Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 9 of 22
20 April 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I believe that using the services of a good professional tutor is one of the best things one can do to improve
one's language performance. I won't repeat what others have said here. For me it boils down to one key thing:
corrective feedback from a native speaker.

The plain truth is that you can't correct yourself. Sure, you can try, but why waste time trying to figure out what
you're doing wrong when you can get instant help from an expert. I'll just give one tiny example. In my case I
write around two pages of Spanish in the form of a real letter every week. I'm up to 40 letters now. With my tutor,
one of our activities is to review and correct this letter. My writing is constantly improving but I still make
mistakes. We also get into discussions about style and word usage. I look at the before and after results and see
what I have to work on by myself.

The whole process is very encouraging and helpful because I see the improvement. This does wonders for self-
esteem and confidence. There is absolutely no way that I could correct my own writing to this degree. If you can
afford it, get a good tutor right now.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 22
20 April 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The plain truth is that you can't correct yourself. Sure, you can try, but why waste time
trying to figure out what you're doing wrong when you can get instant help from an expert. I'll just give one
tiny example. In my case I write around two pages of Spanish in the form of a real letter every week. I'm up to
40 letters now.

Are you still using the same 300 words?
7 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 11 of 22
20 April 2015 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I know that this last post from a rather nasty piece of work was meant to be another example of what I call
"scurrilous and puerile posts", but it is a good opportunity to raise a key point that I noticed when using the
services of a Mexican tutor. Working for nearly a year with a good tutor has confirmed once and for all the
importance of mastering what I call the working kernel of the language. The big mistake I was making when I
started out was trying to show off all the many words and complex grammatical structures I could think of.

All of this made my tutor chuckle, and I soon realized that there was no point in trying to display my linguistic
prowess when I only ended up tripping over very basic things that I had never really totally mastered. Just last
week I found myself hesitating over the conjugation of satisfacer.

The solution I found was to go right back to that 300-word kernel - actually more like 500 words - that I had
worked on with a group of colleagues. So, instead of spreading myself thin and ending up looking like a
pretentious fool, I have found that concentrating on those high-frequency structures has been very effective for
gaining accuracy and fluency. This is working out exactly as I had predicted.

Edited by s_allard on 20 April 2015 at 10:19pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 22
21 April 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Well, lots of input can take care about this problem with figuring out what you do
need and what not as well. But you still need to know much more than just the very
narrow selection of words and structures, even if you don't use them every time. At
least if you like to speak about more things than the normal touristy stuff.

I think you can as well correct a lot of your own mistakes as well (depends on the
kind of mistake but really a lot can be corrected if you use some time gap between
writing and correction, a reliable grammar resource and google to check things out in
tons of authentic texts on the internet), even thought a tutor is a more comfortable
and complex option. Of course, a tutor is a much more practical option for correcting
an essai that needs to follow some strict formal criteria while it is, in my opinion,
an unnecesary luxuy when it comes to a simple "describe your room" beginner task.

however, I wonder why so many people are using tutors for regular explanations of
grammar and such things where you have sooo many cheaper (and often better) resources
available. But if someone has that much money and time to spend, whatever.

But I totally agree with tarvos. A tutor is a solution if you just need someone to
speak with and cannot find an exchange partner (such as when you can find no natives
interested in exchanging their language for yours). And you need your own plan and
just use the tutor as a part of it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: looking for a good tutor.
I found it good to get references but they aren't always reliable, true.
Many tutors offer first meeting for free or reduced price, which is a great thing, in
my opinion. If they don't mention it in their advertisements, you might want to ask
about it.
Some tutor finding platforms, such as italki, have a reference system as well. A non-
internet based alternative are language schools that offer individual lessons but just
make yourself informed in time whether such classes follow the school's class aimed
methodology as well or whether you'll have more freedom.

But despite all of this, you may encounter a bad tutor or just one that doesn't suit
you. Never forget you are the one who pays so tell them your needs and find someone
else if the differences between your expectations and reality are too big. After all,
the prices are not that low usually and the time wasted with a bad tutor could be
invested elsewhere.
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 22
21 April 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
What is your budget? I also find it strange to do grammar with a tutor when it could
be done with for example, a grammar manual or some other book. And as said above, if
money is no problem, or something else like you are a multi-millionaire, then that
would not be a problem. Some people spend 5000€ on a first class flight, so it would
be no surprise to me.

I never used one because of many reasons, but in terms of financial efficiency it
makes sense to use the tutor for all things that give you problems when doing things
alone if you cannot solve it on your own, not things that you already can easily do
and practise alone. Also I am not sure how much tutoring costs, but if it is sometihng
like 50€ per week, it is a big sum of money and you are lucky to have the opportunity
to afford that. Almost 1€/min to me means to use the session in blocks with each
week's problems and serious one-to-one improvement instead of doing things that can be
done alone.

If for example, you earn 10000€ per year and are about to be foreclosed and all family
members have lost their jobs, then this is when it becomes complicated. Perhaps less
sessions, like twice a month, and make a list (checklist) by handwriting of all
problem areas between each 2 weeks to maximise results from the session. Probably also
should file the checklists and review every few months to see if the goals have been
attained from each checklist.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 21 April 2015 at 2:32am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 22
21 April 2015 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
I charge $16/h for professional classes, $13 for informal tutoring. For professional
classes this implies more prep work on my part, that's why I charge more. I tutor Dutch
and English. (But if you contact me privately I am willing to tutor Russian or French if
you are a beginner, too).

Most people take 1-2 hours a week with me, and in this case, they spend $15 or so a week
(depending on the way they buy classes; taking 30 min classes with me works out a bit
more expensive). I don't know what it comes down to in euro since it depends on the
currency conversion, but the classes I do outside iTalki are in euro and I just receive
€12 an hour for that.

Edited by tarvos on 21 April 2015 at 6:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 15 of 22
21 April 2015 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
I find it very amusing observing people trying to show that a tutor is not necessary or might be overkill when, in my
opinion, the only good reason for not using a tutor is simply the high cost. Can you correct your own mistakes by
using a dictionary, a grammar book and google? For certain things, probably. But for something like conversational
interaction, nothing can beat on-the-spot correction. What about correcting your pronunciation?

What about deciphering a recording or a piece of written text? I have literally spent hours trying to just make out
what a person was saying on a recording when the tutor was able to explain what the problem was in a few minutes.
That's the whole point of using a good tutor. It makes everything just so much faster and more effective. All for a
price.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 22
21 April 2015 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
But there are plenty things a dictionary and a grammar can solve for you. The key is
to know what you can do at home and what you can discuss with your tutor. You can
spend much less on a tutor if you know exactly what it is you need the tutor for. I
call this targeted learning. You need to use the tools to suit your goals, not
modify the goals to suit your tools. A tutor is an important tool, but for some things
tutoring is entirely useless. I can read grammar conjugations on my own, I don't need
tutors to drill me on it and when they try I usually tell them "I already know all of
this" and give them the entire list upon which they're like "have to be more creative
with you" next time.

About written texts, you don't generally need a tutor except for a bunch of idiomatic
specifics usually. Recordings are another matter entirely. There I entirely agree.

But yes, you can drastically reduce your own mistakes by being attentive and careful,
which is something I am unfortunately horrible at. Being thorough with your own
writing reduces the amount of silly, unnecessary mistakes by at least half.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version