Tags: Computer
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
nonato
Belgium
Joined 5524 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 6
10 April 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Can anyone recommend any computer assisted language learning programmes for helping young learners?
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 6
10 April 2015 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
This might sound like a stupid question; but in order to learn what?

For example if you want to learn vocabulary or memorise facts, etc, then I suggest you use a flashcard program like ANKI. But if you are looking for language specific programs, e.g. something that will teach you French or Italian or Mandarin, then you're going to have to be more specific in order to get better recommendations.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 6
11 April 2015 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
There are a number of programs for Spanish. There is one by Pimsleur (I think it is called Little Pim) which has numerous videos for various languages. There is also a fairly easy to find program called Super Gato. For really little kids who are also starting to learn their native languages they can simply watch foreign language cartoons... caillou in Spanish would be cool.

Edit: I missed the "computer" part of the question. Sorry. I cannot think of any computer programs for kids to learn a foreign language.

Edited by James29 on 11 April 2015 at 12:34pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 6
11 April 2015 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Another question. How young?

Kids in primary school? Teenagers?

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 6
12 April 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
The following suppliers offer supplementary materials that are appropriate for children and teenagers. I have purchased a few of their products that are designed for adults. In terms of quality, they're "okay". Some of them run on computers, but none of them are stand-alone courses.

Revilo Education

Teacher's Discovery

Also, you might find some elementary material at Multilingual Books. They have a section labelled Children's Courses at the bottom of their webpage, but I suspect that these are mostly Book+CD courses.

And, finally, I conducted a quick Google Search and came up with the following sites:

Mango Languages

BBC Muzzy

Little Pim mentioned above

Foreign Languages for Kids

Google Search: Teaching Foreign Languages to Children

Disclaimer: I have not tried any of the above sites and thereby cannot comment on the suitability of their products for children, the quality of their services, or any other matter relating to them.

Edited by Speakeasy on 13 April 2015 at 12:15am

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 6 of 6
13 April 2015 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Brain Pop is a really cool computerized learning site for kids that you can use in foreign languages. Just set the base language to the language you want the child to learn.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version