41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
basica
Australia
Joined 3317 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 25 of 41
02 April 2015 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
1e4e6, you might be onto something. I was reading an article awhile ago about foreigners
coming to Silicon Valley for IT start ups and how angel investors are getting use to
british culture - namely that while young american entrepreneurs are cocky, outgoing and
will promise you the world - the british entrepreneurs are reserved, don't oversell and
make are calculating. These traits make these investors think the british are not
confident in what they have to offer and don't have the drive needed to make a successful
company.

1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 26 of 41
02 April 2015 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
But that makes little sense that being overconfident and unrealistic is better; if you
say that you are C2 and are barely A1, you look like a complete fool in addition to being
a liar, rather than the reserved A1 who says that she or he is A1 from the start. Then it
is known what to expect.

basica
Australia
Joined 3317 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 27 of 41
02 April 2015 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
No disagreement from me *shrugs*.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 28 of 41
02 April 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Well, I can do both because 1. I don't feel achievements and claims of others that are
not cefr-tied to be any inferior to my exam 2.because I have first hand experience
with both the advantages and short comings of the exam. It has been an important and
motivational goal in my French learning but it is not the end and it doesn't mean I am
perfect at it in all the situations.

And the fact simply is that majority of people will keep using the non-cefr terms like
"I am fluent" no matter what. That is a fact one needs to count with, not complain
about the world not changing.

kanewai wrote:
What I see some Spanish students do is insist that they are speaking
properly - and that it's the native speaker's fault if they can't understand them!

Yes, that is a great observation. Now that I think of it, those people who had
underestimated their abilities often sounded angry with the natives.

sallard wrote:
But it does raise the question of why do people tend to overestimate
their abilities in a foreign language. Few people will claim to speak like a native,
for sure, but many people do say that they speak language X. I see two lines of
explanation.

Good question and good lines of explanations. However, I see a third one that I
believe applies to many.

The people have invested lots of time into learning in a wrong way. The schools (both
the usual chain from kindergarten to high school and the private language schools)
have been convincing their students that they were learning in a correct way and
therefore should end up speaking the language, especially if they kept having good
grades. So, it is just a little bit too dissappointing to admit the failure.

I don't think you need to be entirely awesome to already converse with the natives
quite freely (I think around B2 is totally sufficient, if we are to use the cefr for
more clarity. Even a B1 speaker with great social skills can converse with natives
without being a burden from what I've witnessed) but the normal schools usually don't
get you even there. The schools usually spend many years to officially get their
students to B1 (or is anywhere B2/C1 the standard?) or even not there. The coursebooks
or levels in a language school carry proud names like Advanced. Perhaps it is
partially the delusion in what it means to speak a language, as Sallard mentions, but
I'd say it is more the fact that people base their expectations on the years spent
learning rather than anything else.

1e4e6, I like your metaphore. I'd say it's more like this:
1.You spend years training to become a car racer
2.Everything seems to be correct, you buy a great looking car the shop assistant
claims to be a race car, your teachers are convincing you that you are working towards
the car racing and you are not a hopeless case, everyone around is working towards
becoming a car racer the same way you are
3.In the end, you get just the driver's licence, even though it might be on a fancier
paper so that it looks more important and your teachers claim that you are ready to
dive into racing (and either learn further on your own or kill yourself trying)
4.You are faced with the fact that you've just spent five or more years (and lots of
money) just on the driver's licence. That is a hard, huge and bitter pill to swallow.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4120 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 29 of 41
02 April 2015 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I was going to suggest that this kind of behaviour could be explained by the Dunning-
Kruger effect (where someone, limited by their restricted understanding of a field,
overestimates their knowledge and competence in said field), but the truth is, with a
few exceptions, I've only really seen (North-)Americans doing this. I would assume
that the cause might be more cultural.

Having gone through it myself, I've seen many, but not all, French-Immersion graduates
touting their "amazing" French skills, but in general, their understanding of French
is flawed and their production abilities are close to nil. I'd love to chalk this up
to the fact that these people don't understand the monumental size of language, but
I've also met people who appear to have a good passive knowledge of the language and
assume they can therefore speak fluently and correctly when this is clearly not the
case.

