37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 37
16 April 2015 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I also advise you to go for it :) Although it also seems like you need to explore more methods and avoid overloading yourself to prevent more burnout. Try lyricstraining for example, ideally even now. Don't wait for inspiration. What matters most in language learning is not what you do when you feel like studying, but what you do when you don't feel like it.

There's often a honeymoon period in the beginning. Everything is easy and cute and shiny (even in Mandarin). But this is a transient phase. There's still a methodological issue that needs to be addressed, perhaps quite minor.

Basically, learn Portuguese because you want to learn Portuguese, not because you're tired of other Romance languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 37
16 April 2015 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, you don't have to focus on one at a time to get to B2 in listening
;)

You don't have to, but it is more time-effective.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5841 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 27 of 37
16 April 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
Stelingo DOES advise to learn Portuguese, while most of you advise against. If my goal, in the near future, is just to be able to have a basic conversation, and the other things needing B1, can I then thus just work a bit on all at the same time, but taking my time, and letting the language sink in?
For now I'm having kind of a burn-out, and only use English and Dutch as foreign languages, because of my studies (but I don't mind using strong foreign language. As far as Spanish and Italian are concerned, I haven't used them for a big week, and don't know when I will find the motivation again to dive into them. Still, when my motivation comes back, I'll want to know what to do with the roman languages ^^

This is quite interesting, because it allows me to address an important point: I also have moments when I think I can add a few more languages to my list, and others when I wonder whether I'll ever achieve a modicum of proficiency in the ones I started in recent years. Like you, I've had moments of enthusiasm and burnout. The extremes tend to pass. There are people here capable of adding a language per year. I'm not one of them. From the tone of your posts, I guess you aren't one either (I could be wrong, of course).

I'm not advocating that you shouldn't learn Portuguese, quite on the contrary. I'm just saying maybe you shouldn't learn it straight away. It's not like it's impairing your life not knowing it yet, right?

Edited by Luso on 16 April 2015 at 12:02pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 37
16 April 2015 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Well, you don't have to focus on one at a time to get to B2 in listening ;)

For me it isn't so I disagree that it's objectively more effective. But we're derailing the thread already...

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3872 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 29 of 37
16 April 2015 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I will rephrase my initial question: If my goal is to be able to handle a simple
conversation in Portuguese (+-A2), while at the same time I increase both Italian and
Spanish, with the goal of attaining B2 in each, without any specific time to achieve
these levels (and while I would also want to learn Esperanto to B1), which strategies
should I adopt?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 37
17 April 2015 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
A2 is a slippery level. you either progress to B1 or you lose it. Hence my suggestion to focus on the comprehension at first and speak Spanish with Brazilians for the time being. Otherwise A2 conversations will get boring soon.

I also recommend using the 20 hour technique to solve specific problems. Your first one will be pronunciation/spelling, of course. After that you'll either need to make your own plans or give us more info :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 31 of 37
19 April 2015 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Well, you don't have to focus on one at
a time to get to B2 in listening ;)

For me it isn't so I
disagree that it's objectively more effective. But we're derailing the thread already...

Ah for you and me the problem is the balancing act, but if you have time, you can focus
and get into a flow using a sprint - this'll give better results. You and I simply don't
have the motivation to do that because if we focus on simply Portuguese we are neglecting
10 other languages we also want to learn.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 32 of 37
19 April 2015 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Some on HTLAL are so good at plate spinning they make this guy look like an amateur. I guess it just takes practice. ;) I wish I could do it.

Edited by iguanamon on 19 April 2015 at 4:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version