NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 10
07 April 2015 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
ABOUT ME:
I moved to the Philippines last year. I now live in Manila with my family. My husband is
Filipino and is fluent in both English and Tagalog. His family moved to the US when he was
in high school. Now he is living again in the Philippines where he grew up. I have three
young boys (baby to PreSchooler).

TAGALOG IN MANILA:
English and Tagalog are the official languages of the Philippines.  English is widely spoken
and understood.  English is the language of education. Even at my boys' preschool (age 3-5)
the language is strictly English, no Tagalog aloud and even the kids at that age understand
and speak English without any problems. In order to find a place in the Philippines that
does not understand English you would have to go outside Manila in a province or go to a poor
lower class neighborhood. I have come to notice that even if someone does not understand or
speak English they will still not engage me in Tagalog because it reflects on them and their
education. Also the Filipino people are very kind and warm and loving and "happy to serve"
(as one of the biggest retail store's motto claims) so there is never pressure for me to feel
like I have to learn Tagaog in order to get by or survive here.

MY DESIRE - WHY?
I have often struggled with "why bother" because of how much English is spoken. I told my
husband that if feels like learning Tagalog is like having a spare tire in your car or having
a well stocked first aide kit. Will you really use that tire? Maybe one day in the right
circumstance. But it is wise and helpful in certain circumstances. That is what is feels
like for Tagalog sometimes. Which istnt very motivating.

But I have noticed that Tagalog is preferred among the locals here in Manila. They feel most
comfortable with it and will always speak to each other in Tagalog. They will always switch
to English for me when I am in the room or in hearing distance. Which is thoughtful. But I
know it is not preferred and hard for them. They have a phrase "is my nose bleeding?" when
they speak English. ha ha.... it means that it is a struggle to speak in English because it
uses so much brain power it causes a nose bleed. The longer I live here the most I hear
people say that.

Now we have a local gal who lives with us. She helps around the house with laundry and the
kids. She is from the province and a wonderful motivation because she does not know English
well. It forces me to learn and practice Tagalog.

MY GOAL
I want to be conversational in Tagalog. I dont have to know how to read or write
efficiently, but I want to be able to hold a conversation in Tagalog. I want the locals not
to feel like they need to switch to English when I am in the room and be able to track and
understand and contribute to their conversations.

MY LOG
I want to use this log to help track my progress. Writing helps me formulate my thoughts. I
hope this log will also be a form of accountability and motivation to keep at it.

MY PLAN
I want to get a language helper to come and converse with me in Tagalog 1-2 times a week. I
also want to start by focusing on the house. Because I am a stay at home mom and am home most
of the time... and because my biggest need to learn the language lives under my roof.... I
wanted to start by going room by room in our house and learning the vocab and phrases that I
will use in every day life.

For fun I want to get into kareoke. Kareoke is a big past time here. There are lots of
materials of local Tagalog songs. I enjoy music and think is is fun. I think being able to
see the lyrics on the screen and singing along will help my pronunication. There are also
several words that are repeated, so I might catch on the meaning quickly. Plus I think it
will be a fun thing to keep in learning in the language when I get tired or want to give up.

Okay thats it for now. thanks!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3324 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 10
07 April 2015 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Hello from a fellow Newbie! I laughed when I read the "is my nose bleeding" phrase. I think I'm going to start using that one.
1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3338 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 3 of 10
07 April 2015 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Love the title of your log, good luck with your language studies! :)

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 4 of 10
07 April 2015 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Thanks Clarity and Basica. Fun to connect with fellow "Newbies".

Ha ha... yup I will have to figure out how to say "is my nose bleeding?" in tagalog. Then I
can use it back at them when I start practicing and struggle. ha ha... :)

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 5 of 10
08 April 2015 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Just checking in.

So I feel like since I am just getting started that I am more of in the planning phase rather
than in the active learning stage.

I had an official converstation. We have a neighborhood vendor who sells taho (warm silk
tofu mixed with pearls and brown sugar syrup). I have ordered from him before but never
understood what he would ask. But this time I clearly understood him ask "Ilan po?" and I
answered "apat". Exciting! I always knew what what he asked me because of context but this
was the first time I heard it and understood.

Besides that I watch one 30 minute episode of a soap opera sort of thing. I maybe understood
what was going on but not because I understood the words but only because of nonverbals. I
could pick out a few words here or there (like he/she, sibling, want, what, it .... that sort
of thing) but I couldnt understand what they dialogue was.

I also listened to two songs over and over again for about 15-20 minutes. It was easier to
follow the songs and I was able to hear and pick out more words when I listened to just one
song over and over again and I was able to guess what it was about because of it.

I am now trying to decide how to approach my Tagalog textbook I got. Part of it is review
but I think I will still go over it. Minimum one lesson a week, but I think I can do more
espeically in the beginning when its reveiw.

I also made contacts to inquire about having someone meet with me about twice a week to help
me practice verbally. Right now the only verbal practice I have is a handful of sentences
and phrases I say throughout the day to my husband or kids or house helper.

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3371 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 6 of 10
08 April 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
This is awesome, Cindy!
I am a native Tagalog speaker and if you want help, just let me know.

is my nose bleeding - Dumudugo ba ang ilong ko? :D

(something is) nosebleed inducing - Nakaka-nosebleed naman

If I remember correctly, the whole nosebleed thing came from a Tagalog comedy movie
from years before. The protagonist is a pretty girl who is not so smart that her nose
bleeds every time someone talks to her in English :P

What songs are you listening to?

Good luck!! Sana mag-enjoy ka sa pag-aaral ng Tagalog. (Sorry, Taglish...)
(I hope you will enjoy learning Tagalog)

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 7 of 10
08 April 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
turorudi - What a helpful phrase thanks! Will have to practice that one.

Here are the songs:

Nandito Ako by Noel Cabangon
Huwag Mo Nang Itanong by Noel Cabangon
Ulan by Johnoy Danao
Ikaw at Ako by Johnoy Danao
Ikaw by Yeng Constantino

I like how they are slow enough to understand and hear the pronunciation. One song I heard on
the radio that I instantly liked was by Gloc9. I have never liked rap music before but the
words and sounds of the Tagalog language made it so beautiful. ha ha... so that is on my
list of ones I want to learn. ha ha quite advanced because of speed of rap music, but so
much fun! Oh the song I like is Ganda by Gloc 9.

Oh is that movie worth watching? The one where the nose bleed reference comes from? If so I
might have to add it to my list of movies to watch. I am assuming its in Tagalog? I guess
Taglish maybe?

Happy Day of Valor to you! Do you greet people on holidays like this?

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 8 of 10
09 April 2015 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Turondi I just read about the Day of Valor and the Bataan Death March. I imagine you
probably don't greet people with such a greeting on this day. Forgive me for my ignorance.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version