DrX
Ireland
Joined 3319 days ago

18 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
11 April 2015 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

On the michel thomas German courses, he instructs to pronounce ung as unk with a sharp k sound. Throughout my further studies I have never heard this anywhere. Although I did hear once a German radio news programme pronounce washington as washinkton. So maybe he got mixed up.

A thread from a few years back also said he mistaught lange and lan-ge.

Does anyone know if UNK is some obscure regional variant? or did he go mad in his old age :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5119 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 7
11 April 2015 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
DrX wrote:
On the michel thomas German courses, he instructs to pronounce ung as unk with a sharp k sound. Throughout my further studies I have never heard this anywhere. Although I did hear once a German radio news programme pronounce washington as washinkton.

AFAIK, in standard German, the ending -ung is supposed to be pronounced as [ʊŋ].
For example, Richtung [ˈrɪçtʊŋ].

(For those not familiar with IPA, [ŋ] is the "g" sound in the English word finger.)

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5293 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 3 of 7
12 April 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
I was taught in my college German class that anything ending in "ung" was pronounced
"unk." My instructor was a native speaker, so it could be dialectical I guess.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 4 of 7
12 April 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Thomas was wrong but some German speakers do pronounce it his way. I think it must be a
dialect issue as Silvance says. He gets a few things wrong that are far more important
than this issue in his German course (due, I think, to interference from his native
Yiddish), such as the meaning of "Sie müssen nicht", etc; but it's still his best
course IMO and without doubt one of the best language courses I've ever experienced.

The problems come if you don't use his courses the way he tells you to, specifically if
you try to learn the course. YOU MUSTN'T DO THAT AND HE HIMSELF SAID NOT TO! Simply
work through the course and you will internalise the basic grammar of the language,
THEN MOVE ON. At most you might repeat the course once after a break of a few weeks,
but no more than that.

I've had this argument before on here and plenty of better learners than me disagree,
but the above is my strong opinion FWIW.

Edited by Random review on 12 April 2015 at 4:06pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4033 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 5 of 7
12 April 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I agree on the point that you definitely shouldn't pay too much attention to his pronunciation. You have millions of native speakers do to that with :)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 7
12 April 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Here's a good source for checking pronunciation:
http://www.forvo.com/word/richtung/
2 persons have voted this message useful

DrX
Ireland
Joined 3319 days ago

18 posts - 21 votes

Message 7 of 7
12 April 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks,

Hmmm yes it must be regional as my college instructor always seemed surprised when I would say UNK but never shocked as in that I had it wrong and never corrected me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version