Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 14
08 April 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,
   I decided that my second new language will be MSA. I'm thrilled by the culture and
by it's colourful language and difficult grammar. It will give me a significant edge
with other languages too.

Because of the completely different nature of the language, I want to try Emanuele
Marini's method of studying all the grammarfirst as a model of the language, and then
fill it with words and expression. I don't aim to speak MSA, but to read, write and
listen to it.

My plan is
- first phase: grammar study and writing exercises
- second phase: massive reading and vocabulary learning
- third phase: LR, some tutoring to learn pronunciation
- fourth phase: massive input, both reading and listening

Ok! so, about the first phase.
I read around that a fantastic grammar book is this (though some minor flaw).

But it is in English. It's obviously not a problem, but I consider also books in
Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese.
Can you please advice me some? Thank you very much.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I already studied the Arabic alphabet when I studied a little Persian, so I will just refresh them but I don't need material for that.

Edited by tristano on 08 April 2015 at 3:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 14
08 April 2015 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Ciao, Tristano.

So, you're going to try your first "real" foreign language, are you? No more accomodating Latin alphabet or IE structure? Good for you!

There's a big number of Arabic grammars in the market. When I was learning it formally, I never got one: our teacher would make a manual and then explain it to us. So, I have no Romance-based grammar to recommend, although there must be some good ones. I'm thinking about French, and maybe Spanish. My teacher spoke very highly of German materials (language which he didn't know himself), but that's beyond the scope of your question.

Besides from Haywood & Nahmad, which you mention, the other that usually gets the best reviews is that of Wright. I don't have extensive experience with either, but at least you may have a second reference.

Good luck!

fiolmattias
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
geocities.com/fiolmaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6488 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 14
08 April 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
If your goal is MSA, and not Classical Arabic I would not recommend Wright at all,
since it deals with Classical Arabic.
Haywood & Nahmad is not my first choise either. The English is oldfashioned and so is
the layout. The only good thing with it is the exercises, but to be able to do them
you have to have a fairly large vocabulary (2000-4000 words).

My recommendation is instead Rydings grammar (super!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reference-Grammar-Modern-Standard-
Grammars/dp/0521777712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428517773&sr= 8-
1&keywords=ryding+arabic+grammar

or Alhawary that is easier to read:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Standard-Arabic-Grammar-
Blackwell/dp/1405155027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428517686&sr =8-
1&keywords=alhawary+grammar

Edited by fiolmattias on 08 April 2015 at 8:38pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 4 of 14
09 April 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Hi. If you're new to MSA I would recommend Mastering Arabic 1 and/or
Mastering Arabic Grammar by Wightwick before tackling one of the heavy
grammar. They allow you to gently dip your toe at the shallow end of MSA
grammar before taking the plunge at the deep end.

La lingua araba contemporanea by Claudia M Tresso is also good for
beginners but goes into more detail than Wightwick.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 5 of 14
09 April 2015 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, thanks for your answers.

@Luso, thanks :) Actually I tried with Mandarin last year and it was a disaster. Wrong
approach, almost no experience with language learning. Now I speak two languages more
and I have better skills and better tools. In general can be useful a reference
grammar, but now I need a grammar with exercises.

@fiolmattias: the old fashioned English and the layout is not a problem. I need to
learn to structure of Arabic thoroughly. If not the 100%, at least the 90%, to be sure
that I'm not facing the issue to understand the meaning of every word but not the
meaning of the sentence. I really need the exercises, so every grammar without
exercises will be useless for me at this specific moment. And here I would like to
understand your statement about the vocabulary better. I expect, with a grammar of
Arabic, since the vocabulary is structured in radicals, that the vocabulary has to be
presented at the same time of the grammar. Is not the case? Are you suggesting that
this book is not for beginners?

@stelingo, thank you very much for the advice! It would be very nice if I can use the
italian book, but unfortunately I didn't find many information of it - and Italian
reviewers still didn't understand that they have to put a review of the item, not the
shipping. Did you use it? Do you find it more difficult of Mastering Arabic grammar?