Interestingly enough, as far as I can remember, these people had usually never really
left their hometown/province, or when they had, they stayed in big resorts where
English was more than enough to get by.

I'm not really the best placed to come to any conclusions, but I wonder if the
geographical distance between many North-Americans and other large communities of
speakers of a different language could be a factor.

Of course, this wouldn't really explain the difference in attitude of the British that
basica described, but I'd be curious to see if any research has been done on the
subject.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 30 of 41
02 April 2015 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
But that makes little sense that being overconfident and unrealistic is
better; if you
say that you are C2 and are barely A1, you look like a complete fool in addition to
being
a liar, rather than the reserved A1 who says that she or he is A1 from the start. Then
it
is known what to expect.
э

And this is fairly problematic. There is a difference between vastly overselling your
skills and being confident. I am confident I can handle a fair amount of Chinese
(given that I do so every day) but that doesn't mean I say I speak perfect Chinese.
However if I say I don't speak much Chinese at all will lead people to undersell my
ability, meaning I will not improve because they will fear my level, and dumb down
their interactions unnecessarily (or in the worst case scenario speak English to me if
they can, although that only ever happens at work with some of the English teachers).

You need confidence to sell yourself in the business world. There is a fine line
between modesty (on which side I often err) and empty bluster, but we could all do
with a bit more fire and brimstone in Europe in this regard.

As for exam levels, Dutch central language exams are coupled to the CEFR. English for
tertiary education pathways is set at B2 minimum (and usually people reach C1 for
university). For more obscure languages like Russian or Chinese, the level is set more
at B1. I believe the ministry of education uses a table to determine the academic exam
levels.

In my experience it counts for nothing, because my brother passed the German exam by
scraping by and he certainly doesn't speak B1 or B2 German. It's just an academic
figure even if theoretically the two are linked. English is the only language in which
the correspondence can be perceived to be fairly accurate.

Edited by tarvos on 02 April 2015 at 4:09am

4 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 31 of 41
02 April 2015 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
I have seen many Americans try to use their limited Spanish, but I have very rarely seen anyone try to act like they are fluent. It's a pretty hard thing to fake, really. Doesn't take more than a sentence and a blank look and it's pretty clear there is no communication happening.

What I see a lot is someone who knows a few phrases and has a poor accent but is either unaware of how bad they sound, or is just wanting to say what they can. I'm sure there are rude people who arrogantly think they can pass themselves off as fluent, but I hardly think the US is the only place in the world where this happens :)

So there are definitely people who overestimate their abilities. But I see many more people who think their skills are terrible and cringe when they say anything, repeatedly apologizing for how bad their Spanish is.

I do find it irritating to listen to someone who makes zero effort to pronounce things correctly. Like Spanish words just pronounced with English sounds. Ugh!

I guess it's good that people are trying to learn Spanish, right? Better than making nasty remarks about "English only". I'm not sure if there is any passive learning that goes on, but tons of things are double signed in Spanish and English at the stores, the bank, government offices, etc and there are Spanish option voicemails at companies. You have to choose English or Spanish at the ATM before you can get any cash out. I hear Spanish spoken multiple times a day, including all the bus and streetcar instructions and stops. So it's around a lot. Maybe people are seeing the benefits of learning Spanish. If we have to tolerate a few boorish bar patrons, I guess we can live with that. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 32 of 41
02 April 2015 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Well it is true that things are double signed in Spanish, but in California, things are
signed not only in Spanish, but Mandarin and Cantonese, Vietnamese, and other languages
as well. But I have never seen anyone try to feign a high level in any of those other
languages to a native.

If an American can ring the USPS if they have a delayed parcel for example, and press the
button for the Spanish option to speak with a Spanish operator to find out what is going
on with their stuff, then that would be an example of proof that they are higher than A1.
But saying, "I speak Spanish" and then going to order food saying, "Um, like, un burrito
por favor?" and pronouncing "burrito" like Anglophone "burido" that is asking to look
foolish.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version