Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5338 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
17 April 2015 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
Could anybody recommend a Japanese word frequency list with English translation for each word? Top 100, 500, 1000, or more words, any one is fine. I do need the English translation on the side. Thanks very much!

I find this
http://www.offbeatband.com/2010/12/the-most-commonly-used-ja panese-words-by-frequency/
The lists are very good but without translation, they're not very useful to a beginner.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4145 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
17 April 2015 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Perhaps try Epwing2Anki?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4464 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 3 of 7
17 April 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
A Frequency Dictionary of Japanese is an invaluable tool for all learners of Japanese, providing a list of the 5,000 most commonly used words in the language

Routledge Frequency Dictionaries
3 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 4 of 7
17 April 2015 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Agreed with Medulin. I have rather liked Routledge Frequency Dictionaries.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4461 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 7
18 April 2015 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
I find this
http://www.offbeatband.com/2010/12/the-most-commonly-used-ja panese-words-by-frequency/
The lists are very good but without translation, they're not very useful to a beginner.

So how do you know they're very good :-)

Somewhat more seriously, why do you want a list of words?

If you are learning from a set of textbooks, I'd make (or look for) lists of the vocabulary that the
textbooks use, as that's what you really need right now. (I use Anki to handle learning vocabulary,
but there are plenty of other methods available).

Otherwise you could look at the memrise.com JLPT N5, N4 and N3 courses (in that order). The JLPT is
the Japanese language proficiency test. I found it pretty useful to help me keep on top of my
studies. You don't need to do the exams: the vocabulary itself is pretty useful and supplements my
text books (Minna No Nihongo) quite nicely.

As for the original lists, even though they don't have a translation, you can copy+paste any word
into an online dictionary (such as tangorin.com) and see the word in kana (so you can pronounce it)
and a translation.

Yrek
Pentaglot
Poland
Joined 3383 days ago

34 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Japanese, Korean, English, Mandarin
Studies: Vietnamese
Studies: Hungarian, Mongolian

Message 6 of 7
26 June 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Not exactly what you want but

http://www.manythings.org/japanese/jlpt/

It's jlpt list (10 000 words) and another list of common words.

On the website you can look up the word in a dictionary and see example sentences, but
not all links work (Jim Brenn is down).

I think you can also find these lists in shared anki sets.

Edited by Yrek on 26 June 2015 at 2:34am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4593 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 7 of 7
27 June 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
If what you are after are frequency lists, I second Medullin's post. The Routledge Frequency Dictionary is awesome.

I also have the list you found, and it's very useful, but it's been sourced from light novels. Since light novels target a younger demographic,
you'd find a lot of common usage words, especially towards the beginning. All you have to do is copy/paste the words in an online dictionary and
you'd have your meanings. Tangorin and Jisho are good places to start.
Rikaichan/Rikaisama are also browser pop-up dictionaries that you could find useful.

Jpod101 I think has a 2000-4000 frequency list, but it probably require a paid subscription, if that's something you're willing to do.

If you use a textbook, or something like Assimil, as dampingwire said, the individual chapters have word lists. Assimil have a glossary at the
end of its volumes, with all the words used in the book in alphabetical order, as well as their meanings.

The Memrise site, and the site Yrek mentioned, both have JLPT lists. Add to that the Tanos website. Here's the
link. He also has kanji and grammar points and a lot of very useful tips.

And shared Anki decks have a lot of frequency lists. However, I'm not sure how it is now since they removed a ton of decks based on copyright
grounds. Might be worth checking the Anki shared decks page and see if you find anything interesting.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version