Diglot
United States
Joined 3312 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 1 of 12
25 March 2015 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! I'm Leah, and I'm a high school student from the United States.

I've been studying French for the past 3 years both at school and on my own. I didn't
have any particular reason for picking French, but I'm so glad I did. French class was
the thing that first got me interested in languages. :)

This past school year, I ended up testing out of my French III class because I got
tired of how boring and slow it was. No one else in my class really wanted to learn or
speak French (they just saw it as an easy grade), and the only thing we had done for
months was review. Anyway, I passed the final exam with a 92%, and I'm currently
taking French IV online through my school's virtual academy. It's not quite what I
expected, but so far it's alright -- honestly, I'm just happy to be challenged again!
Outside of school, I read books in French and occasionally write journal entries to
help me practice. Last year I got to go to French immersion camp for 2 weeks, and that
was absolutely amazing. I'm going back again this summer, and I'm even going on a trip
to Quebec in June! This year is going to be wonderful in terms of progress. :)

I'm also currently learning Norwegian with my parents, as some of my ancestors came
from Norway and since all three of us are interested in Scandinavia in general. We're
hoping to plan a visit sometime in the next few years, which should be interesting. :)

There are so so many other languages that I hope to learn someday. At the moment, I'm
most interested in Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, and German, but my list goes on
forever!

I really enjoy learning about different cultures, and I think that being about to
speak to other people and connect with them in their native language is a very special
thing. I believe that education and connection is essential in sustaining peace and
understanding throughout the world. It really brings people together, and honestly,
there's nothing better than being about to make someone smile by speaking their native
language. I know you've all probably heard of Nelson Mandela's quote: "If you talk to
a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to
him in his language, that goes to his heart." That's probably one of my favorite
quotes of all time, and I truly believe in what he said. I also really love the
science behind language learning; I think it's incredible how symbols or sounds that
once mean nothing to you can slowly turn into something you are able to understand.

Anyway, hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this website, and I can't wait to start
talking with all of you! None of my friends are at all interested in seriously
studying a foreign language, and that can be really frustrating at times. It will be
so nice to talk to other people who share the same passion!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
25 March 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard! Good luck with your studies. Have a look around the forum and you'll find tons of advice and resources. You can spend weeks here finding out new stuff.

:)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kc2012
Diglot
Groupie
South Africa
Joined 4253 days ago

44 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Dutch, Mandarin, Russian

Message 3 of 12
26 March 2015 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
I'm glad you found this site too. Hopefully it can give you as much insight and
motivation as it has given me.

Good luck :)

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3355 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Irish, French

Message 4 of 12
26 March 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Welcome! Congratulations on your initiative on testing out of the class where you weren't
learning anything. School is so much more interesting when you're actually learning stuff,
particularly stuff you want to learn.

What is the online French course at your school's virtual academy like? I'm interested in
educational software, particularly what makes it interesting or frustrating to use. What would
you change about it if you could?

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4419 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 5 of 12
26 March 2015 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see people learning Norwegian, but of course there are almost as many Americans of Norwegian descent as there are Norwegians living in Norway. Do you take classes in Norwegian or just study it on your own? Anway, good luck with your language learning.

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4765 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 12
26 March 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard! There are lots of great posts on this website and lots of great people. I hope
you enjoy it here :)

asistrial
Diglot
United States
Joined 3312 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 7 of 12
26 March 2015 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
tangleweeds wrote:
Welcome! Congratulations on your initiative on testing out of the
class where you weren't
learning anything. School is so much more interesting when you're actually learning
stuff,
particularly stuff you want to learn.

What is the online French course at your school's virtual academy like? I'm interested
in
educational software, particularly what makes it interesting or frustrating to use.
What would
you change about it if you could?

Thank you! I completely agree. The online French course that I'm taking is though
Michigan Virtual School, and it's worked pretty well so far. It's mostly writing and
composition (writing essays and short paragraphs), and occasionally they'll throw in a
dictation or speaking exercise as well. It can be a little weird to navigate at times,
but it's nothing that I can't handle. The one thing that annoys me the most is the way
tests and exams are set up. For example, if I had previously written an essay in that
chapter, it will often ask me to rewrite it off the top of my head for the chapter
test. That can be annoying at times, considering I've already written the same thing
previously and turned it in for a grade. They'll also ask me to conjugate verbs that
oftentimes I haven't conjugated a certain way before. But other than that, it's an
okay class. My teacher is nice and always very helpful if I have any questions. It
does feel like a lot of the assignments are repetitive, and the topics can be a bit
boring at times, but I'm glad that it's making me write. I guess my only complaints
really have to do with how French class is taught at my school. I would much rather be
in a classroom setting and have a teacher in front of me while I'm learning (and other
students, for that matter), but it just wasn't working out. I just have to remember to
supplement my course with other resources on my own time to make up for that -- my
latest projects are Le Petit Prince and Harry Potter in French, as well as working on
more listening and speaking. It can be frustrating at times though, especially when I
want to speak French with other people but no one around me wants to speak French. I'm
hoping to fix that soon now that I've signed up for italki. I hope that answered your
questions! :)

If you're still curious about how the course works, I have a link to a tutorial video
that shows you how to navigate the site. I'm not sure if I can post links here, but
just let me know if you'd like to look at it!

asistrial
Diglot
United States
Joined 3312 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes

Message 8 of 12
26 March 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see people learning Norwegian, but of
course there are almost as many Americans of Norwegian descent as there are Norwegians
living in Norway. Do you take classes in Norwegian or just study it on your own? Anway,
good luck with your language learning.

No, unfortunately I'm not taking any Norwegian classes at the moment. I live in a small
town, so I'd be lucky to find a language class for anything other than Spanish. Right now
I'm teaching myself through Memrise, and hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some
textbooks and other materials soon!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version