Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
15 April 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I recently read the book "Fluent Forever" by Gabriel Wyner and really like how it's
structured to break down a language into pieces that fit into a SRS system (like Anki).
So this is my journal of me trying it out while restarting my learning of French.

First step was to gather sounds from the language and create flash cards that learned me
the sounds of the language. Still struggling with the rolling R but beyond that I've gone
through most of the cards and I now have it easier to remember the sounds of new words.

Edited by juman on 16 April 2015 at 3:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

TimmyTurner93
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3469 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 2 of 8
15 April 2015 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I also read and liked that book. I'm using his techniques for both my languages
(alongside some other techniques i picked up on this site) so it will be nice to see how
someone else progresses with it. I'm still on the word list for Japanese and on the
grammar stage with Portuguese. Like the book said utilize mnemonics for different
conjugations (i.e. future subj or past perfect) it really does save time and makes it
easier to remember.
1 person has voted this message useful

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 3 of 8
16 April 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi Timmy, using the mnemonics I have tried before but then more to place a word list
somewhere to be able to "walk through" it to repeat it.

Now everything is a mnemonic as words are not memorized with an image and not the
translation. The image shows what the word means and it's really much easier to
remember that way then by going by the direct translations which I have tried before.

So far I have gone through up until the letter b in the wordlist so I have plenty of
words left but will still start to look into a grammar book to use to start the next
step.

One thing this book mentions is to use sound pairs to learn to hear the different
sounds which is a good plan but it's hard to find such words so I'm skipping it until
I run into them.

The next step is to continue with the word list and find some grammar material with
audio to study.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 4 of 8
21 April 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Until now I have only studied my flash cards and also played around a bit with subs2srs. Doing some
trials though I'm not sure it's productive for me at my current level and the generated cards are way
above my level. Will do some additional testing but might skip it if I don't notice any progress.

For Anki I have studied my Fluent Forever cards for 115 mins for the last 14 days and added 295
cards in total. I start to run out of new cards so will sit down to create another batch soon. But will
probably spend some time with the next step (create grammatical cards) first to prepare the
templates.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 5 of 8
03 May 2015 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Added another 60 flash cards to Anki to review during the week. Spent some time setting
up a sentence template as I don't fully like the ones that came with the book. Haven't
had time to add anything new until now so my reviews are down to 2-3 minutes per day for
now. Will try to work up at least 2 sessions per week where I add new cards and slowly
raise my amount of new cards I review per day. For now I do at most 10 but would like to
be beyond 30.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 6 of 8
11 May 2015 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
My reviews of the cards in Anki is working perfectly. Had some issues with setting up a good
sentence template and still not sure if I'm done yet. But I have something to start with right now and
that will do.

My time spent reviewing cards to actually creating new ones is really uneven I need to find more time
to create new cards. It's easier to do the reviews as I can do them wherever I am but creating new
cards takes quite a lot of time and effort and finding the time for it is quite hard.

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3377 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 7 of 8
11 May 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Great idea for a log! Fluent Forever was influential for me when I started learning Irish a
few months ago, and now you've inspired me to pick it up again. The book got me motivated to
re-explore Anki and expand my card creation skills, though I then got so busy studying my
cards that I forgot to finish the book. Fortunately your log's appearance got me reading
again, so thanks! I will be following this log with interest.

I'd be curious to hear about your sentence template issues, too.

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5020 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 8 of 8
15 May 2015 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
tangleweeds wrote:
I'd be curious to hear about your sentence template issues, too.

My issues where first to get a template flexible enough for my needs (I haven't really
used the ones from the book but create my own). And I know how them set up as I want them
and the issues I was having was creating one template which can be used for sentences
with a new word order, sentences with clozed words, sentences with clozed words with a
new form.

So getting up to speed now and have averaged adding 10-20 new cards per day and time
spent on reviewing cards has grown from about 5-6 min per day to know be above 10 minutes
per day.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version