Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English, GermanB2
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 9
31 March 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,
as suggested by other users in my presentation post I'm opening my personal log.
Here I'll track my progresses in German and Modern Hebrew.

What's the situation right now?

German
Five years ago I was between B2 and C1 (TestDaF Stufe 4), but now, as I stopped practicing due to the beginning of the university, my language skills have worsened. Now I think I'm around B1.

Modern Hebrew
I began only ten days ago with the study of the alphabet, I'm a complete beginner :)

My goals (within December 2015?):

German
I would like to reach again my previous skills, that's B2/C1. I think that with some practice it would be not so difficult, or better, I hope that!

Modern Hebrew
This goal will be more difficult I think, but within 9 months I hope to achieve an A2 level, do you think it's possibile? Now I'm studying with an 'interactive ulpan' and some cards on anki, provided by teachmehebrew.com.

At the beginning I've planned 45 min/day of study for each language.

(I watched other user's log, I hope mine is ok)

Edited by eugen on 31 March 2015 at 5:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 2 of 9
01 April 2015 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I've done some exercises, that's what I've done:

German
I've seen the first two episodes of a German tv series, "Türkisch für Anfänger": they spoke quick, but I understood more than I thought. I hope that, with time, I could increase my comprehension of the dialogs.
I then created an account on duolingo to revise my grammar, and made 400xp.
I learned German 1 1/2 hour.

Deutsche Übersetzung:
Gestern habe ich die erste zwei Folgen von eine deutsche Fernsehserie, "Türkisch für Anfänger", gesehen: sie sprachen schnell, aber ich habe verstanden, mehr als ich dachte. Ich hoffe das, mit etwas Zeit, kann ich meine Verständnis des Dialoges verbessern.
Dann habe ich mich auf Duolingo registriert, um meine Grammatik überzuarbeiten. Ich habe 400xp gemacht.
Ich habe Deutsch 1 1/2 Stunde gelernt.

Modern Hebrew
I studied 45 minutes, I've heard another audio lesson with the ulpan method (but I don't like it very much) and read a couple of pages of the text book "Elef Milim". I learned a bunch of new words, but I still have to find a method of study...
I'm not able to translate this text into hebrew yet, so I'm sorry, but שלןם!

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 3 of 9
02 April 2015 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm here to update my progresses log of 01/02 of April.

German
In these two days I've studied 4 hours. I've done many exercise on duolingo (230+280xp) even if I find it a little boring: sentences are very short, simple and sometimes without sense (eg. 'a horse is driving a car' :D) even if grammatically correct. Maybe it's my level too high for duolingo?
I tried also with 'Immersion mode' of duolingo, where I must translate from German to English: it is better, but I think I'll begin to read some novels soon, instead of remaining on duolingo.
I also watched 3 episodes of "Türkisch für Anfänger", I find it quite funny and maybe I'm beginning to understand a little more.

Deutsche Übersetzung:
In diese zwei Tage habe ich 4 Stunden Deutsch gelernt. Ich habe viele Übungen on duolingo gemacht (230+280xp), obwohl ich es ein bisschen langweilig finde: Satzen sind kurz, einfach und manchmal sinnlos (i.e. 'ein Pferd fährt ein Auto' :D), obwohl grammatisch korrekt. Ist vielleicht meine Stufe zu hoch für duolingo?
Ich habe auch 'Immersion mode' of duolingo getrieben, in den muss ich von Deutsch auf Englisch uebersetzen: es ist besser, aber ich denke, dass ich schon bald Kurzgeschichten lesen beginne, anstatt Uebungen on duolingo machen.
Ich habe auch 3 Folgen von "Türkisch für Anfänger" gegueckt, ich finde es ziemlich lustig und vielleicht ich habe begonne, etwas mehr zu verstehen.

