37 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 37
14 April 2015 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
I dunno, I was just fine learning French and Romanian in turn before I tackled the others
- but now it seems all the other big Romance languages hover around B1 somewhere being
semi-useful. Which seems pretty good to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 37
14 April 2015 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Is your passive level closer to B2 though?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 37
15 April 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Is your passive level closer to B2 though?

I can read pretty much everything on Wikipedia written in Romance languages, but
sometimes little words throw me off. But that's no wonder if you've studied pretty much
the entire family and spoken all of the languages reasonably frequently except perhaps
for Spanish (I did one hour of tutoring for Spanish). To speak of one is to speak of all
the others for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3806 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 20 of 37
15 April 2015 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Is it the same with listening?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 21 of 37
15 April 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
No. But I do much less of that. Portuguese listening is meh. Italian seems to be okay
judging from my convos (few problems communicating with my teacher at a normal tempo). I
think Spanish is also okay. But given some practice with any of these three I could get
up to speed fairly fast; but then I'd have to focus on one of them (like I am doing for
Italian).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 37
15 April 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, you don't have to focus on one at a time to get to B2 in listening ;)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 23 of 37
15 April 2015 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
@Luso, yeah it was clear that you don't advocate focusing on one language per decade (especially as you also learn non-Romance languages). Did you always want to learn all three?

Actually, no. Up to a point, it all happened by chance: French being mandatory at school, high exposure to Spanish... only Italian was a premeditated choice.

I only started learning languages as a hobby recently, due to a conjugation of factors:
1. I like the classroom setting.
2. At the time it was a good change of pace from work.
3. The languages I wanted were available and affordable.
4. Last but not least, I enjoy it.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3851 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 24 of 37
15 April 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Stelingo DOES advise to learn Portuguese, while most of you advise against. If my goal,
in the near future, is just to be able to have a basic conversation, and the other things
needing B1, can I then thus just work a bit on all at the same time, but taking my time,
and letting the language sink in?
For now I'm having kind of a burn-out, and only use English and Dutch as foreign
languages, because of my studies (but I don't mind using strong foreign language. As far
as Spanish and Italian are concerned, I haven't used them for a big week, and don't know
when I will find the motivation again to dive into them. Still, when my motivation comes
back, I'll want to know what to do with the roman languages ^^

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version