Also. I wrote that I know the alphabet and I just need to refresh it.
True.
But I never wrote it by hand. I think it would be much better if I can exercise the
handwriting. Do you guys know very valuable books for it, to avoid to do exercises
with an abysmal calligraphy?

Thank you again!

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 6 of 14
09 April 2015 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Yes, I've done the first few chapters. It is more of a course book with
dialogues, but the grammar explanation are clear and detailed and there
are plenty of exercises. For example the book devotes two whole chapters
on Arabic numbers and case agreement, a very thorough coverage of a topic
that native speakers struggle with. There is also some audio.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 7 of 14
09 April 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I almost forgot there is also a series of books in the "Practise makes
Perfect" series which are also good. I have "Practice Makes Perfect
Arabic Verb Tenses" also by Wightwick. This is pure grammar with hundreds
of exercises. I have so many books on MSA and not enough time to use them
all.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 14
09 April 2015 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
A few points:

fiolmattias wrote:
If your goal is MSA, and not Classical Arabic I would not recommend Wright at all, since it deals with Classical Arabic.
Haywood & Nahmad is not my first choise either. The English is oldfashioned and so is the layout. The only good thing with it is the exercises, but to be able to do them you have to have a fairly large vocabulary (2000-4000 words).

Point(s) taken. As I said, my experience with either is limited.

I didn't know that Wright's grammar could be viewed as Classical Arabic. Coming to think of it, dating originally from 1859 (and being a translation from an earlier source), could it ever be considered as MSA either? Furthermore, it's a bit obscure and uses all those latinisms. Mid 19th century indeed. In any case, I agree it's not for tristano, at least for now. Maybe one day he'll be able to enjoy "The Nomina Agentis et Patientis and other Verbal Adjectives". :P

I like (and use) Ryding's grammar. Maybe I should have started with that one. Thanks for the suggestion, fiolmattias.

tristano wrote:
@Luso, thanks :) Actually I tried with Mandarin last year and it was a disaster. Wrong approach, almost no experience with language learning. Now I speak two languages more and I have better skills and better tools.

It's still a whole new ballgame. More rewarding, IMHO, but different. Go easy into it. In Portuguese, we have a saying: "Roma e Pavia não se fizeram num dia". ;)

tristano wrote:
@fiolmattias: the old fashioned English and the layout is not a problem. I need to learn to structure of Arabic thoroughly. If not the 100%, at least the 90%, to be sure that I'm not facing the issue to understand the meaning of every word but not the meaning of the sentence. I really need the exercises, so every grammar without exercises will be useless for me at this specific moment.

Sorry to barge in, but are you sure you want to find your exercises in a grammar? In principle, you should find those in your learning method (whatever it is).

tristano wrote:
@stelingo, thank you very much for the advice! It would be very nice if I can use the Italian book, but unfortunately I didn't find many information of it - and Italian reviewers still didn't understand that they have to put a review of the item, not the shipping. Did you use it? Do you find it more difficult of Mastering Arabic grammar?

Me again. :) It's not really a review, but I found this on Goodreads. And it's in Italian!

tristano wrote:
Also. I wrote that I know the alphabet and I just need to refresh it.
True.
But I never wrote it by hand. I think it would be much better if I can exercise the handwriting. Do you guys know very valuable books for it, to avoid to do exercises with an abysmal calligraphy?

There are calligraphy notebooks, but you don't really need them. I got one (in fact, two) as a gift. My girlfriend ordered them from a site in France. Since there are millions of Europeans learning Arabic for religion-related purposes (including a lot of children), you should be able to find one such site easily.

I found them beautiful and never really used them. They are still in a drawer. As it happens, I have a good (and fast) Arabic calligraphy. Being left-handed must help. :P

If you want to train your calligraphy, just buy an old-fashioned "notebook of two lines" (is that the expression in English?). They are used by small children starting to write. They are rare nowadays (it's a pity), but I used them a lot as a kid, back in the Dark Ages.

As for examples of proper technique, try youtube. Many beautiful videos there. Stopping watching will be your problem.

Edited by Luso on 09 April 2015 at 2:25pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version