Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 14
14 April 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
OK, stelingo, for learning with a transcript, my favorite Brazilian podcast is Luciano Pires' Café Brasil. Each one is around 25 minutes long. They are downloadable in mp3 with a transcript available. The podcasts are about varied topics each "illustrated" with a fair amount of classic Brazilian music. I haven't used the transcripts in years but they are accurate. I still listen weekly and enjoy the programs.

Other Brazilian podcasts with transcripts include the NHK Portuguese News that smallwhite posted. Though from Japan, the Portuguese is Brazilian. The newscast is probably the driest, least interesting newscast out there available. It is a 15 minute newscast. The content is a dry recitation mostly reflecting what the Japanese consider important- the Japanese economy, perceived threats from China and North Korea, Asia-Pacific economy, the Yen-USD rate, US military base in Okinawa, etc. It couldn't be more boring if they tried- and they do- but it has an accurate transcript and thus highly useful when learning.

At the other end of the scale, I also used the Escriba Café podcast when learning. Escriba Café is about historical topics from all over the world. It is highly interesting entertaining and comes with an accurate transcript.

There are a great number of other podcasts available without transcripts. I listen to the RFI Brasil news program every day on my morning walk. It is Brazilian Portuguese and very interesting. I like the perspective and style which isn't "just the facts, dry recitation". CBN Brasil has a wide range of podcasts available as does Rádio Globo.

This should get you started.

Edited by iguanamon on 14 April 2015 at 1:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 10 of 14
14 April 2015 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4858 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 14
14 April 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon's stuff is all good, but Brazil also generates a surprisingly large and high-quality community of
amateur podcasting. These typically involve round-table discussions using very informal conversational
language, but with sound editing to make it easier to follow while listening. Because of this, Brazilian Portuguese
is one of the easiest languages in which to find really authentic conversational language to listen to on the
Internet.

Examples:
NerdCast (mix of "geeky" topics including technology and pop culture)
SciCast (talk about science and technology)
Papo de Gordo (slightly themed on living with obesity, but mostly general-interest)

But there are way more that you can find by scrolling through the iTunes popularity lists or by listening to one of
the above and following on-air guest podcasters and recommendations. I can't think of any other country where
the amateur podcasts compete so well with professional radio.

Edited by robarb on 14 April 2015 at 7:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4646 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 12 of 14
20 April 2015 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
I tried going to that Escriba Café link above but it said the account was suspended. Is there another place to get that podcast?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 13 of 14
20 April 2015 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
According to the twitter account "Escriba Cafe temporariamente inacessível - Devido a um ataque hacker, o site do Escriba Cafe foi..." followed by a link to a tumbler page that says

"Devido a um ataque hacker, o site do Escriba Cafe foi temporariamente desativado para manutenção. A competente equipe do RTCN Host, que gerencia nossos servidores, está trabalhando a todo vapor para reestabelecer a conexão.

UPDATE: Escriba Cafe de volta ao ar."

But I still don't get anything there. Maybe it will be back soon

The podcasts are available on itunes for free but I know nothing of the apple-verse and somehow, I doubt if the transcripts come with them. Of course, that's why I recommended it. A transcript makes a huge difference when you're learning.

Edited by iguanamon on 20 April 2015 at 4:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 14 of 14
23 April 2015 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Update: Escriba Café is back online now.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version