Modern Hebrew
In these two days I failed my goal of studying Modern Hebrew 45 minutes per day. I cannot find a good book/method to learn this language and, after having learned the alphabet well, I have a lack of motivation due to the confusionary study method. But I will get it! In this two days I studied 20+20 minutes, now I can the alphabet, the greetings and a couple of verbs, even if I cannot invent any sentence by myself.
Today I've seen FSI course of Modern Hebrew, maybe it's the right one for me. Anyone has suggestions?

English
As suggested by Via Diva, I begin logging English. At the moment I'm not doing exercise on grammatic, but I'm learning English 'indirectly', if I could say so: I'm writing at my best on this forum, I'm translating from German to English on duolingo and reading scientifical articles at the university for my thesis. Soon I think that I'll begin to read something other, for example books or comics, and I'll try to write down something everyday to improve my writing skills.

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 4 of 9
04 April 2015 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
German
Yesterday and today I studied German a lot. Yesterday I've done many hours of listening and speaking, because I met my German relatives. Today I finished the first season of "Türkisch für Anfänger" (I watched five episodes in two days :S) and made some exercises on duolingo (120+200xp between yesterday and today). But today I made a new thing: I created a new anki deck with all the new German words I've found, so I hope I'll increase my vocabulary if I do it regularly.
A consideration: I thought that, after 5 years of 'silence', my speaking would have been worse, on the contrary I was surprised that I could speak pretty good, even if with a curios grammar :P

Deutsche Übersetzung:
Gestern und heute habe ich viel Deutsch gelernt. Gestern habe ich viele Stunden 'Hoeren' und 'Sprechen' trainiert, weil ich meine deutsche Verwandten getroffen habe.
Heute habe ich die erste Staffel von "Türkisch für Anfänger" beendet (ich habe 5 Folgen in zwei Tagen geguckt) und habe manche Uebungen on duolingo (120+200xp zwischen gestern und heute) gemacht.
Heute habe ich eine neue Dinge gemacht: ich habe eine neue Sammlung auf Anki gemacht, mit alle die neue deutsche Woerter ich gefunden habe. Ich hoffe dass, wenn ich oft es mache, ich werde mehr und mehr Vokabeln lehren.
Eine Betrachtung: ich dachte dass, nach fuenf Jahre von 'Ruhigkeit', ich wurde es schlechter gesprochen gehabt, dagegen ich war erstaunt, weil ich habe gesprochen, besser als ich dachte (obwohl ich manchmal mit ein seltsamer Grammatik sprach).

Modern Hebrew
Yesterday I didn't study modern hebrew, but today I learned it 1.5 hours. My goal was to do 45 minutes per day, so, even if it's not the same thing, I can say I achieved my goal for these two days. I moved to FSI Hebrew Course, I find it more useful than the 'online ulpans' that you can find on the net: you have many dialogs, but you have some grammar too (I am schematic, so I need grammatic, not too much but I need it). I finished the first lesson, now I'm curios to do the second one.

English
Well, the only thing that I've done is to write my log here (and a little speaking yesterday evening), but I swear that I'll do something more in the upcoming days!

Edit: one news! I signed on lang-8, I'm Eugen!

Edited by eugen on 04 April 2015 at 5:58pm

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 5 of 9
06 April 2015 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
German
In these two days I've done many exercises. I've done 120+60xp on duolingo (even though I find it boring, I find it useful to expand my vocabulary), then I watched 6 episodes of "Türkisch für Anfänger" (I finished the first season and began the second one, I find it really funny). I must thank iguanamon, I signed up on lang-8 and it's truly awesome! I'm writing a lot, and that's good ;)
I continued the work of inserting any unknown word that I find into anki, I hope it's a good way for learning a language and expanding my vocabulary.Total time spent learning in 2 days: 7 hours.

Modern Hebrew
Yesterday I learnt Hebrew 45 minutes, today only 25. I wrote a couple of (very) easy sentences on lang-8, and I think I can say, that I wrote them quite good. Slowly it goes better, but I have not found the right method for studying yet. But I'm sure that the FSI course will be the right way to manage Hebrew, together with lang-8.

