Assimil and Jpod.

So far this seems to be my preferred method, and so far so good on the results end. I
actually had a moment earlier this week where I forgot I was listening to Japanese for
a bit. It just felt like I was listening to a regular conversation. :)

I'll make sure to keep this log updated. Being able to share my progress is very
motivating for me. If I am able to hit my goal and gain proficiency in Japanese as my
first secondary language, being in my 30's with a full time job... then I really think
that anybody can succeed at it.

cheers!

Edited by solaren on 28 October 2015 at 9:11pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

solaren
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes

Message 2 of 32
22 March 2015 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
If anyone feels like participating in this thread, please feel free to do so. Whether
you'd like to offer advice, or ask questions; I'm looking forward to speaking with other
language learners and discussing Japanese, and the language learning process.

Edited by solaren on 22 March 2015 at 11:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Rotasu
United States
Joined 3355 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 32
23 March 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
solaren wrote:

45 Minutes of Japanese Pod 101 lessons, in a passive phase. This is basically Assimil
method using Jpod content. The PDF's for Jpod are great, they have Romaji, Kana,
Kanji, and English transcripts for each conversation. Plus some example sentences and
grammar points. I edit out everything but the dialog using Audacity, and treat it just
like I did with Assimil. The nice thing about Jpod is the conversations are at natural

Why not just download only the dialog file, instead of having to edit each lesson?

solaren
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes

Message 4 of 32
23 March 2015 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Rotasu wrote:
solaren wrote:

Why not just download only the dialog file, instead of having to edit each lesson?

That's a good question. The reason is actually because I'm not a Jpod101 subscriber. I purchased the lessons separately through Innovative Language as an audio book set. In this format, they don't include individual dialogs. Just the lessons, with PDF, and a review track. The review track is dialog only, but it's one giant file instead of many separate files.

So, in order to listen to the same dialog on loop, I have to break out the dialog into individual files using audacity. It actually takes about 30 seconds to do, so it's not really a problem.

basica
Australia
Joined 3330 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 5 of 32
23 March 2015 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Japanese, like you I studied it many years ago now when I was in college but have pretty
much not used it this whole time except for a short trip to Japan a few years ago where I was surprisingly still
able to read hiragana and katakana and a little kanji. Japanese is somewhere on my list of languages to learn
eventually, I definitely sorta miss the initial drive I had which was mostly powered through my love of anime at
the time.

Once again, best of luck and I'll keep an eye out here to see you progress!

solaren
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes

Message 6 of 32
23 March 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the support basica! It's really awesome that you retained so much after college. I wasn't that lucky, I had to relearn everything over again. However, it did come back more quickly so maybe it was still there in my head all along.

As a side note... Even though there are many challenging aspects of Japanese as a second language, one thing that is really great is the amount of learning material out there. There is a huge variety of materials to choose from. So I've been pretty fortunate to be able to bounce around and find out what works for me and what doesn't during these early months of study.

solaren
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes

Message 7 of 32
23 March 2015 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
For this log entry I'd like to talk a little bit about a program I've been getting a
lot of use from lately:

Project LRNJ
So, I frequently see a lot of beginning Japanese learners ask questions on how to best
learn Hiragana and Katakana. I see a lot of people recommend the Heisig book
"Remembering the Kana", but I think that there are quicker, free options to learning
Kana. One of these is Project LRNJ, but really quick I'll go over what seem to me to
be the most common ways of learning kana and I'll talk about what I prefer and why.

The Textbook Approach
This is how I originally learned Kana in college. Basically you learn the kana by
learning to write them properly. A lot of students supplement this method by making
kana flashcards. I consider this to be the most thorough approach because you come out
of it knowing how to read and write. In order to really write kana well though, you
need a teacher or tutor to correct your mistakes. There are a lot of small subtleties
to writing kana that are very easy to miss.

The Pure Flashcard Approach
This is the most straightforward method. You blitz through flashcards until you have
it down. If you are doing this for an hour or two a day, I think you can learn to
recognize both syllabaries within a week. It's really not too difficult. You have lots
of options for this method and a simple google search is all it takes to find a number
of free sources for kana flashcards. I would consider this the fastest method of
learning to read, but you will not learn to write this way. Properly writing kana
takes practice and someone to correct your mistakes.

Remember the Kana
I haven't personally tried Heisig's book on kana, but I have worked with his Kanji
book. If you really love mnemonics you will probably enjoy it, however... I personally
think that Mnemonics for kana is probably unnecessary. Again, I haven't tried this
method but I would be surprised if it is faster than just drilling flashcards. I could
be wrong though! So if someone has tried this approach and had incredible results,
like they learned katakana and hiragana within a few hours... please speak up :)

Ok say, the whole point of this post was Project LRNJ right? I haven't even talked
about it yet...

https://lrnj.com/

The free version covers Hiragana and Katakana. It combines flashcards and Heisig into
a RPG style game. I haven't played the adventure mode, but the endless forest
"storyless" modes are probably just as fast if not faster than any other method for
quickly learning kana.

Ultimately, kana is not as bad as it looks. It really isn't... no matter what method
you choose :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3369 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Irish, French

Message 8 of 32
23 March 2015 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the post on learning Kana. I studied a couple years of Japanese in college, and
eventually want to bring that back, though right now I'm focusing on Irish, which is plenty
to get my head around. But I've been thinking that just re-learning my kana might not
really interfere with my Irish, any more than learning the IPA symbols, which I've been
learning as they come up.

Anyway, Project LRNJ looks like it might be right up my alley, as I've been a sucker for
"edutainment" software since forever (lose hours playing with my laptop while feeling
productive at the same time!! yay!!). I've downloaded the Linux version, but I'm not sure
where to unpack it. You don't happen to be a Linux person, do you? I'm OK with the command
line, but it's unclear where things belong on this new-to-me Linux/Ubuntu/Unity machine. It
seems like every *nix system I've used wants to arrange things somewhat differently (my
previous laptop was a Mac).

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version