NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 10
09 April 2015 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Hello Log!

Yesterday was an encouraging day. I heard back from a Tagalog tutor that will let me sit in on a tutor session today
to get a feel as to how she tutors and if I would be interested in meeting with her.

Also yesterday I finally asked a friend if she knew of anyone who might be willing and able to just meet with me
regularly so that I can practice speaking Tagalog. She got back to me right away and told me she had two friends
who were more than willing to help me practice!

Then I was at a meeting and someone asked me if I knew Tagalog? I said I was trying to learn. And I got up the
nerve to then say in Tagalog "Nagaaral ako ng Tagalog." They were instantly relieved that they didn't have to keep
switching to English for me and were thankful they could keep speaking in Tagalog.

These things encouraged me immensely! And it was motivating too to see that the locals, deep down, really do
prefer to speak in Tagalog. Seeing that preference helps motivate me to keep studying.

Oh and the same friend told me that she would try to coordinate cooking days (just an excuse to gather a few
friends together) and tell them to only speak Tagalog with me during that time.

These are so helpful for me. I have almost lived here in Manila for 1 full year. And it was about 7 months into my
stay where I had the first person speak to me in Tagalog and not English. 7 months and I never encountered a
situation where conversation with me was initiated in Tagalog. Realizing it is hard to get people to speak Tagalog
with me, the events of yesterday was great encouragement.

Edited by CindytheKana on 09 April 2015 at 12:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3371 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 10 of 10
13 April 2015 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Hi Cindy! Kumusta?
Ang init na ng panahon dito sa Pilipinas...

No worries, don't apologize. It is perfectly understandable. :)

Wow, you have an excellent selection of songs!! Noel Cabangon is a very respected musician. I really love
Huwag Mo Nang Itanong -- it is an original by the band called "Eraserheads". Paborito ko ang Eraserheads mula
nung bata pa ako (The Eraserheads are my favorite since I was young). They have great Tagalog songs too. I
like Gloc9's Sirena. Pero kagaya mo, hindi ko rin masyadong gusto ang rap music (But like you, I am not really
a big fan of rap music) :)

Noel did songs from the Eraserheads, Rivermaya and Rizal Underground, all great bands that I grew up with in
the 90s.

I will send you a message about the movie in a bit. Locally, movies that are quite popular are usually rom-
coms. Last year, "That Thing Called Tadhana" was a big hit. Tadhana means destiny. Another popular one was
"English Only, Please". Despite the title, the movie is about 90% Tagalog :)
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version