Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 41
31 March 2015 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

We don't need an objective measurement system. We need a measurement system that is
adapted to the requirements invoked on it by real life situations, something which
a purely academic definition can never achieve. You know very well what I mean and
repeating yourself isn't going to make the matter clearer.

I love this. What is a "measurement system that is adapted to the requirements invoked by real life situations"?
But at the same time "We don't need an objective measurement system." I find this very confusing. What real life
situations does the CEFR not cover? Here is a short definition of the C1 proficiency level:

Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning.
Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational
patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.

This seems very broad to me and covers a lot of real-life situations. It is true that this definition does not
explicitly include the ability to write poetry in the language, but this level of proficiency is certainly very high. I
would think that it includes the ability to understand some poetic language.

To come back to the theme of the thread, the situation described is pretty simple and very common. Most people
who claim to speak Spanish are in the A1 range, if that, and, when confronted with native speakers, fall flat on
their faces. At a B level they start to get by and at a C level they are comfortable with native speakers. It's a
simple as that. It doesn't matter what people think they can do, it's what they can objectively do. That's what the
CEFR is all about.

Edited by s_allard on 31 March 2015 at 6:01pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 41
31 March 2015 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
It's very abstract, and in the exams they don't test your ability to write poetry ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3323 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 19 of 41
31 March 2015 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Is writing poetry really a real life situation that most people will deal with? I trow not. Do the points that CEFR
describe cover real life situations that most people encounter? Seems like it's at least in the right ballpark in
terms
of real life applicability.

Edited by basica on 31 March 2015 at 11:29pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 41
01 April 2015 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Oh please, do not troll yet another thread. This discussion has been here several
times already and always lead to the exactly same results with exactly the same people
being on either side of the barricade. Some people prefer cefr to be the best, while
others prefer their personal goals.

Cefr does have some limits despite being probably the best scale around. And the
definitions are not that objective. Even various examinators can take it a bit
differently what is "can describe briefly" etc. it is not a maths test where you
either get to the correct result or don't. The definitions are always somewhat vague,
there is no clear line between the levels.There is quite a wiggle room so, while cefr
is good at many things, it is still not an objective scale like anything in real
science.

I wonder how can anyone consider anything in humanities to be objective and clear.
Humanities, including languages, that is no science.

And majority of the people this thread is about do not use the cefr. And it is very
unlikely majority of the humankind will exchange their usual statement "I can speak
Spanish" with "I am B1 at Spanish". So, why bring the same topic to every thread? This
isn't a thread about why everyone should or shouldn't use cefr, it is about the
situation as it is and about natives' reactions to it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 21 of 41
01 April 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
I certainly don't want to get into another ad hominem shouting match over the CEFR. I do find it a bit curious that
somebody can on the one hand belittle the CEFR for all its defects and at the same time proudly display their recent
CEFR achievements. Achievements that are certainly meritorious, by the way. But that's the besides the point. The
real point here in this thread is that many people, in this case Americans, claim to "speak" a language "fluently". But
in reality, they can't have a fluent conversation with native speakers. Is this surprising to anybody here?

My only suggestion was to frame this observation in terms of levels of proficiency using a well-known scale. If some
people get their knickers in a knot over the use of the CEFR, then we can use something more general. We can say
that whereas many people (Americans) claim fluency in a foreign language, in reality they have only elementary
fluency and are unable to conversely fluently with native speakers. I can live with that.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4676 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 22 of 41
01 April 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The real point here in this thread is that many people, in this case
Americans, claim to "speak" a language "fluently". But in reality, they can't have a
fluent conversation with native speakers. Is this surprising to anybody here?

I think we've all done that. (Haven't we? OK, I have).   The gringo-Spanish thing I
see is something really different.

Most of us will quietly admit that maybe our TL isn't that good after all.   What I
see some Spanish students do is insist that they are speaking properly - and
that it's the native speaker's fault if they can't understand them!

And now that I think about it, I have experienced this with some Chinese men (always
men, and always bureaucrats), who get angry when people can't understand their
English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 23 of 41
01 April 2015 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
s_allard wrote:
The real point here in this thread is that many people, in this case
Americans, claim to "speak" a language "fluently". But in reality, they can't have a
fluent conversation with native speakers. Is this surprising to anybody here?

I think we've all done that. (Haven't we? OK, I have).   The gringo-Spanish thing I
see is something really different.

Most of us will quietly admit that maybe our TL isn't that good after all.   What I
see some Spanish students do is insist that they are speaking properly - and
that it's the native speaker's fault if they can't understand them!

And now that I think about it, I have experienced this with some Chinese men (always
men, and always bureaucrats), who get angry when people can't understand their
English.

This is interesting and intriguing because what we have here is speakers insisting that they are better than they
really are. This actually reminds of something that I have seen in my part of the world where learners of French
will say that they speak Parisian French and that speakers of Québécois French don't understand them.

But it does raise the question of why do people tend to overestimate their abilities in a foreign language. Few
people will claim to speak like a native, for sure, but many people do say that they speak language X. I see two
lines of explanation.

Firstly, there is wishful thinking and a tad of dishonesty. This happens a lot of resumés where people will put
down whatever they feel the job requires and hope they can wing it if called upon to demonstrate their language
skills.

We have a very famous case of this in the example of Kim Campbell, famous for being the first and only female
prime minister of Canada and the prime minister for the shortest period in history, six months in 1993. She was
touted as being fully bilingual but during the subsequent election campaign, it became apparent that her French
wasn't very good and she was severely trounced by the opponent, Jean Chrétien, whose command of both French
and English was also considered tenuous.

Secondly, I think people overestimate their language abilities because they are not aware of what it takes to really
speak a language. The problem is in the use of the word "speak". I don't want to get into trouble by bringing up
this issue of the CEFR scales, but let's just say that cobbling together a few phrases or just getting by is not the
same as speaking a language.

I personally think that if you want to interact easily with native speakers, as Ms Campbell found out to her
chagrin, during the televised debates, you have to speak really well or you might as well not bother. It's kind of
all or nothing. Mind you, there is lots you can do with just a little knowledge, but this is not the same thing as
exchanging conversation spontaneously with native speakers. For this you have to be very very good. That's the
problem. Many people delude themselves into thinking that the little they know is all they need.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4077 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 24 of 41
01 April 2015 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Does this have something to do with culture of that country instead? Is it that
Americans are seen as a bit more confident (or overconfident, rather) sometimes than
for example, Canadians or Britons in general? I have never seen this phenomenon happen
with people in the UK. It is usually the opposite--they say that they have studied
Spanish or German or French or whatever for 6 years, or to A-Level, but they say that
their skills are just rubbish, which seems to be underconfidence. I generally say that
my Spanish is "average at best" despite having studied it since 2003. In the rare case
that someone finds out, just to have extra security blanket; in other words, I let
them judge myself, not me.

But doing the opposite just seems ridiculous. It would be like someone who just passed
their driving licence by the minimum going to a F1 race and saying, "Yeah I know this
well. I can get first against any of these drivers".

To me that means several things. They must have an extremely high tolerance of being
embarassed on a mass-scale in public, think that they can cover up their
insufficiencies in the language, or are simply just complete idiots, or a combination
of all three.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 April 2015 at 11:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version