26 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 26
19 April 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
There are more niqqud than just the patach that represent the vowel /a/.

Aleph does represent the glottal stop, it's just often dropped as an initial (which is
its most common use as a mater lectionis). In loanwords it may represent /a/ but that is
because the glottal stop is assumed silent in that case.

However you can also see /e/ underneath or even /o/ (think of לא). Just because the
niqqud aren't written doesn't mean they're not there!
1 person has voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6621 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 18 of 26
19 April 2015 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Well, both ways, the matter is more complicated. First of all, aleph designates a glottal
stop! If you want to indicate an a-sound, you need the respective niqqud sign ("patach"). As
Modern Hebrew normally doesn't use niqqud, writing an aleph as mater lectionis has become the
usual way of indicating an a-sound where it seems necessary (i.e. in loanwords etc.). I think
Modern Hebrew inherited this system from Yiddish (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yiddish doesn't need the vowel points.
See.

They've been used in the bible for ages.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 19 of 26
19 April 2015 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
There are more niqqud than just the patach that represent the vowel /a/.

So, first of all, you are absolutely right that, in Modern Hebrew, there are several signs indicating /a/, however I meant to say that patach was the sign for /a/ in Biblical Hebrew. I somehow jumped from Biblical to Modern Hebrew in the middle of my post without making that clear. Sorry for that, but I edited my post several times and somehow lost track of its inner logic. Anyway, all the other niqqud signs which are pronounced /a/ in Modern Hebrew today had different sounds in Biblical times.

Quote:
Aleph does represent the glottal stop, it's just often dropped as an initial (which is its most common use as a mater lectionis). In loanwords it may represent /a/ but that is because the glottal stop is assumed silent in that case.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say! In loanwords and even some Hebrew words, consonant signs like א , ו, י, and ע can be used to designate vowel sounds. This is a practice which comes from Yiddish and whose name I forget. If I had the Routledge Modern Hebrew book here, I could look up its name. Of course, the niqqud is still there (in theory), but the consonant signs serve as matres lectionis (so, yes, of course they’re silent) for the vowel sounds. That’s what I meant to say by "א can be used as an A". Of course, that was oversimplified, but I didn’t deem it necessary to discuss the entire Hebrew alphabet here.

Quote:
However you can also see /e/ underneath or even /o/ (think of לא). Just because the niqqud aren't written doesn't mean they're not there!

Yes, of course! But that’s restricted to traditional Hebrew words. Once again, sorry for oversimplifying the matter.

AML wrote:
Yiddish doesn't need the vowel points.
See.

They've been used in the bible for ages.

Yeah, that’s what I said. The niqqud signs have been invented to add the vowel sounds to Biblical and other theological texts without changing the written (consonant) letters, because the written word was considered holy and unchangeable.

However, Yiddish couldn’t be written with consonant letters alone, because it’s not a Semitic language, so you needed to write the vowels in order to produce intelligible text. Instead of putting tiny dots and dashes beneath each letter, people simply used consonant letters which were useless in Yiddish (such as ע, because there are no pharyngeal consonants in Yiddish) and turned them into vowels.

Also, they adapted the system of the matres lectionis from Hebrew and turned it into the ordinary way of indicating /a/, /i/, /o/, and /u/ by using א, י, ו exclusively as vowels. At the same time, י and ו were doubled when they were used to indicate /j/ and /v/ (ײ, װ). This system was adapted by Modern Hebrew to indicate vowels in loanwords and to write Hebrew words which might be ambiguous without any indication of vowels.

And, as I said, this practice has a special name which I have unfortunately forgotten. But I will look it up, if need be.

EDIT: Sorry, the Hebrew letters are all in the wrong order and don't match the order in which I wrote their sounds. The forum seems to have some issues with right-to-left text...

Edited by Josquin on 19 April 2015 at 1:50pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 26
19 April 2015 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it's one of the spelling formats. It's actually the most common one too (for
example, everyone writes vav in the -ot plural). I forgot the name, I think that is the
first thing the Routledge book explains. I don't have my copy with me either (it's in the
Netherlands).

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5104 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 21 of 26
20 April 2015 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I noticed the letter ℵ in the background image of this forum. Near the left edge, a bit above the Omega. Is it an ℵ?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 26
20 April 2015 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Yes, from my limited experience with Yiddish I really think it's that :)

There's also ש which is related to the cyrillic щ that is near it.

Edited by Serpent on 20 April 2015 at 4:25am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 26
27 April 2015 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Sorry, but I object strongly to this post.

You strongly object to someone being told: "if in the future you want faster answers, here's how"? I never expected anyone to have a very firm negative opinion on guiding people towards optional efficiency in their simple yes/no or quick basic fact questions.

Yes, I strongly object. He didn't ask how to find information efficiently, he asked a question which has resulted in a very interesting discussion (unfortunately I haven't been getting emails about updates, so this response is a bit late). The OP didn't ask for efficiency, and if they took your advice then the rest of us would have been deprived of the discussion. I thought I made that clear. I object to any response which might discourage people from asking questions.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4931 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 24 of 26
07 May 2015 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Chill out, guys. This is my way of seeking information. I will just post my question to a forum I'm a member of, and while waiting for other members to answer I google it up myself. I do that just in case that my searching doesn't get any result at all and other people just happen to know more about it.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version