English
I used a lot this language in these days, because the FSI course is written in English, on duolingo I must translate in English and so on. I noticed that I'm making some confusion with the syntax of sentences, because I'm writing them down with the verb at the end (too much German in these days!), I have to be more concentrated.

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 6 of 9
09 April 2015 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
German
Slowly, but I keep going on. In a week I learned, uhm, I think 100 new words, and that's a good result. I watched 28 episodes of "Türkisch für Anfänger" (that helps a lot my hearing skills) and written a couple of things on lang-8, where I found an austrian boy I'm writing to. I think that lang-8 is a really good resource, while I'm finding duolingo always more boring.

Modern Hebrew
"I cannot make it" was the title of a song of Sly & The Family Stone, do you remember? Well, I'm changing it to I CAN MAKE IT!!!!!!. I was a little sad in these days, because I thought that maybe Hebrew was too difficult for me, but... today I listened to "Kristallnacht", an album of John Zorn, and I noticed that the booklet was written in Hebrew. I looked at it and... I could recognise some words, like אנחנו‚ וגם‚ הוא. Well, that's a good thing, it means that, even though slowly, I'm making progresses!
Two weeks ago I couldn't read the alphabet, and now I can recognise some (simple) words! I'm really happy :-)
What I learned:
to be
to have
some pronouns (nominative and accusative)

English
Well, I don't really have done nothing...

Edited by eugen on 09 April 2015 at 6:36pm

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 7 of 9
14 April 2015 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Deutsch
Ich habe mit "Türkisch für Anfänger" fortgefahren, jetzt bin ich fast an die Ende der zweiter Staffel. Ich habe auch etwas auf lang-8 geschrieben, dann habe ich jeden Tag an einem jungen Österreicher geschrieben. Ich denke, dass langsam meine Hör- und Leseverständnis wieder verbessert.
Dann habe ich "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" begonnen, jetzt habe ich schon ein Viertel des Buches gelesen, ich dachte, dass ich es mehr schwierig gefunden hätte.
Manche neue Wörter, die ich finde, schreibe ich auf Anki.

Modern Hebrew
In these days I'm really busy with the university, so I haven't much time for learning Hebrew... I learned possessive pronouns and began with the pa'al verbs, I read simple texts and listened to Roni Dalumi's songs (well, if I must be sincere, I don't like her music very much, but I found out that I can distinguish and understand some words, so I let her be my musical background during the day. I hope it will function like a sort of "passive learning").

English
I read a lot of articles in these days for my thesis, and I also watched a new Top Gear episode from the new season!

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3331 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 8 of 9
29 April 2015 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
I know I haven't updated this log for a couple of weeks, but I was really busy with my bachelor thesis, but now I'm a doctor :P

Deutsch
Ich bin fertig mit der dritte Staffel von "Türkisch für Anfänger" (und fertig mit der ganze Serie), es hat mir wirklich geholfen, obwohl in die letzen Folgen sie sprachen sehr schmutzig, mit einem starken türkischen Akzent. Jetzt muss ich an eine andere Fernsehserie suchen, ich dachte an "Tim und Struppi" aber, wenn jemand etwas raten möchtet, ich bin hier :)
Dann ich habe es geschafft, zehn Wörter pro Tag zu lernen (danke, Anki!).
Jetzt habe ich schon halbes Buch von "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" gelesen, ich hoffe, ich kann mit dem in zwei Wochen fertig sein.

Modern Hebrew
I reached a sort of sill in the learning of modern hebrew because I have not found a good book yet. Nor a good method of study (I think that the two things are related).
I wrote some simple sentences on lang-8, I spoke (or, better wrote) with a guy on lang-8, listened to a mountain of Hebrew music (and I noticed I can understand some simple words, for example of the soundtrack of "The Lion King" or other Disney movies), but I'm discouraged... Someone knows where to find grammatic exercises on the Internet? I'm bored with the ulpan method, I need something more traditional!

English
I'm watching the new Top Gear episodes, and in these days I wrote a couple of formal letters for an admission form to an university (It passed a long time from the last time I wrote a letter in English).

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version