Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 32
19 April 2015 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
It wasn't a stellar week, but I think I am learning how to fit Spanish into my schedule. First of all, I wasn't expecting to rack up the hours in Platiquemos/FSI. The program turns on automatically when I start my car, so even quick trips to the store are Spanish-filled. I'm surprised that I drive so much every day! I guess that's the bright side of living in the concrete, pedestrian-hostile jungle that I do. I've been listening to each unit 3 times. James29, I think I saw you suggest this somewhere on the boards? This has been very helpful. Usually after the third time, I feel very comfortable moving on. I'm on Unit 12 now and that darn Juanita is just taking too much time getting ready for the party at the Harris's house.

My worries that conversation with my Spanish tutor would be too easy have been relieved. Talk about being careful what you wish for! Ha! After this week, I almost feel like it was a joke that I worried to begin with. That man knows how to squeeze my brain in the best of ways. A friend of mine in college used to say that speaking Spanish felt like giving birth to a porcupine. That phrase came to mind many times during our two sessions.

Caso Cerrado is just so much fun! The wild accusations and bizarre story lines make it my go-to show to watch. Telenovelas seem tame now by comparison. I think others have mentioned that a similar show in English just wouldn't seem that interesting. I completely agree. It's been years and years since I've watched a Jerry Springer type show, but I love Caso Cerrado and look forward to seeing what La Doctora will be facing in each episode.

For some reason, I haven't incorporated Anki into my day. After all the time I spent entering cards, this is a crying shame. I need to change my deck preferences to start whenever I want. I might even get fancy and start using filtered decks? I haven't stopped using Duolingo, though. I can't say that it's super helpful at this point, but the creators sure know how to keep me motivated. I just don't have it in to break my 40+ day streak. It is easy to fit into my day, so I'll keep going with it for now.

My Week       

7 hours of Platiquemos/FSI
2 hours of italki tutor
3 hours of Caso Cerrado
2 hours of Duolingo

I can't remember where I saw this here on HTLAL, but someone had an "hours of Spanish target" and counted down every week. I loved the idea and decided to borrow it. I wish I could remember who it was so I could thank him or her. I'm setting my goal at 250 hours. We'll see where I am at the end of it.

250 goal: 14 hours down, 236 to go

Goals for next week
I want to include more diverse types of learning next week, so in addition to FSI, my tutor and Caso Cerrado, I'll include:
1 hour of reading
1 hour with my Practice Makes Perfect books.
1 hour of Anki

Edited by Clarity on 19 April 2015 at 6:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 32
19 April 2015 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Nice log and progress, Clarity. I've been enjoying reading it and I'm looking forward to
more. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3940 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 32
20 April 2015 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Gotta love la Doctora! Haha!

Thanks for the update...very motivating to see how well things are going!

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 

Message 12 of 32
23 April 2015 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks Cavesa and Stelle! I really appreciate the encouragement.

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4405 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 13 of 32
23 April 2015 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your progress so far. I am in FSI Programmatic Spanish instead of Basic but I'm looking forward to it. Nice routine overall.

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 

Message 14 of 32
28 April 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! It was a busy week last week, but I managed to squeeze in some time with Spanish. First, my report from FSI.

What did we learn this week from FSI?

1. If you don't want to arrive to the party late, don't invite Juanita. We learned that the water supply in Juanita's apartment is sketchy. Thank goodness it came back on just in time! (Was anyone else concerned?)

2. Juanita likes to announce that "The Tall One" isn't good-looking, but she likes him just the same. That Juanita! She sure likes to call it likes she sees it. I wonder if The Tall One knows he's unattractive?

3. It's important that you, as a learner, memorize the word for "drinks" quickly. The embassy folk like to drink up and might even mix up their glasses.

4. The Consul's daughter sure knows how to cut a rug. Apparently, she dances with such enthusiasm that she counteracts the locals' stereotypes of Americans. In my mind, she looks something like this.

I just started Unit 14, so we'll see what happens when Molina introduces his fiance to the Consul! Let's hope hijinks ensue!

Spanish TV
Thanks to Cavesa and Stelle, I watched a few episodes of Isabel and Angel o Demonio. They are both excellent! Angel o Demonio reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And I had a few hearty chuckles over the fact that the lead Demon is an adorable little girl in a pinafore. Here she is leading her merry band of evil doers on a stroll around town. She's looking particularly formidable in her dark glasses.

Tutoring
Last week we focused on the subjunctive. I like my tutors good mix of activities and free flow. I definitely have to work hard during our sessions.

All the Other Stuff
This week I'm better about going through my Anki Deck regularly. I'm still on my Duolingo streak. I just bought my Owl a Golden Tracksuit with my lingots, so I doubt I'll be giving it up any time soon.

This Week's Numbers
6 hours, 20 minutes on Spanish TV
5 hours, FSI
2 hours, 20 minutes on my Anki Deck
2 hours italki tutor
1 hour 45 minutes Duolingo
20 minutes reading a children's book
Grand Total: 17 hours, 45 minutes

250 goal
31 hours 45 minutes down, 218 hours 15 minutes to go

Edited by Clarity on 28 April 2015 at 11:03pm

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 

Message 15 of 32
03 May 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
This week had some unexpected stressors, which made language learning a bit more difficult for me. I know others on HTLAL are under much more intense pressure than I am and I wonder how they are able to concentrate. It felt like a lot of my Spanish lessons went in one ear and then out the other.

What did we learn this week on FSI?
Not much because I only got through Unit 14. We know the Consul's mother-in-law is coming to live with his family and she gets seasick.

All the other stuff
FSI/Platiquemos - 3 hours
Italki tutor - 2 hours
Duolingo - 2 hours
Anki - 45 minutes
Grand Total: 7 hours and 45 minutes

250 hour goal   
39 hours and 30 minutes down, 210 hours and 30 minutes to go

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 32
03 May 2015 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Who would have thought the FSI was such a drama :-D

The tv series are good. Funnily, the same girl-actress is in both. I am a bit afraid for
her well being and future metal health as I am unsure whether it is psychologically
correct to let her play such negative characters all the time.

Your owl is lucky to have you. Mine is left forgotten for a while.

And no worries, some weeks just tend to be better and some worse. The next one is gonna
be better, I'm sure :-)

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version